The War on Science and Evidence

I have ranted about Organic foods before. But here is a good example of how the industry is shifting to let the big factory farms get a slice of that organic pie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/why-your-organic-milk-may-not-be-organic/2017/05/01/708ce5bc-ed76-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.7dea56a3e6a0&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

The dream of Ol’ McDonald calling the cows in to get his small herd milked so that you can have an expensive gallon of milk is just not true.

You really cannot trust the USDA “Organic” label, as well…

Oh…

Under organic rules, the USDA typically does not inspect farms.
Instead, farmers hire their own inspectors from lists of private companies and other organizations licensed by the USDA. An inspector makes an annual visit, arranged days or weeks in advance. Only 5 percent of inspections are expected to be done unannounced. To keep the inspectors honest, the USDA reviews the records of each inspection outfit about every 2½ years. This inspection system saves the USDA money because it does not have to hire many inspectors. The compliance and enforcement team at the USDA National Organic Program has nine people — one for every $4 billion in
sales. McEvoy acknowledged that having farmers choose their inspection companies is “fairly unique” within the USDA, but he noted that rising sales show that consumers “trust the organic label.”

Seems legit.

People trust our label to be accurate, so it must be working!

Thanks for the link, Jonny Rowe

I did no such thing.

I have no idea what you’re quoting.

I personally don’t care overly much about organic or not, but I feel bad for those who do - that reads like quite the cluster****.

I saw it with me own eyes. The words be shifting on the page, as if some unseen force was rearranging the very fabric of the universe. One day men shall see this as evidence of what was to come, but for now a great many were deceived.

Man, it is early in the morning. I haven’t finished my coffee yet either.

All the cool kids are chucking cubes these days.

There’s also the fact that they just don’t want to make the effort.

The emissions markets are dominated by the oil majors, all of whom have teams of climate scientists to help analyse both carbon trading markets, and ensuring their refineries etc all have the required emissions offsets and are monitored correctly as well as actual climate models in order to forecast energy usage models and plan core activities.

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/sustainability/climate-change.html

http://www.cnpc.com.cn/en/climate/common_index.shtml

http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/about/environment/.

Nothing on the Rosneft website funnily enough. Exxon got caught playing a double game. Perhaps the others have too but its still that they internally and externally acknowledge climate change, yet engage in shenanigans for profit. Actual climate change deniers take more of a ideological approach and want to war on science and evidence. Oil majors are full of people with STEM degrees, just particularly cynical ones.

What’s funny is that as time progresses, big oil will increasingly position itself to deal with reality, and will stop pushing climate denial, and then the ideologues will just fall in line, because they aren’t operating based on actual principles.

The USDA’s research section studies everything from climate change to nutrition. Under the 2008 Farm Bill, its leader is supposed to serve as the agency’s “chief scientist” and be chosen “from among distinguished scientists with specialized or significant experience in agricultural research, education, and economics.”

But Sam Clovis — who, according to sources with knowledge of the appointment and members of the agriculture trade press, is President Trump’s pick to oversee the section — appears to have no such credentials.

Clovis has never taken a graduate course in science and is openly skeptical of climate change. While he has a doctorate in public administration and was a tenured professor of business and public policy at Morningside College for 10 years, he has published almost no academic work.

Clovis is better known for hosting a conservative talk radio show in his native Iowa and, after mounting an unsuccessful run for Senate in 2014, becoming a fiery pro-Trump advocate on television.

Hey, he’s from Iowa. They have farms, right? Good enough for Trump.

He’s driven by lots of farms = qualified.

Matches the rest of his appointments for the most part.

He looks like a farm animal.

Fixed that for you.

Fuck. I can’t believe how brazen he is just handing the top jobs to his unqualified top donors. I guess “go transparency?”

What is it going to take for the people to rise up and overthrow this garbage?

PAY TO PLAY!!!

Oh, wait that’s totally cool and should be how we handle every nomination for everything.

Boghossian and Findlay celebrate the anniversary of Sokals fake peer reviewed paper by having a preposterous paper peer reviewed and published.

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/conceptual-penis-social-contruct-sokal-style-hoax-on-gender-studies/