The Wii U Owners Topic

Switch Pro Controller is awesome. The D-Pad isn’t my favorite Nintendo D-Pad, but it’s good. In every other way it’s fantastic and among their best.

So what are the chances that some WiiU exclusives end up on Switch?

100%, since it’s already happened with Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, and Pokken Tournament.

I’d expect more to trickle out over the next couple of years. There’s no reason to keep great games locked on a dead platform. Platinum has teased Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 ports.

Nintendo has said they’re not interested in doing straight ports; to be worthwhile the Switch versions need to bring something new to become the ‘definitive’ version of the game. Which is what’s happened already with Mario Kart and Pokken. And Splatoon if you’re being particulary uncharitable… ;)

Apart from the aforementioned Platinum teases, most people are expecting Super Smash Brothers to appear at some point too. Or maybe hoping.

Mario Kart is pretty much a straight port. The only really new thing is the battle mode.

Generally, I’d expect any Wii-U exclusive that didn’t totally bomb, or was reliant on the Wii-U control set-up, to come out on Switch eventually.

I don’t know about that… a new mode is kind of a big thing. Plus there’s new karts, characters, costumes, and a bunch of gameplay changes like holding dual items and the kids steering mode. It’s easily the ‘definitive’ version and more than a straight port.

All the “new” karts and characters were in the Wii-U DLC, no? Still, I won’t dispute that it’s the definitive version.

No, pretty sure the Splatoon Inklings for example were added for Switch version.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe features 6 new characters not present in Mario Kart 8, 4 of whom are returning from past games in the series (King Boo, Gold Mario, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr., Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy)

Right so let me re-phrase: What are the odds a third-party (Tecmo) WiiU exclusive ends up on Switch? ;)

ie Tecmo Bowl? Depends on whether Nintendo gets around to doing a Virtual Console for Switch, I would imagine.

If you mean Hyrule Warriors, I wouldn’t bet the farm on it, but maybe.

Nah. I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a refurbed WiiU just to play Fatal Frame 5, which actually got a proper English language localization and release this time around.

It’s doubtful that will end up anywhere else. I think if you want to play it, you’re going to have to snag a Wii U. That’s not a bad thing necessarily. Lots of great games on there that may not come to the Switch.

That said, I suspect the Wii U will ultimately be one of the more collectible systems down the road because the quality of the lineup is rather high, there are many unique games on it that won’t be playable any other way, and the sales were low. People will want to collect it so any system you buy now would retain lots of value IMO.

They yoinked the scanning mechanic out of Lego City and slapped it on the Switch, and everything else.

To be fair, it was only used about three times in the game and was totally pointless.

Haha true.

I picked up a WiiU late last year for about a hundred bucks with two games, and a slew of great titles for $10 a piece. The only two I want but still don’t have are Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild, simply because they’re still too expensive, but once I get through WindMaker I might grab them.

This is a great system! I bought it primarily to game with my daughter (6) and eventually my son (he’s 2), so hopefully it’ll last for a while yet. Having the gamepad in my daughter’s arms makes it much easier for her to learn, she’d rather look at the pad screen than the tv (we have a small tv, 22 inches). The games are great! I forgot how much fun nintendo platformers and action puzzlers are, being mostly PC-only since 1995 (I bought an xbox360 in 2007 but barely played it, and sold it in 2009).

If your you or your kids enjoy the little Toad puzzles in Mario 3D World (if you own it) an often overlooked title you should pick up is Captain Toad. I think there’s a demo for it, but I can’t remember if the demo is Switch only (the actual game is on both systems). It’s a little too simple for my tastes, but very cute and fun for kids I would think.

Mario Kart 8, so awesome and great with kids.

Wonderful 101 might look fun for kids given the aesthetics, but it’s a confusing frantic beat-em-up for new comers; so I’d hold off on that one unless you want it for yourself. It’s one of my top 5 games for the system though, and worth playing if you have great reflexes.

Splatoon. Splatoon is a game kids (and 44-year-old adults) apparently love. I have no idea what the gaming capabilities of a six-year-old are, but keep it on your radar for when she’s older (unless you get a Switch by then, in which case you’ll want Splatoon 2).

Also, Minecraft is on WiiU. I’ve heard good things.

Yeah! I have: Zelda: WM, Mario3Dworld, NewMarioU, MarioGalaxy2, CaptainToad, Mariokart8, Yoshi’s Yarn, Rayman, StarFox, Nintendoland, SuperSmash tennis, DonkeyKong.

I passed on Splatoon since there is no local multiplayer? And I myself have played enough shooters for a lifetime, but if it’s special I’ll think about it.

Minecraft! yeah, I heard kids like that one…

It does have 1v1 local multiplayer, but it’s a balloon pop mini game of sorts.

As for normal online PvP don’t think of Splatoon as a shooter. Shooting is just a means to an end, the goal of the game is to paint the map your color. It’s a fight over territory, and it is definitely special. I totally get skipping it though, as it’s an unknown quantity.

Single player gives you a couple dozen maps you must complete, which unlocks new weapons for you etc. And the fun and challenge here has to do with traversal as much as any enemies you’ll run into.

There’s a demo for it (I don’t remember which mode the demo covers), and I think you should try it just to see how refreshing it is; this coming from someone else who burns out on shooters from time to time.

Oh and I can give more game opinions later, helping wife at the moment.

@spiffy Some more things to play…

Game & Wario - This is excellent for local multiplayer.
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Excellent co-operative play for you and your daughter.
Mario Party 10 - Another superb local multiplayer game.
Tank! Tank! Tank! - This is an arcade game that is a blast in both co-op and competitive play. Simple fun.
Wii Party U - It has some excellent local multiplayer games.
Pikmin 3 - Probably something your daughter would have to help you play, but a totally amazing piece of work that kids get wrapped up in because of its amazing world.

On the eShop, look into Runbow, Affordable Space Adventures, Sportsball, Shovel Knight, NES Remix and NES Remix 2, Woah Dave!, and of course the Virtual Console which will present a huge number of excellent local multiplayer games on NES, SNES, N64, etc.