The "What Qt3 taught me Today" Thread

1.) That upon a Profile Picture Reading from @Skipper, I am a Gaming version of a cross between Howard from Hill Street Blues and The Great Santini. I’ll take it.

2.) I need to trust my feelings.

3.) @divedivedive is delusional. And there is even more proof of that.

Hey man, Howard was pretty cool as a character.

I had a brief flashback of a movie with one of the character leads that painted war miniatures and had a table laid out in his home that he would walk over to. I can’t think of the movie, however. Any ideas? The character might have been a detective?

The Equalizer?

Great movie, but I don’t think that was it. This guy had a whole table laid out of miniatures and would paint one or move it on the table, then come back to it later in the movie. Crap. This is going to bug me.

Maybe I’m incorrectly remembering the details of it.

I meant the TV Show.

My memory was correct but it was Edward Woodward in this film, not that show:

Meanwhile read this:

Okay, after looking through those, believe it or not it was this one. I must have flipped through it at some point but forgot entirely anything about the movie but that scene. Your links led me down the path.

Murder at 1600 - Wesley Snipes character has a couple of Civil War dioramas set up in his apartment.

Here’s the first one:

And part of the second one:

Here’s the site with more pics of those and a few other shows/movies.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/diorama/dioramas-in-movies-and-television.htm

So, today, QT3 taught me there are a lot more miniatures in film and television than I expected.

This is the main one I think of:

Same here. And here are some shots from Callan (with Edward Woodward) above, as its available on YouTube. Hard to screenshot without the pause nonsense. Battle of Gettysburg.

Time-stamped start for scene:

Interestingly the film Callan was a Motion Picture based on an ITV series with Edward Woodward which looks really good (8.3 on IMDB) about a British Operative/Assassin. Great ITV in the 70s film-level production values on hat series (it looks like, Prisoner level). All freely available on YouTube, btw.

I’d argue, @Skipper, that the above is the only one where in the film they are actually playing a miniatures wargame. :)

The only one I can remember was proeminently featured in the Columbo episode “Grand Deceptions”.

Number of posts to the thread since I last delved into “Wisdom and Aphorisms from President Trump:” 14,454. I don’t like arguing that much either and I’m a lawyer.

That thread mostly just makes fun of/recoils in fear from the President’s tweets and press releases. And we always go off on tangents too, like if someone mentions food, we start listing our favorite ways to eat that food.

I don’t think there’s ever been any arguing going on in that thread that I can recall.

Can’t beat Captain Holt and Sergeant Jeffords in Brooklyn Nine Nine playing with model trains:

Funny! Their conversation reminds me of the typical arguments in simulation game forums.

The whole episode was golden. IIRC, this was the b-plot as they tried to make a fun play room for kids stuck at the precinct and wound up engaging in miniatures-based madness in the process.

I was really shocked at how much I liked that show despite how much I hate Andy Samberg.

Somebody right above me taught me that Steven Universe was just the sweetest fusion of comedy and poetry. Right from the opening. (which Netflix wants to skip. Jerks, I blur you so you don’t spoil the positivity of this post!)

Oh, brief note. The original network airing schedule switched around some eps from the end of the first season and the start of the next. I don’t think it necessarily causes any major spoiler issues, but it made the pacing a little odd. May be worth checking an intended viewing order wiki or something as you get about 20 eps in. In the US at least, Hulu goes with the jumbled order…

And yes, the opening credits are super endearing. The ending song slowly evolves over the course of the series and genuinely very lovely.

I just checked, and it appears Netflix fixed that order for me. They aren’t that bad, after all!
It is one of those series where the songs feel like the proper in and out of the episodes (the first time they skipped, it just felt… wrong, I can’t say why, but it just did). Actually I am almost sad they are so short!

This is such a nice show. And quite surprising too, even in arguably filler episodes.
But now, I am in shock. While I thought my Netflix was offering me “7+” seasons, it was really meaning it was targeted for a 7+ yo audience. Only the first season is there! I was thinking of going at a leisurely 6 episodes/day rhythm, but now I am going to brake to a single one per day, snif.

PS: Steven is awesome.

I’m not sure which region you’re in these days (I remember maybe France and definitely Japan in the past, but for some reason think you’re originally from the US?), but Hulu has all but the most recent bundle of episodes for me. From there, I bought the last couple of episode “packs” on Google Play (they are distributed kinda weirdly on VOD services). Which were excellent.

I’m really glad to hear that you’re enjoying it man, and yeah, they pack a ton of heart and warmth into every moment of the show, and even filler rarely is in the long run, if that makes any sense at all.

Sounds like it’s tricky to corner Steven, even in the US!
I am in France for now, and looking up, I discovered there wasn’t any dvd set, even less streaming (No Hulu there yet, and Frecnh streaming is usually horrible, often enforcing dubbing or subs anyway). I must not be the only desperate soul, because I found a French “official” site offering English episodes streaming — although I somehow doubt they got any rights to that!
Unrelated (or is it?), I noticed the game I had bought for iOS was unavailable anymore in France, and Apple even deleted it from my “purchase” (better call it “rent”, eh?) history! The game is still available in other countries, so maybe I’ll push my luck there again someday, as I am quite sad to not have access to that fine piece of touchscreen RPG.

As for filler, I was thinking of the vibrant Akira hommage in “Cat Fingers”. Am I glad I never watched that one as a kid, stuff of nightmares!

And is it true that any detail matters. As episodes go, the opening yields more and more of its secret. I love stuff like that so much. Thanks again for pushing me into that kid’s welcoming arms ;)