The Venture Brothers

That’s a shame for you then, since I didn’t hate this episode. It just left me flat. If it had been coming off a season as strong as the first two, sure, I probably would have hated it. But as is, the string of audience "fuck-you"s was pretty much more of the same at this point.

Not too much of a shame, though, seeing as I laughed all the way through it.

/pictures madkevin laughing as Molotov Cocktease plunges to her death

Yeah, I’m sure she’s really dead. The Ventures is totally not the kind of show that would just make it look like a femme fatale spy died, but really survived.

Please tell me you don’t actually believe they killed off Brock’s nemesis.

Aha, so you were laughing!

Psycho.

Well, first I was laughing at how awesome the setup for her fake death was. I mean, a literal cliffhanger? Genius.

Now, of course, I’m laughing at you.

I think we’ve already established that you’ll laugh at anything, so no skin off my nose.

Absolutely, but they went ON AND ON with that Rusty Venture thing. Probably 75% longer than it needed to.

I actually liked that it went on so long. There’s an old saw of comedy that the good comedians will run a joke long past the point of it being funny until it comes back around to being funny again. The trick is knowing the timing.

The ‘Rusty Venture’ jokes made the episode.

I go both ways on this. To me, they seemed to go on for too long because it was too concentrated at the start. Might have worked a lot better if it was spaced out more.

Yeah, if it had been a recurring theme in the episode that would have helped, but it was like they hit pause on the show for what felt like 5 minutes (I know it was much shorter) to just hash it out. When they called the Sean Connery character to verify it, then the Guild lackeys, etc. I was somewhat incredulous. Like, man, let’s move on.

It felt like a 22 minute episode stretched out, not like two good episodes back to back.

At risk of stating obvious, this was entire point of episode. SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.

Episode was about change and moving on. Many things have remained status quo for entire season or more: Gary (Henchman 21) being haunted by his dead friend Henchman 24; Sgt. Hatred and obvious gay pederasty gags; even gay bit characters Alchemist and Shoreleave always being alone up until now.

Assuming 24 is a well-liked character around here, most are probably still frustrated that he died because of how funny he was, and while him never leaving in first place would have been preferable, makes sense as part of this episode that 21 would finally let go of his best friend. It’s what’s healthiest for him, even if it isn’t perfectly in tune with show’s generally arrested-development-perpetually-stuck-in-awkward-puberty maturity level, but the boys (McCulloch & Hammer) have already shown marked interest in developing characters and helping them mature in past (Brock quitting OSI, Sgt. Hatred becoming a bodyguard, Dean becoming a prospective super-scientist, etc.).

Episode tied up lots and lots of loose ends, just not in the way most might have hoped. And left plenty of room for more new stories, with Col. Gathers presumably taking reins at OSI, Alchemist and Shoreleave now a couple, Dean finding himself(?), and whatever it was with Brock and Molotov Cocktease. In addition, it was revealed earlier in season that Murderous Moppets are moles for Phantom Limb, leaving an entirely unexplored avenue there.

Give it a bit. Episode will stand test of time better than some here might think.

I get that. The artists/creators want to “grow” and “develop” and “progress”. Except - for the first two seasons of VB, I laughed like mad at the episodes, and for the last two seasons I did not, I barely laughed at all.

“Nah, that’s a double frogman.”

The number of definitions of a “Rusty Venture” at urbandictionary.com have leapt from 0 to 2. But those men and women of letters have not seen fit to publish my definition. So be it! One day there will be a reckoning, and my toaster, my coffee mug, and my woman’s pump shall join in my sweet revenge.

Anyone else catch that Sgt. Hatred’s only remaining letters are VD?

I figured that a show like Venture Brothers would weave everything into a cohesive ball of awesome that changed up the game, and revealed mysteries.

What we got was a good episode at the end of a very middling season.
I guess it’ll have to do.

That’s the sort of thing people want in arc-driven shows. VB was at its best when there wasn’t a single arc to be seen. So I can’t imagine why you were hoping for even more of what ruined VB in the first place.

VB is ruined? Does that mean you’ll stop watching and posting in this thread?