The West Wing

There was also the fact that Sorkin was (by his own admittance) coked to the gills, and halfway to being fired throughout that fourth season.

Exactly, but it explains why the dialogue was so crackin’.

If you ask me, the concept of a smart, well educated President who surrounds himself with a brilliant staff which who’s only agenda is to tirelessly work for betterment of the American people makes West Wing one of the greatest science fiction shows ever made.

And yes, it is Sorkin’s best work, and apparently even he believes it given how many lines he lifted from West Wing and shoved into Newsroom. Either that, or Sorkin truly believes there are a lot of people out there who say “Gather ye rosebuds” when giving dating advice.

We just watched the first 4 episodes…
This, Lost and Walking Dead have to be the best beginnings of a series ever. I’m stunned at how well it all worked from day one in West Wing. Such great TV.

seasons 6-7 are better than 5, which is like saying that something that tastes like cardboard is superior to something that tastes like dead, burning, babies. Seasons 6-7 are ok, and look better because they stand in sharp contrast to 5 (and to a far lesser extent, 4).

There’s some good stuff in 6-7, however they really mangle a number of characters for inexplicable reasons. The Toby arc, and what they did to Leo, in particular.

I agree. Except for Mandy who they couldn’t write out of the show fast enough. Horrendously unappealing character and an actress to match.

Yeah, for me this, Firefly and Supernatural were the best pilots I’ve ever seen. Just hits the ground running and never lets go (except in this case with Mandy, who like rrmorton said couldn’t be let go fast enough).

I never did fully understand where they took Leo during that period. Season 5 was the “we all hate each other now” season and that took a while to overcome, it felt like. :/

I started watching it for the first time a few weeks ago and didn’t even notice she was gone until I hit season 3. Hated her character so I guess I just figured she was there in the background somewhere.

Remember the season 1 episode where everyone’s tax information gets released? There’s a mildly funny scene where Mindy bitches at Josh because he received a gift (a smoking jacket) from some other woman shortly after they were broken up.

That’s the Mindy West Wing Highlight reel.

I’ve been doing a series rewatch on Amazon for a few months. That run at the end of Season 2; “17 People” through “Two Cathedrals” - I wouldn’t hesitate to call that the best five consecutive episodes of anything, ever.

I am taking your space guy badge away because you didn’t mention Battlestar Galactica.

Firefly is a much better scifi show than BSG. Now, if you’re talking the BSG miniseries, that wasn’t bad, but if you’re talking the series, their first episode, 33, was fucking amazing.

But Firefly is still better. ;-)

I am talking about the pilot. You were talking about the pilot.

I love Firefly, and own it on DVD, but honestly, there’s only 13 episodes of the thing, and even a couple of them were clunkers (The one with the kid with the artificial organs and the brothel one had moments here and there but were not, overall, great episodes).

BSG had 75 episodes. I think it’s pretty clear from Buffy and Angel (two more series I love) that if Firefly had survived multiple seasons and done 50-60-80 whatever episodes it would have had plenty more mediocre eps as well.

I don’t think they really should be directly compared because they’re just so different in aim and tone, but overall I’d put the best ten eps of BSG up against the best ten eps of Firefly.

Watching a marathon of this today. Man, this series might be one of the best ever on television. The acting, the writing, the dialog, the delivery.

Which season is Tom in? I’m jumping around watching some of my favorites right now.

Also, a little West Wing connection for me. I dated Kim Webster (she plays a character named Ginger) for a little while while I was in California. I think the character is Toby’s secretary or something.

Lucky!

Did you take her to the Guaptub?

If I’m reading IMDB right, not until the last season? Season 7?

I was also ultimately talking about the pilot.