The war on marijuana

That’s the worst. I don’t technically live in a legal state, but since the next state over is Colorado it’s stupidly easily to take a drive and make a legal purchase. I’ve definitely noticed a proliferation of the stuff at parties and recently I’ve even had friendly strangers at the bar offering me a toke on their “special Colorado vape pens” or similar.

I too get drug tested for my white-collar IT work, because my employer occasionally gets a contract that requires it. I think my employer realized this was making some employees nervous because they recently switched from a “surprise test as a project requires it” drug testing system to a “mandatory annual testing for all on a date announced far in advance” system to make sure everyone passes with no worries.

I don’t use marijuana, but it’s always struck me as a stupid thing to outlaw.

On the flipside, I can understand companies testing employees for various substances; if someone uses and their job is high risk, this could be a risk for a possible workplace accident. And yes, I’d argue the same for alcohol above a certain level.

In addition, as long as it’s illegal (which again, it shouldn’t be), an employee may be at higher risk for blackmail, extortion, or corporate espionage by consorting with criminals to get their drug of choice.

Stupid has nothing really to do with it, it was designed to basically lock-up and suppress specific portions of the population while enriching certain industries while doing it. There’s a fair amount of documentation on this particular drug and the government reasoning behind it.

What’s stupid is even knowing that, they, GOP and their party, still pretend like it’s some sort of society good.

Valid points.

My employment agreement lets them drug test me whenever, but this market is so starved for software engineers that it never, ever happens to anyone.

It’s probably there as a fail-safe, as a possibly easy way to terminate someone who is really screwing up. Fail the drug test and they don’t really even have to go into anything else performance-related.

It’s at-will here. They can fire you for having brown hair.

That’s why I like to wear a hat where I work.

At-will doesn’t mean they can’t be sued for discrimination. If they claim they are doing random drug tests, they damn well better make sure it’s actually random.

So the company doesn’t do testing for a while. Then they decide to test you. Completely random, right? :)

Haha. All I’m saying is some company “randomly” tested an employee, like one employee in even just a year period, whether the test comes up negative or not, they might have an issue on their hands.

Random does not mean boss doesn’t like you today.

You would only have grounds to sue if you are part of a protected class. For example, I don’t think a 30-year-old white guy could sue even if the drug test wasn’t random.

Oh I think he could. It’s not random if it’s one person. It’s like when someone tries to fire someone for this reason, but there is a record that someone else did the exact same thing and didn’t get fired. At will states does not mean you can’t sue.

I mean it’s kind of like severances. Severances aren’t just put out there for feel good points and to look good for PR. Many of those come with some paperwork agreeing not to, you know, sue.

Okay. Can we just assume that the giant company I work for has baseline competent lawyers? Sheesh.

Easiest solution is to get of bad Federal laws designed to imprison the opposition to employees and employers are not put in weird positions like this. We can go back to firing people because of their hair… or, well, maybe not once NYC is done.

Are any of the declared Dem Presidential candidates against national decriminalization?

The President of the United States doesn’t even have baseline competent lawyers. I assume nothing anymore.

I honestly don’t understand why this isn’t the defacto platform for the entire Democratic party.

You wanna get the youth vote? Decriminalize weed. I am not shitting you.

Heh. Fair play.

No, it’s the internet. Where everyone knows better.

As an attorney, I do think it is funny when I run across threads people stridently assert things that I simply know are wrong. (Not commenting at all on this thread - just speaking generally.)

I imagine it must be like pharmacists, doctors, research scientists and the like reading anti-vax threads.