The unexpected nuance of White Tribe and its racist rump-colonial regime: a review by Bruce Geryk

The comparisons with South Africa are relevant, but I feel like I need to rebate Sotirios over three points.

The first issue is that the history of the ANC is quite long and their political positions evolved and changed significantly over the 30 years of struggle. That Mandela was instrumental in that process can’t be denied, but I think it is healthy to remember that he needed to rely on a wide network of collaborators to turn around the ANC towards the path of non violence and reconciliation. So not really just “Mandela’s ANC” and neither 1968 was anything like 1988. The figure of Winnie Mandela is quite problematic too, one of the few things the Truth and Reconciliation Commission wasn’t able to address.

The second issue is that, in all fairness, De Klerk pretty much chose to work with the ANC - a mostly Bantu movement - over doing so with the Zulu parties. And for good reasons! So I think it is not cynical to say that in that case that “imperialist” divide and conquer strategies actually worked well.

The third issue lies with the fact that South African armed forces had basically contained and defeated the guerrillas. The South African struggle final stages played to a great extent on the cities for a reason. And also, sadly enough, armed resistance was abandoned in part out of pragmatism because it was perceived as less effective (it didn’t work) and logistical bases for it had been interdicted.

What the White Tribe mechanics prescibr is consistent with the historical facts above. It is truly a quite gobsmacking achievement in telling straight a complicated story, and by playing the game you actually get to see how the pieces fit together. The AAR on these forums shows the game for what it is: a political science sandbox.

I wonder if White Dog games will dare to visit former Yugoslavia some day.