The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold

I’ve noticed a lot of comments in the book recommendation thread for these books, but couldn’t find a thread dedicated to it.

What prompted me to make this post is that I picked up the new novel “Cryoburn” and was about two-thirds of the way through it when I noticed that it has a CD taped to the inside of the back cover. “Great,” I think. “Stupid swag from the publisher.” But on a lark I popped it in the drive to see what was on it.

Freaking unbelievably, the CD contains ALL the books of the series, in multiple digital formats from HTML to various e-book formats. Plus a ton more. From the CD’s intro page:

You are about to start playing with a new Baen CD-ROM. Welcome! It includes not only the latest book in the series, Cryoburn, but the ENTIRE Vorkosigan Saga in several formats—and The Vorkosigan Companion—all of it beautifully unencrypted and unencumbered. But wait, there’s more! Also on this disk are interviews with author Lois McMaster Bujold, and various other interesting tidbits including a sample of the French language Miles Vorkosiagn graphic novel! More than fourteen novels for free—and with no stupid codes to work around. Think of that.

What’s the catch? This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it.

Why are we being so generous? Simple: we think the more people who read Ms. Bujold’s works the more people will buy them. Say, one set of hardcovers for yourself, a set of paperbacks to lend out, possibly even the next ebook when it comes out. And if you like the Vorkosiverse, we’re pretty sure you’ll like other Baen books, too.

Holy crap! All told, this is an amazing deal, for one of the best science-fiction series out there.

Discuss below: Your favourite book from the series, her writing style, or anything else Miles-related.

“A Civil Campaign” in the “Miles in Love” omnibus has one of the most delicious executions of the dinner party gone horribly wrong trope I’ve ever read.

She is an expert at creating scenes like that.

I’d be hard-pressed to pick my favourite book of the series. I love “The Vor Game” for its Indiana-Jones-like plot of one thing after another (and an absolutely amazing third-act reveal that I can’t believe she pulled off without me expecting it).

But I’d probably pick “Mirror Dance” as the apex of the series for me. I’ve never encountered a book that combines serious sci-fi ideas, incredibly moving character arcs and God-almighty, fingers-gripping-the-armrest tension as that book pulled off.

Of course, I don’t think that book would have had the full effect it did if I hadn’t read the ones preceding it.

It’s also available for free online: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/24-CryoburnCD/CryoburnCD/

There’s a lot of fun stuff in the series, but I didn’t much like this last book. I must say the disk is a nice touch, though.

I’ve only read “The Vor Game” and really enjoyed the character. Been meaning to read the rest of the series. Could be perfect to get the book and use the digital copies for my eReader!

I love this series. The best part is that every book is a different genre.

I love Baen too, their openness is refreshing.

And the antici…

…pation of it is just beautiful. You can see the tension building in half a dozen different relationships, and then you realize that all these people are going to be sitting down at the same table…

They claim it works for them, too. That they have more electronic book sales than any other publisher. In Universe vol 1 issue 2, Eric Flint said Baen is the only publisher that sends out decent royalty checks from eBook sales, at least in part because Baen has always refused to use DRM.

And because you don’t have to hand that cute girl at the register a Baen cover.

Not all of the Baen covers are reprehensible. The Belisarius series had some decent ones, and Cordelia’s Honor is a good one.

However, is it just me, or Memory not included in the ebook set?

the covers are really the biggest thing that has kept me from reading Baen books. Nearly universally horrible.

So what would be the best book to start with here?

Looking at the Baen website, there are some embarrassing covers, but they’re a subset. Often of books where the title alone is enough to prevent you from handing it to the cute girl at the register, like “Chicks Ahoy!” or “Fangs for the Mammaries.” It’s also worth noting that Baen publishes the “Oh John Ringo No!” novels, but the cute checkout girl would have to know what’s in them to be properly repulsed.

Agreed. But don’t let them stop you from reading this series though.

“The Warrior’s Apprentice” is the first one in the series. There are two “Flashback” novels about his parents which were written next. They are both packaged up in the “Cordelia’s Honor” omnibus, and some say you could read it first to take the series in “chronological” order.

I find, however, that those flashback books tend to benefit from a certain amount of dramatic irony in knowing what happens in Warrior’s Apprentice, so I would just recommend starting with that one. Basically:

1. The Warriors Apprentice
  2. Cordelia’s Honor (Shards of Honor + Barryar)
  3. The Vor Game

After which you can proceed in order that they were released.

• Nick

You’re right, it’s missing. It’s available from Baen’s site, but it’s not on the Cryoburn CD.

The Warrior’s Apprentice. It introduces Miles fairly well. Cordelia’s Honor is earlier chronologically, but both books are prior to Miles’ life.

Wow. That’s… something.

That’s just the character though, right? RIGHT?

“It makes me feel like…like…what’s his name, Catcher in the Rye?”
“J.D. Salinger?”
“Yeah! It makes me feel like J.D. Salinger!”

– John Ringo, on having the courage to write books about men who get off on beating up women.

Given the portrayal of consensual BDSM in modern society, and the fact that Ringo’s novels have a far healthier view of BDSM than most romance/erotic/whatever novels which summon the spectre of that spectrum of sexuality, I’m going to have to agree more with him than with you.

Also, I don’t know if you’re familiar with the history of the Kildar series, but Ringo actually intended to publish them under a different name and with a different publisher entirely because he thought they were drek. It was Jim Baen who (quite correctly) assessed the appeal of the novels and the amount of money they’d bring in, and insisted that they be published under Baen’s label.