The war on marijuana

The devil you know.

Yeah, I had a close friend be able to get off of heroin from staying baked out of their mind for about a week straight. It was rough but worked. But we are on the way for sure. Personally I don’t like it because it gives me schizophrenic like qualities. Just like drinking isn’t for everyone weed isn’t either. But since I am someone know can’t smoke it, guess what I don’t do. We are adults and don’t need the government to hold our hands in everything we do. ( or watch seems more appropriate )

…and also:

Only including it because those faces, though.

Maybe if they can decriminalize it and allow interstate commerce, Oregon growers can legally find a market for the mountain of bud created that they are selling at fire-sale prices:

Man, I hope they decriminalize it at the federal level. I miss weed from my college days. It was such a nice thing… better than alcohol by far.

Idahoans are waiting to accept Oregon’s surplus with open arms.

Unless Sessions is gone I don’t see this happening, but I’m of the opinion that just about any new appointee there would roll over his changes and most likely accept federal legalization in some way. There is far too much money at stake at this point.

I’m pretty sure that Congress has the power to decriminalize it.

If the President signs any bill. Speaking of, I honestly have no idea where Trump stands on marijuana. He’s a teetotaler right? Is the the same with pot?

Well, one can be a teetotaler and still have the opinion that it’s OK for others to smoke pot.

It’s intoxicating in a different way than alcohol; on the rare occasion I have partaken I’ve felt as though my senses were heightened, rather than dulled. I’m much more cognizant of what I put into my body (the thought of alcohol is actually somewhat disgusting to me in that frame - I respect that everyone is probably a little different; tea sounds great), sights and sounds are more thrilling, thought patterns can be somewhat odd: I tend to feel the need to turn off all the lights around the house unless I really need them in order to minimize energy use. The thought of a running, unused appliance is appalling. The day after comes with an immense sense of well-being.

Over the long run I’m of the mind that it’s far less dangerous than alcohol, and this is somewhat true of the short term (psychological propensities taken under consideration), not something to be experienced every day, and obviously one shouldn’t drive or operate machinery. It also takes a long time to return to baseline for me: about 24 hrs even though the actual “experience” only lasts maybe 7 or 8. I also have an extremely low tolerance as it’s a rare treat for me.

It’s great to be able to say I’ve never, ever had a bad experience with pot, although I respect others may be different.

Somewhere up thread I commented on my experiences as well. I do think it has changed over time, but as it stands now, there are a large number of benefits to those who use it for various reasons. I know not everyone shares that opinion, however, as I’ve brought the subject up around here even to some of my friends and gotten very mixed reactions. The war on drugs and the demonization of marijuana runs as a strong belief for some people.

These things were popping up everywhere. White tents, landscapes not willing to do yards anymore and if they do it’s high dollar and cash. Now a lot of the tents are gone and perhaps we can get reasonable landscapers back too.

Just turn on Fox News and see how they tell him how to think.

Its a simple calculation. If normal decent people are for it, he will be against it. If hateful Republican bigots are against it, then he will be against it.

So he will be against it. As much as he wants to humiliate his crony Sessions he is not going to do that if the price is doing the right thing.

He has abused diet pills (amphetamines), and I am not convinced he did not use coke right before one of the campaign debates with Hillary.

So I actually took this to heart a bit and thought, I really do not know what the -platform- for each party mentions about marijuana. So I checked.

The GOP platform regarding Marijuana was mentioned in their PDF, but not really discussed on the website.

From the PDF, only a single mention of marijuana:

Combatting Drug Abuse
The progress made over the last three decades against drug abuse is eroding, whether for cultural reasons or for lack of national leadership. In many jurisdictions, marijuana is virtually legalize despite its illegality under federal law. At the other end of the drug spectrum, heroin use nearly doubled from 2003 to 2013, while deaths from heroin have quadrupled. All this highlights the continuing conflicts and contradictions in public attitudes and public policy toward illegal substances. Congress and a new administration should consider the long range implications of these trends for public health and safety and prepare to deal with the problematic consequences.

And from the website, not a peep except these funny hits on searching for it:

So let’s go ahead and throw out there that it appearsto be a big fat nothing burger on their platform.

The DNC platform regarding Marijuana was mentioned in their PDF, and copied almost verbatim on the website.

From the PDF, a large mention:

The “war on drugs” has led to the imprisonment of millions of Americans, disproportionately people of
color, without reducing drug use. Whenever possible, Democrats will prioritize prevention and treatment
over incarceration when tackling addiction and substance use disorder. We will build on effective models
of drug courts, veterans’ courts, and other diversionary programs that seek to give nonviolent offenders
opportunities for rehabilitation as opposed to incarceration.
Because of conflicting federal and state laws concerning marijuana, we encourage the federal government
to remove marijuana from the list of “Schedule 1” federal controlled substances and to appropriately
regulate it, providing a reasoned pathway for future legalization. We believe that the states should be
laboratories of democracy on the issue of marijuana, and those states that want to decriminalize it or
provide access to medical marijuana should be able to do so. We support policies that will allow more
research on marijuana, as well as reforming our laws to allow legal marijuana businesses to exist without
uncertainty. And we recognize our current marijuana laws have had an unacceptable disparate impact in
terms of arrest rates for African Americans that far outstrip arrest rates for whites, despite similar usage
rates.

And the same from the website:

So in summary:
Trump would be opposed because it sounds like his base would be opposed.

Trump was for it years ago and now he’s against it because that’s the line Fox News and the GOP has drawn.

Of course there are plenty of moderate Republicans that are for it, but fascists don’t listen to them anymore.

Yesterday (4/20), Bill Maher used his final New Rule monologue to argue that Democrats should use pot legalization as a wedge issue to drive people to the polls in November, because it’s much better to have an issue to be for, rather than just being against gun control, for example. It was a good point. Today I went by the driver’s license bureau, and sure enough, they were still trying to gather signatures to put medical marjiuana legalization on the ballet in November.

So even though I don’t really feel strongly either way on this issue, I signed the petition. Hopefully it will help drive voters to the ballot in November.

Even if you’re not for legalization, it can be a bit amusing listening to the group against it just make shit up or pretzel themselves trying to explain why they’re against while at the same time justifying the legalization of say alcohol and tobacco. There are a few, very few, who fall into no anything for anyone but this largely seems to be one of those really important morale issues that an alcoholic can push.

The irony there-in is if a person is going to be addicted to a substance, alcohol is way worse for you than marijuana. Plus if a person OD’s, they die from alcohol, but they just sleep on marijuana (as long as it’s not synthetic).