The United States on the global stage: good guys or bad guys?

Can you link the source for that, please? There’s some ambiguity about it that might be cleared up with context. I’m not sure, for example, what “International Affairs” means in this context. If I give money to help rebuild schools in Afghanistan, for example, is that going under “Education” or under “International Affairs” here?

Yeah, a bunch of those other things, like religion, health, humanitarian services? Those are going to be international as well.

For instance, the largest charity donated to by Americans is United Way Worldwide, which is a global charity that does work all over the world.

“International Affairs” isn’t the only money that’s going to international destinations, dude.

Some background on this particular category of charitable non-profit: (this particular paper is about broader international non profits, but it provides a decent description of that particular category which probably matches what that breakdown presented is talking about).

The third category, international affairs, includes
organizations for international affairs education,
economic and trade policy, national security, and
peace and arms control. This category accounts for 11
percent of the organizations and just under 5 percent
of the revenue of the international nonprofit sector.
Examples include the Council on Foreign Relations,
the Mid-America World Trade Center Institute,
Americans for Peace Now, and the United Nations
Association of Greater Boston.

So, you can see there that’s a specific type of charity, not the sum of all charity which is directed internationally. It’s stuff that is specifically directed at “international affairs”.

Yeah pol pot was a nasty bugger, but he helped that old lady across the road once and had a rescue puppy, so yeah 😏

This. ^^^^^

Not piling on, but the UN definition of crimes against humanity encompasses:

… any of the following acts committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack knowingly directed against any civilian population: murder; extermination; enslavement; deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment; torture; rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity; persecution against an identifiable group on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious or gender grounds; enforced disappearance of persons; the crime of apartheid; or other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering or serious bodily or mental injury.

https://www.csce.gov/issue/genocide-and-crimes-against-humanity

I dunno, if someone says the US has become the bad guy, I don’t think pointing to a time some 30 years ago when the US was arguably less bad is particularly helpful as an argument.

6240 posts and the nationalist thread cops are getting upset that the country this thread took place in is having bad things said about it.

I had to search for the thread too as i didnt know how to unmute but wanted to see what was said about the Gestapo dudes in Portfand, but i’ll leave you wypipo to it i think

and not just that, bullying international court officials for allowing war crime trials to go ahead.

I completely disagree that the US is a “bad guy”. Even under Trump you guys still are the good guys through the cultural influence and the political lobbying that occurs in the ‘deep state’ level. US ambassadors, even Trump’s, are the most important diplomats who support democracy and the rule of the law in developing contries.

As for the various questionable decisions of the past 30-40 years, they were not taken in bad faith, at the very worst they were taken to protect the US hegemony. Countries such as Russia, China or NK have basically no positive influence, their actions are not even in the interest of their own people, the only aim is to preserve and expand their authoritarian regimes. They are what the US would be if the crazy(now dominant) wing of the GOP ruled without challenge. That would definitely be evil and Trump’s errosion is pushing the country in this direction.

I would love to have your perspective on things back in this thread. Feels lacking without yours (and @Nesrie’s!) .

That’s changing rapidly. Most immigrants now want to go to Canada instead of the US, and Canada has gotten some refugees from the US during Trump’s adminisation (mostly Haitians)

A 2nd Trump and I do worry about concentration camps.

You may have missed some of the discussion then.

Seems people really want to argue about @schurem controversial statements. Probably the wrong thread for it though.

No, I’m following it. @schurem is pointing to clearly bad acts, and you can’t really make them go away by pointing to good acts, and you also can’t make them go away by pointing out that there are other bad actors, even worse actors.

Globally, I’d say e.g. Iceland is a good actor. Or Denmark. Or Germany, in recent decades. I would not say that the US is a now on balance globally a good actor. How can a regime that uses its power to flout international law and international standards, even to the point of unprovoked acts of war, be a good actor?

And yes, this is probably the wrong place for this conversation, but this is where the conversation is.

I read this and all I could think of was that Kids in the Hall bit from their last episode

That being said, we have some bright spot. Haiti comes to mind.

So does Serbia.

I hate to bring up this example, because it hits close to home, but Serbia was a real black eye for the Dutch, where the lack of action by 10 Dutch soldiers on the peace keeping mission, helped lead to 350 people being massacred.

Anyway, that situation really turned around because of what the US did, leading the coalition.

I think, the US has failed on more then a few occasions, and been harmful in many others, but I still, think, all things considered, the US has done a better job as a hegemony, then any other nation that is/was in contention for the role.

Don’t want to touch on this thread on the hot take (though I wouldn’t be nice either) that is as blind as one I saw elsewhere that the US was isolationist prior to WW2, but this bit is still kind of related in action.

AskHistorians has a policy against denying it, but acknowledges it’s tricky due to education. The rationale of how it fits is clear.

(EDIT: Quote axed in the interest of diverting less, it’s in the link anyway)

You will be first in line to go to the gulag, comrade. For mother Russia! j/k

I’m not trying to play thread cop, but if this a discussion people want to keep having can we create a Genocide Olympics gamethread or something to keep score in? I actually think it’s an interesting discussion especially when it comes to the different perspectives of US posters and non-American posters but I think this is an important thread for keeping up on what is going on with BLM in this country right now, especially with the ongoing protests and the upcoming election.

If you mean me, not at all. I’m not arguing with the sentiment in the slightest. Simply that it should have its own thread and not clutter this one.

We are what we are. shrug. It’s hard to parse good and evil here. A country, especially one as large and influential as the United States, is far too complex to paint that way. We’re twice as wealthy as the next wealthiest country in terms of GDP. We have more people than any other country except India and China. Everything we do is a big thing simply because of our size. We’re a bull in a china shop; a juggernaut.

I tend to think we’re like that guy at parties. You know the one. The one who talks over everyone else, who is loud and a bit brash and you’re annoyed and even secretly loathe him a little. But he’s also super charming and you can’t help but like him. He’s smart and empathetic and engaging and interesting to talk to. And then he cracks a racist joke and follows it up with a “just kidding!” and a winning smile. He hits on everyone (everyone!), and everyone kind of responds to it. You want him to leave, but then the party is a bit lifeless when he’s gone.

Yup, this is an interesting discussion that deserves its own thread, but doesn’t really belong in this one. This one is about a very specific way in which this country is terrible.

Ditto. You guys (the USA) were supposed to be the beacon. The hopeful realization of enlightenment ideals of rule of law, equality before the law and representative rule. Lady Liberty holding her torch high for all to see. And she’s getting fucked up in plain sight by these godawful fascist assholes.

I also feel very sorry for you guys having to live there. Keep up the good fight guys, you can still kick these fascist assholes to the curb!