The Verge Site Re-Design...Ugh

I can understand not liking the new version but I cannot understand this. The old version was a nightmare of adtech and unnecessary graphics.

I don’t like how comments are hidden away on a flying sidebar.

I wouldn’t call it a nightmare, it was too big and too clunky, and honestly ad insertion is so prevalent I didn’t notice it being any more worse or better than the standard. The main thing I hate about the new interface is that the writer’s name is the most prominent thing as best my eyeball can tell. The old format, at least I could browse it once a day and skip past 90% of it that didn’t interest me.

The Verge has always been about making its writers the stars, in my eyes. I barely read the Verge, yet I seem to know a lot of their writers.

Chalk it up to individual consumption then, I couldn’t dredge up a single name from the site, and when I type “T” in my browser it’s the first autocomplete that pops up.

Well, it wasn’t great or anything, but for the occasional review I read on there, it didn’t bother me as much as the redesign.

It could be if I spent some time on there and got used to it that it’s functionally better in some way. But it just looks like a step back and guess they were going for a cleaner aesthetic, but now it looks like a mobile site. It’s just ugly. And is there an option for a white background? I couldn’t find it anywhere.

And that was a long time ago. It only got worse and more resource heavy over the years.

Every commercial site does that, just run uBlock Origin.

It doesn’t make it OK, but many sites are even worse. Safari’s privacy report for this mac says CNN has been the worst over the last week, with 40 trackers.

I went ahead and installed the DarkReader extension, just so I can continue reading the verge without going blind lol. It boggles the mind that a web designer thought alternating dark/light backgrounds was a great idea.

Are you enjoying the flashing purple background behind headlines?

I’ll timidly raise my hand to ask: am I the only one who is visiting The Verge a little more since the redesign?

I definitely am. But I’m one of the few here who liked the re-design. (Well, except for the black background).

Heck no for me. I do a five second scan of the headline before the wall of text sends me to a new site.

Exactly the same for me, I read everything in RSS anyway.

I should say I’m reading it on my phone. The order in which they present information on mobile works pretty well. On desktop, there’s too much happening in the right column.

Verge isn’t an RSS item for me because I only want to read it when I’m in the mood for tech news. I don’t like consistently high volume feeds that pile up.

If you’re one of those people that can’t ignore a little “2210 unread articles” badge then RSS probably isn’t the way to go, no. I don’t make any effort to read everything, but with RSS it’s all in front of me ready to go, even without network access.

RSS is great for sites that don’t abuse it, but most of those big sites do crap like posting the same article multiple times. So I just don’t read them at all. If they post something interesting, I will undoubtedly see it on Twitter or a forum.

I have never seen that happen, posting multiple times, but maybe we read different sites (other than the Verge).

Yeah, I have never liked the Verge much, so I haven’t followed them. The NY Times and, I think it was Endgaget, used to do that. I just use RSS for blog like stuff.