The White Lotus

Kind of surprised this has reached Season 2 without a thread on it yet. Season 1 was excellent - great acting (Bartlett and Coolidge stole every scene they were in) really sharp writing, really funny.

I was worried Season 2 wouldn’t be able to live up to Season 1, but the first episode has picked up the exact same pace and quality. Coolidge is back. It’s great to see F Murray Abraham in his 80s still going strong!

Mike White’s writing I think is the strength - it can convey a lot with very little. It makes a great change from the overwrought verbiage forced on the poor actors in Rings of Power and House of the Dragon.

I’m watching it, mainly for Aubrey Plaza, but the first episode didn’t really do it for me. I think I may have got everything I was going to out of this show in the first season. I’ll watch a few more episodes but I’m not feeling it this time.

Yes she was excellent, and that subplots awkward conversations is where the writing really stands out for me.

I’ve only watched the first episode of season 2 but I’m excited for a night where the wife and I can watch episode 2. We were way late to season 1 but it was such a fun surprise to discover. And yes, the writing is the real strength. It seems a plot summary would make the show seem so boring with so little actually happening, and yet the whole thing is so great to watch with so many hilarious and bizarre moments.

What is it?

I like this season so far. We haven’t really gotten to the crazy bits yet, as hinted in the “this season on…” previews. It looks like a fun ride.

There are two big downgrades from last season, though. No Murray Bartlett, and the music isn’t quite as good.

Murray Bartlett was so damn good in season 1.

Yeah, he was excellent last season. Although I’m trying to think of another show where the writing is the main appeal each season instead of the cast. Fargo as well?

Especially good news given all the HBO/Discovery hubbub. This season has been just as great as last season.

Just finished episode 5. This is starting to get dark.

So…

Does Daphne talking about her ‘blond trainer’ and then showing the photo of her blond son means Cameron is not the father?

I’m guessing Quentin is a con artist scamming Tanya.

Multiple deaths are coming.

Ahhh I love this show. So happy to hear it is getting renewed for a third season.

Predictions for the final episode which may or may not be obvious:

• the hooker has been developing a relationship with albi so that she can blackmail the father right at the end for a large sum of money. Hearing that the father hired her will be all the more devestating if albi is in love with her before hearong it. This is why shes been arguing with the pimp: he wants her working every night, while she is trying to set up a grand payoff.
  • cameron and aubrey plaza did not do anything, but eithan will be driven to insanity anyhow and end up getting himself killed.
  • porsches boss is going to get robbed of course, im just not sure how they will pull it off. Porsche herself has thankfully realised who she was getting 9nvplved with before it was too late.

Remind me never to go to a resort in sicily!

So that photo of Greg and Quentin…I had heard a theory that Greg was the ‘cowboy’ Quentin was referencing, but now that there seems to be proof, was it all a setup?

And yeah, my money is on Ethan murdering Cameron, only to find out that Harper was reverse gaslighting him with the deadbolt and unlocked common door.

And good grief, did Jack’s plot get dark. That was really well acted, and I felt really bad for him by the end.

It seems like the hotel manager may be the character that actually gets some kind of happy ending at the end of this season, but a lot can happen in one episode.

So was Jack told to separate Portia away from Tanya as much as possible so that they can steal Tanya’s money (however they are planning to do that)?

That’s my thought, yea. There’s a theory that it’s all a setup by Quentin and Greg to get Tanya to invalidate her prenup. Someone even said you can apparently see a red light in the background, indicating a recording of her affair with the Italian/coke/gun guy? I haven’t rewatched to see.

My cynical assumption is that the whole thing with the “pimp” is a setup to scam the family. He may or may not actually be her pimp. But that may just be me being overly cynical.

I am liking it more in the last couple of episodes. I still don’t really care about the dead bodies though, and I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as the first season, which did a really good job with the sense of things spiralling out of control.

Definitely.

Reddit solved the mystery of the gays and Tanya’s money…

In the picture of young Quentin, the other guy is her husband. Wearing a cowboy hat. Remember when Quentin told her he’d once been in love with a cowboy?

Rewatch the scenes where Tanya’s date gets undressed and begins to service her. There are multiple blinking red lights in that room – cameras. We learned a few episodes ago that Tanya and her new husband have a pre-nup. Her unfaithfulness could be used to invalidate it.

That said, maybe it won’t work. Tanya dropped some insightful wisdom bombs in that episode, too. She’s not as vapid as appearances suggest.

Very late to this party. I’ve been in bed all weekend with a nasty cold and finally watched S1. I thought it was good but still don’t get what the hubub is about. Does S2 get that much better?

That was an excellent finale. Most of my predictions were wrong, and I couldn’t be happier.