The "War Films" Thread

This thread used to be called Your Top Four “War Films”?, but it has kind of moved past that to become a discussion regarding what exactly a War Film is, what makes them succeed or fail at their stated goals, and ruminations on these themes. As well as a place to discuss specific “War Films” in depth.

Please anyone, feel free to post your Top Four, still as it is a wonderful jumping off point for discussion. The thread title was merely changed to embrace what the thread has become.

Original Thread Post: Your personal Top Four in no particular order. Grandpa movies encouraged.

I’ll start:

Paths of Glory

Thin Red Line

Cross of Iron

Apocalypse Now

Starship Troopers
“Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn’t solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst. People who forget that always die.”

The English Patient
“There is no God… but I hope someone watches over you.”

Three Kings
“The way it works is, you do the thing you’re scared shitless of, and you get the courage AFTER you do it, not before you do it.”

The Big Lebowski
“I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.”

Who knew the late 90’s were such a great time for war movies?

I was going to submit a list but I can’t compete with the effort you guys have made. :)

Okay, how about these…

The Longest Day
Casablanca
MAS*H
Patton

Full Metal Jacket is already mentioned above, so…

Oh, this one was mentioned, too, but not linked so purdy-

Besides “The Longest Day,” a special award to these three for historical accuracy:

And a favorite, because it’s a goddamn great movie:

I like your choices. You wouldn’t happen to be a C.S.Forester/Patrick O’Brian fan, would you?

Dammit, Rubin already got Master and Commander, which is like my favorite movie evar, so I’ll go with this:

OK, small scale guerilla warfare in feudal Japan, but I think it’s a war movie.

I’ve read all the Hornblower books and one of the Aubrey/Maturin books (I know I need to read the rest but they’re expensive, yo). So yes, absolutely. If I could add a fifth I’d likely add the live action Hornblower films from the late 90s.

OMG is so good.

I very much recommend the Aubrey/Maturin books, I liked them much better than the Hornblower books. I think partly because I like Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin much more as characters, they’re much more relatable as people. Hornblower’s whole idiot savant thing with naval tactics is weird, and he hates music? boggle

I did very much enjoy the Hornblower TV series that starred Gruffud.

How dare you besmirch the good name of Horatio Hornblower! Pistols at dawn!

Uhg, show up late and most of my besties are already on the list.

If nothing else for the amazing set piece at Ouistreham.

And I’ll add…

and …

I think the books are good, but I find Hornblower himself to be … weird.

Good call with Enemy Below! I love submarine movies.

This is kind of off topic (but it’s how I roll, what can you do) but my manager sent me a link about a submarine commander who knew he was being assigned to a specific model sub and spent a year studying up on it, then finds out he’s being assigned a completely different model and only has a month to familiarize himself. He realizes he can’t be an expert in all systems so he works out a method of delegating all commands except missile launch to officers over each area, and trusts they will know how to do what needs doing. It’s kind of a good study in hands-off, non-micro management style.

Also:

Expeeeennnnsssiive.

Get a library card, dude!

For…actual, physical books?! Do I look Amish to you?!