The US Military Catch-All Thread

A balloon is in your airspace. It is very different from a satellite in that respect. There’s a good reason shooting satellites is seen as a bad thing™. Shooting a balloon… eh, difficult target but good practice otherwise.

Why a balloon and not a satellite? Well you can’t surprise anybody with a satellite. They are on a schedule and it’s well published. “Time for the three o’clock boys, tarp 'er up!” That balloon however suddenly shows up and might catch something out in the open. Bit like having a signal sniffer in a corn mill might too.

Yeah I suspect the reluctance to pop their balloon is driven by the desire to avoid tit for tat stuff with our drones or worse manned aircraft.

Also, Montana is beautiful and maybe we just want to show it off.

It does sort of make our military budget look a bit silly. Zillions of dollars and we’re still paralyzed by a balloon.

Isn’t it also full of ICBM pits?

What, the balloon?

Looks like we need to bring back Skyhook and snag that balloon.

Pretty ones, yeah!

Anyone up for a balloon watch party? Bring snacks.

Oh crap.

Control, control, Red Dog is compromised!

Naw, Montana.

These balloons are often enormous - 100+ meters wide, and can be hard to shoot down. There was a notorious incident where a Canadian weather balloon went out of control in the 90s, and the Canadian and British air force were unable to force it down, even after pumping it full of thousands of rounds. They had to wait for it to land in Norway.

Here’s a great photo from the ground

I hope they never attack us with balloons we can’t shoot down.

I think all the angst over this balloon thing is over inflated.

Just shoot 12 miles straight up with your AR-15.

Because of course they think they can shoot it.

And that guy is a dentist, it seems? Remind me to avoid that office if I’m in the area and I need dental work.

I challenge you to find a quicker way to get a tooth out of a mouth.

He excels at 9mm extractions.