The Unbearable Lightness of Koontz

Well, not currently. But a month ago? Yes. It’s not even really funny, just sad and disturbing. As I understand it, the entire qt3 channel pretty much knows about it, and it’s probably testament to what a bad taste it left in everyone’s mouth that no one’s mentioned it here. Koontz needs serious psychological help.

Citations?

None. Given to me by a third party who heard him say it in IRC.

I’m thinking I missed something.
<-- n00b

Since I don’t frequent the qt3 IRC channel (or any other IRC channel, for that matter), this is news to me. Yikes. As I said to Tom at the San Diego get-together, I’ve always thought Koontz displayed the symptoms of schizoaffective disorder. Looks like I was right…and I think it’s pretty obvious whose doorstep he showed up on…

Well, I don’t hang out there either. The reason I know about this is because Koontz wrote me this really weird email out of the blue, begging for my forgiveness for telling me he loathed me. I wrote him back, basically telling him it was over a year ago and I’d never really taken our interactions very seriously, so I didn’t even remember this. But it was so odd I started asking some of the IRC members (where Koontz was a regular) if they had any idea what it was about, and the entire torrid tale spilled right into my lap.

It was very creepy. He was summarily rejected, seemed to take it to heart for a little while, went home with his tail between his legs. But if you follow his blog, you can quickly see how he kept on thinking about it until he decided that, actually, she loved him after all, but it was only some deep psychological hang-up that prevented her from acknowledging it. I’m betting dollars to donuts he’ll show up on her doorstep again.

I mean, you can read his blog: the full story isn’t there, but you can see the progress of Koontz’s creepy obsession. He was still writing treatises to her as late as last week.

The thing was: I always secretly hoped Koontz was a troll. I didn’t think that made him any less creepy: the amount of effort necessary to play that part would indicate some psychological problems in its own right. But still, I actually was pretty saddened to hear that his life really was that sad, that he was so completely ill. I can’t even make fun of the guy anymore: he just saddens and sickens me.

Schizoaffective disorder for sure. Delusional thinking, inappropriate affect, inflated self-esteem, symptoms of both depression and mania–he needs professional help and meds.

That he needs meds and some serious time with a trained professional was my opinion long before he crossed the line to creepy stalker. Now I’m just hoping this will not end with him hurting anybody other than himself.

Koontz was a regular? man, that’ll come as news to the irc regulars!

Threethings;

1. Brian’s piece on Obsession, primarily, and several other essays would make motherfucking badass ad copy or voiceover script for luxury products.

2. <Ins_randomcomment1-678 over_the_line = true>

3. It would be fucking sweet if Brian was someone’s secret alter ego, secret even from themselves. Like Tyler Durden.* Or maybe Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, since this is a gaming website.

*This is my message to Bill Dungsroman. Write down the mileage on your car and check that number tomorrow morning. I would say Tom, but he would just blame his recreational Ambien habit.

Holy fuck. I’m almost sorry I clicked on this thread and had the reality of Koontz so disturbingly delivered. I liked it a lot better when he was just harmlessly kooky.

Yeah, having your “maybe Koontz is just a troll” hopes shattered is pretty disconcerting :(

I don’t know if I should be getting involved in this thread, but:

1. Yes, Brian looks exactly like Tom Chick in a trucker hat and a big fake bushy moustache. That is probably just a coincidence.

2. Meeting him in person was incredibly uneventful. Actual face-to-face human interaction seems to have an affect on him roughly anologous to Superman’s reaction to Kryptonite.

3. Brian wins at staring contests. Always.

4. The man’s not a fan of Uwe Boll.

Holy crap (about everything in the recent Koontz world).

Also, Koontz grew up in Niles, MI (or at least lived there at 16)? Wow. My college sophomore year roommate was from there also. We’d lived on the same dorm hall freshman year, and with a 3rd guy roomed at our frat sophomore year.

He was also batshit insane. Maybe it’s the water in Niles? I totally doubt it, but it’d be a riot if they were the same guy.

Dr Crypt,

Those of us involved in Brian’s visit to San Diego kept quiet about it on the boards for a reason. We didn’t post hurtful details about Brian’s personal life for a reason. It’s not a “testament to the bad taste in people’s mouths”, it’s a testament to basic human decency.

Brian may need some help, and he certainly needs some support. What he does not need, and neither does anyone else involved, is some loudmouth posting bile about him on QT3, which the man still reads, but where he can’t defend himself, due to being banned.

Armchair diagnoses and holy pronouncements of being “saddened and sickened” do nobody any good. It’s the forum equivalent of beating up the helpless and it’s ugly behavior.

I think Crypt has a thing.

I think Crypt has a thing.

Wait, you guys expected Crypt to keep a secret? DID YOU LEARN NOTHING FROM SERENITY?!?