The Very Best Games for the PS2 and original PlayStation

There’s no shame in loving Spyro. The little dragon had three of the best platformers of that era. Plus a great soundtrack!

Okay, I had never heard of this game (or the other two), so I looked up some screenshots. DEAR GOD! Those girls have terrifying eyes!

Japan, you’ve gone too far! Dial 'er back a little!

Oh and Chrono Cross was good. May have been suggested.

Do you want to come upstairs and see my monster etchings?

My monster ecchi?

Etc.

Spyro* is one of the few games that my wife and I like equally. It’s proof that casual/family friendly games don’t have to be utter crap.

Agreed: Ape Escape is another good one… Casual on the outside, but challenging if you want to be a completionist. The overall goal of the game is to catch all the monkeys, and the devs did a good job of giving them personality. The gameplay gimmick was that there were tools that mapped 1:1 with the (at the time) new fangled Dual Analog sticks (spin the right stick to work the radar or hula hoop, both sticks to row a boat, etc). It could have been annoying, but I thought is was well done.

*I almost abbreviated that StD. Ahem.

I wanted to like Ape Escape but the screechy and entirely too cutesy voices killed the game for me. Sure, that probably makes me shallow, and maybe even racist, because that kind of high-pitched voice thing seems localized to Japanese games and, I think, cartoons.

You were put off by screeching… in a game about monkeys? Go figure. :p

RAD had so much character. Plus I love how ponderous your robots could be, at times, just like kaiju movies. Slow motion haymaker whiff!

hmm, reminds me I have a ziplocked PS2 slim i bought when shadow of the colossus first came out that I should break out again … but my TV no longer has s-video.

In the same vein, I have to recommend Makai Kingdom. It seems it wasn’t generally as well regarded as the Disgaea games, but it was my clear favorite back in the day. They took the free movement battle system from Phantom Brave, but polished it up a notch, and the game has all sorts of crazy stuff like vehicles (including pilotable mechs!) and different kinds of deployable buildings with their own game play sub-systems.

The equipment system was also very interesting. In addition to normal weapons, you could use all kinds of random stuff as a weapon (like rocks, fishing rods, air balloons or even pies) and each item type had its own list of special skills that you could use with that item (almost like Guild Wars 2!).

Maybe your receiver can convert s-video to hdmi…(or you should buy one that can).

Does it have component inputs? The PS1, PS2 and PS3 all used the same multi-out A/V connector and it shouldn’t be too hard to find some PS3 component cables that would work just fine on a PS2. They often sell for a few dollars on eBay. You don’t need the real high quality ones for PS2 cause you won’t be trying to put a 1080p signal through them.

So my co-worker gave me his old PS2 today!! YAY! I can’t WAIT to get home and see if it works! SO EXCITED!

What games did you get with it, Brian? And you got memory cards too, I hope?

One memory card, one controller and a copy of Max Paine to test it out.

Good luck!

It’s upthread, but I’ll also put in another good word for…
Killer 7: An on-rails shooter (but there’s navigation), but you’re really here for the story, setting, and characters. It’s about invisible suicide bombers and a team of assassins trying to keep them in check. It’s… a bit weird. If you have any interest in games off the beaten path, give this a look. Also came out on the Gamecube, if you have one of those.

Reminds me I should replay Killer 7 on the GC - got pretty far but didn’t finish it.
Great art design and music in that one.

K, so the PS2 made some really weird sounds, but it eventually loaded Max Payne and played it fine. Wheee! Now it’s making no weird sounds at all, dunno why. Anyway, question, if there’s a disk in the drive, is it supposed to load that disk right away or go to the browser/menu screen first?

Might be a setting you change.

I just went through all of the options twice and couldn’t find it. The browser sees that there’s a disk, and it loads fine upon selecting it, but I thought it might load automatically. I found instructions on how to take it apart and clean it, so I’m gonna try that this weekend. :)