The Vaccines vs Torch Wielding Mobs debate continues

Indeed.

Sounds like that situation could get a bit sticky.

You know what’s the best? It’s when doctors turn anti-vax.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/30/amid-measles-outbreak-anti-vaccine-doctor-revels-in-his-notoriety/

Wolfson actively urges people to avoid vaccines. “We should be getting measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, these are the rights of our children to get it,” he told the Arizona Republic. “We do not need to inject chemicals into ourselves and into our children in order to boost our immune system.” He added: “I’m a big fan of what’s called paleo-nutrition, so our children eat foods that our ancestors have been eating for millions of years…. That’s the best way to protect.”

Wolfson himself came to his anti-vaccination stance late in life. “I’m the son of a cardiologist,” he told The Post. “I was trained to believe in the power of vaccines…. And going through school, as a medical student you don’t question anything. You don’t question what’s going on.” Then in 2002, Wolfson, originally from Chicago, moved to Arizona where he met his wife, a chiropractor, who “opened my eyes.”

Amazing.

I used to give a pass to chiropractors as being physical therapists by another name, and who obviously ignored the nonsense parts of chiropracty. Obviously that needs to change.

Fuck that guy. He should lose his medical license, if he hasn’t already.

“We do not need to inject chemicals into ourselves and into our children in order to boost our immune system.”

And we also don’t need antibiotics, pasteurization, aseptic surgical technique, anesthesia, or any other medical technology developed after about 1700. They’re just as unnatural. Back to balancing the humors via bleeding, baby!

I wonder if recommending that his patients not get vaccinated constitutes some kind of malpractice.

While there’s nothing wrong in principle with the concept of “holistic,” in the sense of looking at everything about a patient, in practice it’s become a codeword for substituting superstition for actual medicine. Yeah, he should definitely lose his license on that basis alone.

Well, you know the saying, if it quacks like a fraud…

Scientology has made pretty deep roads into the profession of chiropractors, for whatever reason.

Huh. And dentists, too, apparently. Weird.

And now that I’ve been home from work longer, I see that prominent Republicans like Rand Paul and Chris Christie are going the route of climate change denial with vaccines. Really guys, you really want to jump on this bandwagon now too?

Fuck that noise. Stop trying to get votes from people who are retarded.

But that’s where so many of the juicy votes are…

sigh Well ignorant voters are easier to appeal to with shallow substance free campaigns. Smart voters you might have to work for, and present coherent arguments.

If Republicans have convinced their voters that scientists are lying when it comes to climate change, how are they going to convince them that the overwhelming scientific consensus about vaccines is truthful?

This pretty much puts a nail in any doubts about Rand Paul’s dishonesty. There’s always been some question in my mind about whether he was loony but consistent and honest about his beliefs, like his father appears to be, or just as bad as the other Republicans. Now I know, since there’s no way this anything but the worst sort of pandering to the base.

It’s the primary system. The fringe have too much power in the primaries. They create this kind of craziness. Vaccination in the general election will not even be discussed, but in the run-up to the primaries candidates are jockeying for support and the crazies come out to vote in disproportionate numbers. Christie and Paul feel a need to kiss some crazy ass.

Rand Paul and Christie jumping on the idiot train. Which is hilarious given that Rand is a fucking MEDICAL DOCTOR. He, of course, had his own kids vaccinated, because he doesn’t believe this stuff, but he gives it lip service for political gain, which is absolutely unethical.

One thing that this article reminded me of, that i had forgotten, was that both Obama and McCain gave this trash lip service in 2008.

Roald Dahl on Vaccination

His daughter died from the measles.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.