The Watchmen

Great series and I need to order a copy of Absolute Watchmen. Glad you’re enjoying it, id. :)

You can probably find it for around $50 if you look around.

Sorry, I meant $75 Canadian, back before our dollar levelled up.

Damon Lindelof + HBO + Watchmen = Watchmen series beginning development.

Yeah, I’m a bit surprised another adaptation is coming in so soon after the movie, but this could be good. Watchmen was always too dense to cram into a mere 2 (or even 3) hours, though I liked the Snyder film more than some.

Of course, some hate everything associated with Lindelof, but I liked a lot about The Leftovers.

Nicole Kassell will be directing the pilot episode, which I think is awesome news for a variety of reasons but mainly because she’s an old, NYU film school friend of mine. So excited for her.

Hey, I saw her film premiere at Sundance with Tom. Anyone who has directed the Leftovers and Better Call Saul is very qualified, in any event.

Will this one have an alien octopus?

I suspect so.

Not sure anything can top the portrayals of Rorschach and Dr Manhattan in the movie version - they may have been the only aspects the movie got perfect but they’ll be missed.

Damon Lindelof wrote a letter to fans. Here:

“We have no desire to ‘adapt’ the twelve issues [Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons] created thirty years ago,” Lindelof writes. “Those issues are sacred ground and they will not be retread nor recreated nor reproduced nor rebooted …they will, however, be remixed.“

Well that’s a relief! I mean who doesn’t love a good remix?

“Endings. I’m GREAT at them.”

Actual quote from the letter. That Lindelof wrote.

And he finishes the letter with “With Respectful Hubris, Damon”.

Yeah.

Wow!

This stuff all just sounds soooo douchey and terrible:

This new story must be original. It has to vibrate with the seismic unpredictability of its own tectonic plates. It must ask new questions and explore the world through a fresh lens. Most importantly, it must be contemporary… The tone will be fresh and nasty and electric and absurd… Some of the characters will be unknown. New faces. New masks to cover them.

You can just imagine him there with a spliff and ending every sentence with “man”.

I don’t know how a guy like this ever made something like The Leftovers.

Nothing in that blog post makes me feel any better about this.

I think Snyder’s film gets a bad rep. It made some mistakes (the “reveal” scene with Dr. Manhattan and Laurie on Mars, yuck) but I think most of the casting really worked. I think changing the ending was necessary to make that movie work. I never got the hate for Mathew Goode as Veidt.

I remember going into the theater expecting to be disappointed, and being surprised at how much the movie exceeded my expectations. The intro scene is amazing and really set the tone, managing to pack in so much of the background stuff from the newspaper clippings etc. in the comic books. The soundtrack also worked really well. All in all it felt like the best we could hope for from a big-screen adaption.

That said, I don’t really think this adaption will be any good. Hopefully this will surpass my expectations. I’m not a fan of Lindelof (but I’ve not seen more than… 3 or so episodes of the Leftovers), but I think updating Watchment to a contemporary setting might be wise.

It’s officially on

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to compose a score for Watchmen.

That’s one way to make it a must watch for me.

This.