The "War Films" Thread

Yeah, that is part of the fun. Guitry is the ultimate unreliable narrator. So him telling the life story of Napoleon as Tallyrand is just delightful.

Oh hey, you know what else is a great wartime submarine movie? This is -

Below is the best haunted submarine movie ever made. Seriously.

That’s the closest to my list of favourites (which I’ve actually seen amongst all these!).

Agreed.

I’d say Das Boot, Schindler’s List…

And… I’d struggle with the fourth. Downfall, Bridge On The River Kwai or either of these:

Yes, was going to bring this up too! My gran always recalls how the drumming of their shields terrified her.

@lordkosc I have Patton on my shelf but still haven’t watched it yet. I should rectify that.

Now, the question is…is it the only haunted Submarine movie ever made? :)

We don’t ask that question. Am I going to have to brig you?

Priceless: When you google search for “submarine brig” for an image for @divedivedive to brig you with and your Star Trek Brig jpegs show up in the search.

Here, you can hang out with these blokes:

There is no way I can pick only four. It will make my head hurt.

Apocalypse Now Director’s Cut
Deer Hunter
Full Metal Jacket
Kelly’s Heroes
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot
Dirty Dozen
Casualties of War

As I’ve made maybe too clear in other posts, I’m a stickler for accuracy in historically-base movies, and I give Midway major props for historical accuracy in the preparation and actual battle scenes. But, good lord, they practically ruined the whole thing by inserting fictional characters – Heston and his son – in the middle of it and giving us a wretched lecture on race relations in that love affair between the fictional son and the fictional Japanese woman.

Worth a mention is “That Hamilton Woman” or “Lady Hamilton” (1941), which was Winston Churchill’s favorite movie. It’s 95% the affair between Horatio Nelson and Emma Hamilton, but the other 5% is the Battle of Trafalgar, which is pretty well done given the limitations of the time. The complete movie is available for free on YouTube:

I also give Tora! Tora! Tora! props for providing most of the footage. :)

This is a very good, underrated film. Overshadowed by the coverage casting choices in the press at the time.

That’s probably too much fun to be my Brig…I’d never want to leave…call me Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhuD!

https://vimeo.com/238215907

And, to be honest, the casting sometimes draws you away from the story. At least it did me. But not enough to ruin a great film.

I have not seen Attack. It is on my list and in my queue.

If you enjoyed Men in War, I recommend:

You guys listening to the Friendly Fire podcast? They review a war movie every week. It’s good.

For me it would have to be:

1. Platoon (did I not see anyone else mention it?)

2. Saving Private Ryan

and I don’t know that these are actually in my top 4 (Downfall definitely would be) but I don’t think these two have been mentioned yet and they’re definitely worth a look if you want to try something new from a Japanese perspective.

1. Grave of the Fireflies
  1. The Eternal Zero (very good if you’re interested in the Pacific air war. The book is also good.

Book:

I don’t understand why it’s a Top Four, which seems arbitrary, but here goes.

Henry V

“We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it.”

Yes it’s based on a play. But dang it. What a war movie.

A Midnight Clear

“Who are you calling Nazis? We’re not Nazis! We’re the German Army!”

The Hunt for Red October

“I miss the peace of fishing like when I was a boy. Forty years I’ve been at sea. A war at sea. A war with no battles, no monuments… only casualties.”

I think we need a little Cold War up in here.

The Hurt Locker

“This box is full of stuff that almost killed me.”

-xtien

“BAYONETS!”