The Wii U Owners Topic

So you’d have a tablet AND controller in your hands/lap? And that’s assuming that the tech would be emulated & synchronized with minimal lag to multiple devices.

Garrys Mod had a similar cute screen wen you was connecting to server, with individual files showing as floating icons (but that actually made more sense, since gmod download a lot of small files).

I like this.

i’d keep the tablet on the coffee table. Tap on inventory items and the like when needed. Won’t be getting any gimmicky games for it.

Same here. I kept seeing people talk about how easy they are to find, but I can’t find one. As you say, even the stores that claim to have them in stock locally, don’t. Obviously they are selling pretty good, and I imagine that trying to find one after Thanksgiving is going to be a real bitch.

Yeah, I mentioned that the local Target showed them in stock to someone and she called. Their stupid stock system can’t differentiate preorders, so the ones its showing in stock are just preorders that haven’t been picked up yet.

Good for Nintendo. I think the market is stronger with them competing in it, and I was worried if the reaction for the Wii U was that weak right out of the gate. A console darn well should sell out at launch, and it looks like this one did.

Fixed that for you.

This attitude puzzles me. Exactly what games are you looking for that would use this functionality? Given that asymmetrical multiplayer games are just getting traction for home consoles, I’m not sure what you’re expecting to get from using two gamepads at home.

It reminds me of a friend of mine. When I recommended a show to him, he said, “I won’t watch it until it’s on Blu-ray. I only watch HD these days.” I explained that the show wasn’t filmed in HD, so it wouldn’t make sense to put it on Blu-ray. "Well if there’s enough of an audience, they’ll convert it. So basically, he was missing out on a great show, because it wasn’t in the format he wanted. That’s what this seems like: You don’t want to buy the system until it works with two touchscreen gamepads…even though there are no games that support that, and you don’t know what you’d use it for.

I feel like having a secondary non-controller touchscreen is even more gimmicky. There is no way that most people would be comfortable holding a controller and propping up a tablet at the same time. That pretty much guarantees that touchscreen support will be relegated to HUDs or maps, or not used at all. Say what you will about Nintendo, but at least they jump in with both feet when they try something new. Having a half-assed solution just means that your games will be half-assed.

Andy, imagine this experiment: Grab any two kids, a Wii U game, and put a Wii U controller and a WiiMote on the table and tell them to play a game together.

Repeat this with 10 groups of kids.

Any parent will bet money that the majority of your test groups will argue over who gets the “good” controller.

Asymmetry is not necessarily a good thing with a multiplayer console marketed for kids and families.

This is the first console I have not bought at launch or within launch window since the Sega Saturn. That is how completely uninteresting everything on it is to me. I will probably pick one up whenever Bayonetta 2 shows up.

Then the kids have incomplete information. What happens when they realize that the person with the “bad” controller gets to control Mario on the big screen, and the person with the “good” controller gets to tap to add platforms, but doesn’t actually play the game? What if you told them, “This controller lets you control characters on the big TV, and this controller lets you control characters on this smaller screen”?

This “problem” is only a problem until the kids start playing the game. I really don’t think it’s a big deal.

I don’t even think it’s as complicated as that, when I was younger we had one controller for the PS1, so we took shots. It was pretty rare we fought over it and we probably became better people because of it. Maybe kids are spoiled by multiplayer now.

Which probably has nothing to do with the hardware, considering the complete mess that the PC version shipped in.

Finally snagged one at Walmart using this strategy:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5530858-Wii-U-Bundles-In-stock-on-Walmart-com?

When is the Xbox 720 coming out? November 2013 maybe? That will be my only next-gen console purchase.

Thing is, a physical handicap on my right arm and hand means that I can’t properly hold or use the Gamepad. Any games that use all the features in the Gamepad I won’t be able to play and hence am not interested in. The only Wii U games I’ll be playing are the hardcore games that do relegate the screen to a map or HUD, so yes a high res multi-touch tablet is actually much better than a resistive touch screen in this case.

Since Dual Analog release in 1997 all controller designs have been small variations on that model, is there a need to evolve this design?
The Wii, or for that matter the kinect are not evolution of controllers but a different thing altogether that only apply to a very narrow scope of motion games, the WiiU gamepad is to me a legitimate attempt of evolving the controller and I curious to see how games use the touch screen in interesting way.
And like the dual analog was a much more elegant design when compared with the clunky N64 controller, maybe Sony or Microsoft can add a touch screen to a controller in a more interesting way, or maybe Valve, reports say they have prototype controllers being tested maybe one of them has a touch screen.

You don’t interact with a lot of children, do you Andy?

It’s not exactly a mystery though, is it? We know what sorts of games you get when you have a controller with a touch screen. You get DS games.

The potentially interesting evolution is the asymmetrical multiplayer stuff, but it still seems to be a niche use-case, at least for hardcore gamers.

Only in the Political forum.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

It will be interesting to see what pops up that has not already been done in some form on the DS.