The Venture Brothers

Anyone catch this on Cartoon Network this weekend? I remember seeing what I guess was the pilot a while back and thought it was side-splittingly funny. A tongue-in-cheek homage/parody of the Johnny Quest brand of adventure cartoons I remember from when I was younger.

Saturday’s episode wasn’t quite as funny, but it did have a few genuinely laugh out loud moments like the robot’s new paint job and the chupacabra in Brock’s car. Definitely getting a season pass for this one on my DVR to see if it stays good.

From what I’m led to understand it’s some of the folks from the old “The Tick” cartoon. Minus Ben Edlund, who is now firmly part of the Joss Whedon universe.

Is Brock’s voicework done by live-action Tick star, Patrick Warburton? It sure sounded like it.

Joss Whedon universe? He wrote a bunch of episodes for his shows, but since none of them are on anymore he’s not still involved is he?

You guys have reminded me once again about how The Tick (animated series) is still not out on DVD. Thanks for making me sad. :(

I know. BASTARDS!!!

Damn you fox. Should have aired it after the Simpsons instead of Saturday mornings.

Yup. It’s him.

I saw the first episode of this about a year ago. It seemed to fall too heavily in the over-used “pregnant pause” humor that seems to be the basis of every Adult Swim show, but I’d be willing to give it another chance.

He’s on the Global Frequency with some other Buffy vets.

Really? That gives me some hope for the show. I read on Warren Ellis’ blog he’s headed out to Vancouver to visit the set. It’d be cool if the show comes together.

I’m really liking this show.

Caught an episode last Sunday. Interesting stuff.

I turned it on by chance and got the last few minutes of an episode, and my fiancee said, “Hey, that’s puddy!”

I love this show.

“Why didn’t you tell me … that the Big Foot … was a … heesh … him?”

I wish Dr. Girlfriend had more depth as a character other than to bicker with The Monarch, because I love her name.

“Oh, come on. Big Foot doesn’t have anything you haven’t seen before.”

“Big Foot IS something I haven’t seen before!”

It is a riot. The big foot epsode was just fantastic. At the beginning, Baron Underbite, Girl Hitler… ohhhhh Tiger BOMB!

Thats show should be in prime time.

Am I the only one who had a really hard time understanding Underbite, especially in the opening sequence?

No, you’re not.

I saw the bigfoot episode. Other than the stupid lactation joke, I enjoyed it immensely.

I figured it was a parody of some sort, but yeah it was really hard to understand.