The US Military Catch-All Thread

Fair enough. I mean, if you’re familiar with Cold War era novels like Seven Days in May, for instance, the idea of a military coup certainly isn’t foreign to our pop culture at least. And the relatively recent militarization of our society (as distinct from the glorification of violence per se, which has always been a part of our country since before it was a country), with its often creepy fetishization of the uniform and all its trappings, does point in that direction.

I think it’s almost the other way around. It’s the “rising stars” who get sent on the US training. Those are the same people most likely to start a coup.

I think it’s fair to say that the US training appears utterly ineffective in promoting respect for democratic norms and rule of law. Which is hardly surprising when you are talking about people who have spent decades in their own cultural context getting a few lectures on a different cultural context in a classroom.

Going further back in anglosphere history, the Glorious Revolution could be seen as a military coup with really good PR (elite support was much wider than just the military, but it was the deep and broad military support that made the whole thing remotely worthwhile from William’s perspective).

This is also a good point.

They’re emphasizing democratic norms and the rule of law to people who don’t live in societies with strong democratic norms or rule of law. I agree, it isn’t going to be very sticky.

Huh, interesting. I can see that, yeah. Just like in Turkey or South Korea, too, sometimes in the short run these sorts of coups seem to be better than the alternatives. It’s the long-term implications that are problematic. In the case of the English, though, there seemed to have been a very strong desire to root the changes in a parliamentary framework rather than to perpetuate a series of coups.

And yeah, I can see the “rising stars” thing. Young officers, disenchanted with stuff, get trained by a world-class army, and go back home with lots of ideas and ambitions.

Also, I imagine the US military training programs are, well, focused on military stuff. While you might make a case for nation-building as part of that, it’s a bit heavy a load to push off on trainers who are better suited for teaching tactics, logistics, etc.

As an institution, the US Military isn’t high on democracy either. From my observations, there is a lot of respect for democracy and reverence for the constitution, in the military.
But, there is also a lot disdain for many elected official and government bureaucrats. The US military is one of the better meritocracies in the US, whereas that’s not really true in government, and certainly not the case in politics. One common thing I’ve read in the memoirs of Gen. Marshall, Powell, Schwarzkopf, Mattis, and Sec. Bob Gates is how much they despised testifying before Congress. (Who can blame them having to answer stupid questions from MTG, Jim Jordan, Tuberville etc.).

I bet when training foreign militaries, the message they gets amplified is “elected officials are idiots” and the message “but you need to obey them” gets lost.

Pretty much what you’d expect – the money buried everybody who complained until the project’s flaws were impossible to ignore.

Analysis of newly released photographs of the B-21 Raider. While this is a random YouTube video, analyst is no Lazerpig — Alex Hollings has been nominated for five different awards by an industry association of the Defence Media and won the “Best Military Aviation” category last year. He puts out some really informative videos. Highly recommended to any military aviation aficionados

Still looks like an empanada.

That’s a lot of video production to say “We don’t know anything new, but here are some pics.”

And I will have one spicy chicken and cheese, and one spinach and mushroom.

This one has VERY spicy filling.

He says the pilots will have poor visibility due to the small oddly-shaped windows, but perhaps they have cameras and VR helmets or the like.

That was my assumption, I was thinking they already have the technology from the F-35. Still interesting that they are confident enough in the camera and sensor system that they aren’t bothering much with windows and only providing an absolute minimum of windows for checking for refueling and as needed for safety check with ground crew.

But…. Empanadas are DELICIOUS (and much cheaper)! We just had them for dinner tonight, in fact.

You can buy a whole lot of empanadas for what one of these planes costs, I bet! But then, the deterrent effect of an empanada may well be less. In fact, people might actually want you to deploy the empanadas on them!

As for visibility, I would not be surprised if this thing is pretty much a video game experience where the pilots in most cases don’t ever have to look outside at the real world.

Until things go pear-shaped of course.

If everyone was busy enjoying empanadas, there’d be no war! Imagine!

It will go a long way to addressing America’s worrying meat pie deficiency.

And of course, it is designed to also operate completely pilot-less, as the largest to date drone.

Hard to fight in a war when you’re busy fighting explosive diarrhea!