The Venture Brothers

The Brothers Venture don’t quite turn my head like they used to, but this season 5 trailer has a number of amazing images that guarantees that I watch. I forgot how awesome J.G Thirwell’s music is!

So much caution in my optimism. I’m seeing as much Hatred as Brock, and that ain’t good.

Could’ve sworn this was an old trailer shown at some event and handcammed to YouTube some time ago.

Gave it a rewatch. Looks promising enough, good callbacks to earlier seasons (like the yard sale dandy riding the ninja) but realized, no Phantom Limb and the Revenge Society to be seen. Show was apparently renewed for 2 seasons so there’s room to breathe. Trailer doesn’t suggest much in the way of loose ends being tied up–on the contrary, seems like even more loose ends will be introduced.

Gary the Ex-Henchman recaps ten years of the Venture Brothers in eight minutes. Well, ten years since the pilot aired. And he left out Mr. Brisby’s long-time companda.

That was pretty awesome. I recently watched all four seasons (not in one sitting! I need my brain in one piece) and while you can’t hit everything in 8 minutes, they certainly got all the basics. I’m looking forward to the new season. Hope it’s more like 1-3 than 4, though.

According to my DVR, the new season debuts at 12:00 AM this coming Monday morning. Cartoon Network is not giving it anything approaching a primo time slot. And what will the Hatred/Brock ratio be? Tune in to see.

Welcome news about the debut, if not the buried time slot. It’ll be nice to have something to follow over the summer.

Yeah, without the DVR notification, I’d never have noticed this was back on. CN isn’t doing them any favors.

I’m going to watch this out of residual loyalty to the first two seasons, but considering how the promos have prominently featured so many of the worst, most annoying characters, I’m not optimistic. It’s almost like they’re just making the show to spite people at this point.

I’m pretty sure they’re doing it just to annoy you as I can’t think of any character that hasn’t made me laugh on the show. Did you send them a list of the characters you find annoying? Perhaps they took it badly.

Sergeant Hatred has made you laugh?

The list begins and ends at Sergeant Hatred. He was funny for an occasional character, but when they tried to replace Brock with Hatred the vast contrast sank the show. The pedophile gig was funny the FIRST TIME, but a whole season based around it was just pissing me off, plus I really don’t like the voice acting. The constant whiny note just rankles. I think Brendon Small started the voice and it was picked up by someone else, and I really don’t like Brendon Small’s work.

The Sergeant worked as a one-shot, secondary villain who once again allowed the show to poke fun at how screwed up these people would have to be in their private lives. The whole thing with Princess Tinyfeet in that first episode was pretty damned funny. Once he became a recurring character the one-shot jokes about pedophilia turned the corner from “disturbingly weird” to “weirdly disturbing”.

With Dermott in the middle. If those two somehow managed to kill each other, I’d be a happy man.

This is exactly right. I rewatched the first or second season episode in which Hatred first appears not too long ago, and was surprised to find myself not hating him. As Tin said, he’s just fine as a one-off minor character but a disaster when he’s front and center. There are pretty much no Sgt. Hatred fans in this thread–the QT3 consensus, with which I’m in complete agreement, is that his advent as a major player is perhaps the biggest contributing factor to the decline in the quality of the series.

Meh, consider me an outcast then. While I agree that Hatred isn’t the strongest of characters, I also don’t believe the show is suffering from any significant decline.

What happened to Brock Samson? He was brilliant, and half of what I loved about the show along with all of his great story lines - Molotov Cocktease, and those incredible fight scenes. I found a link to some great Brock stuff here.

I bet there is a link somewhere that explains it all, but basically Patrick Warburton is a massively actor, and not just for his voice. He’s involved in at least four TV series right now, and IMBD shows him involved in six other projects. No surprise that he’d have to cut back on at least one of his many commitments, and an obscure, not-so-regular animated series that airs late at night on a basic cable channel would probably be the one I would pick if I were him.

So he’s no longer a regular, but comes back every few episodes. I’d like more Brock, but I’ll take him as a recurring character if the only other choice is his total absence.

It’s a charity thing for him at this point, I’d guess. Adult Swim and The Venture Brothers just don’t have the kind of money to throw at a voice actor to drag him away from all of those other projects. If there was a God he would skim off 10% of what the Simpsons actors are making and give it to Warburton so that he could bring Brock back to every episode.

If there was a God, Warburton would still be dressed as The Tick.