The Venture Brothers

Yeah, but no one else on the show is either.

My PVR might be going or the feed from Adult Swim was messed up last night as both this and Metalocaplypse are unwatchable on it.

Okay, I missed most of VB Season 3. Do I need to catch up on it before trying to watch S4?

Very much yes.

I very much enjoyed Fillion as Spider-Man analogue. Though his spinneret squicked me out.

I want to see more of alternate dimension Dr. Venture.

For those who couldn’t place the obvious visual reference, the Brown Widow web gag was clearly in reference to this. (About 17 seconds into that linked video.)

Mr. Fillion did a fine job in his limited role but felt like he should’ve been more fleshed out. Entire episode felt like it ended too soon.

Will also reiterate that Bill Hader is a talented young man, even if Professor Impossible isn’t a terribly challenging role. Don’t miss Colbert one bit.

The next episode should be about the entire thing from Dr. Venture’s view point.

Since I’m watching this a week behind thanks to the stupid internet policy on episodes, I just got around to watching the Hank detective episode. A good episode ruined by the “reset” ending. What a bunch of crap.

Enh, I don’t know what else there’d be to tell. We saw most of what he was doing prior to the ending in Dean’s episode. And showing him romping around another dimension isn’t really the show’s style.

I disagree. It was a great episode. We finally learn that kid isn’t Brock’s, Doc is even more skeevy then before… and Hank still knows he’s not a virgin.

Did I fugue out for a few minutes, or did Orpheus’s plot line just evaporate at the end there?

Doc’s speech to Hank about his 16th birthday was the best scene this season.

The zombie boys were coming through the aforementioned ducts, so that might have been his plan, rather than going through himself? Once the job’s done then, I guess he just bailed?

SPOILER

He projected the cupids (I know) love and the superegos strength to get the zombie kids to identify with and desire The Monarch as a father figure. That`s my take on it anyway.

Hopefully it’s something they’ll build on in future episodes. We know from last week’s episode that he has it in him to be a competent super-scientist.

Yeah, they did a very interesting job humanizing Rusty this episode, which I feel they haven’t tried to do in a long time. Arguably, in Hank’s episode we saw him trying to be slightly responsible when he got that girl pregnant, at least making token efforts to work it out with her until the mother intervened.

Anyways, it’s interesting to see them trying to develop all the characters a little more this season, I feel like they had a lot more wheel spinning last season.

It doesn’t need to build towards something. The entire series is built on what a loser Doc is, this just fleshes it out a little more.

I have trouble with it because they vacillate between making him a tragic figure, doomed by his own childhood and his father’s shadow, vs. making him simply a reprehensible person. That tension is what makes the character interesting, but at the same time, I can’t help but feel that it’s more inconsistent than well-developed characterization. Now that I think about it, the kidnapping episode also gave him surprising tenderness towards Hank, so they’ve really been pushing him as more sympathetic this season.

Maybe I just like easy answers, but I want him to do something well, even if that thing is simply acknowledging his innate failure and letting his children realize the potential that he never could. Arguably that’s what the upshot of the ORB saga was.

Surprising transition, yes, but presumably the boys (writers) either had trouble sussing out the solution, or it was cut for time.

Seems like it could be building to something. Whether Rusty goes “good” and becomes responsible adult and successful super-scientist, or remains mincing failure, is part of the will he/won’t he build.

Not to mention

SPOILER

21 and Dr. Girlfriend

/SPOILER

…another will they/won’t they plot point that just got amped up a notch.

Season really seems to have brought show back on track, watching most recent episode reminded me how much show will be missed when it ends.