The Universim

So I backed this ages ago on Kickstarter, its finally coming to Steam Early Access on August 28th 2018.

Very old Trailer:

I last played it over a year ago and felt they were definitely on the right track in terms of what I want from a god sim / city builder.

I’ve had it on my wishlist for a long time. I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Me, too! I’ll have to dig up that information now. :)

What does God want with a galactic empire?

Just got my key, and it was relatively easy! To get your steam key,hit the Forgot Password button on this page:
It will setup your universim account and give you access to your steamkey so long as you use your kickstarter email address.

I have this on my wish list. Please give your impressions of the game.

So thanks to the prodding topic, I did grab this last night and play through what was there on the steam copy. My impressions are pretty solid so far, but cautious.

This game was Kickstarted in 2014, and since then has completed the game engine, design functionality and about 1/4 of the road map content. The game includes content through the stone age and stops just shy of converting your world to medieval times. Considering it took 4 years to get that far, and that the game is supposed to end with space colonization, I suspect this game will be in early access awhile. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the stone age portion that I played through. There is a fairly deep simulation going on here, and I was able to play through it without any hiccups on a 3840x1600 ultrawide monitor and it was very smooth. It was fun to watch your nuggets (people) go about their lives. Each person has about a dozen stats associated with them and some have quirks and perks. There is an awful lot of polish in the game already and I think they will have a hit on their hands if they make it to the finish line. It is evident that the game will need a balance pass or two, as the progression has some areas that go by way too fast, and some bottlenecks that make certain progression way too slow.

It took me about 4-5 hours to play through my civilization to the end of what was available. I did not struggle with keeping everyone alive, but had some moments where things could have definitely went south. So again, with more tuning this could be a challenging sim, and not just a society builder (which I like).

All in all, I’m really happy with what I saw, but unhappy with how much of it was there after 4 years.

EDIT:Typos.

I’m a hopeful Kickstarter, but disappointed that the devs seem to view the game as an extremely long-term money generator, whilst developing their own publishing firm. I hope they do well publishing other games, so that they will finally be able to publish their own finished game.

I should also ad a story that made for an interesting restart: So in the game there is a god power for love. You can make any two nuggets fall in love, which works perfectly. If only I had noticed that out of my 5 nuggets, the two I clicked on were my only two men, so try as they might, they were not able to produce any new population while mating…Oops! well played though devs =)

That is a great trailer.

So this came out on early access. Who’s giving it a trial run?

It’s on my wishlist but I’ve lost any desire to put more money into Early Access title. I’ll keep an eye on it, however.

I haven’t touched it in over a year, I’ll try and make time this weekend.

cool txs!

If I think to grab my key and download it sometime this week I’ll probably give it a little play time too.

Very much hoping it’s good. We need a good Populace game and the graphics on this at least look interesting and good.

I tried the tech demo they had awhile back and I thought the planet graphics were very cool. Hopefully they’ve been able to put a fun game inside the engine, will keep an eye on it.

Not worth getting yet. Seems to have some interesting ideas, but the pacing is slow and I don’t see much challenge or motivation to keep playing at this time.

I’m also interested in this. The style looks lovely, but I get the impression its still very early. Not cheap either.