The Wii U Owners Topic

I’m sure you meant the opposite, but this made me chuckle. The game must be based on unicorn fairy lore for this to be the case…

Thanks for all the recommends, guys. Right now my daughter just pokes around with me in Mario 3d world and let’s me do all the heavy lifting. I’m amazed at how sheepish she is in games and how scared to ‘die’ she is. Compared to how many thousands of times I’d die playing the merciless montezuna’s revenge on the Colecovision. There’s a generational divide here…

While we’re chatting about the Wii U, I’ve noticed I get sporadic low-charge messages that flicker for half-seconds here and there. I’ve just kept the gamepad plugged via USB cable I bought on amazon to the USB port on the back of the console, figuring that would be fine. Is it not enough juice from the console to just keep it going? Looks like I could get a replacement battery on a amazon while I can, but there also seems to be a charging dock for purchase (I think they come standard with the deluxe wii U, but I have the bitty model)… but they don’t come with a cable / AC block and don’t specify what would be needed. Does this charging dock need to be plugged into an AC adapter like for tablets/phones via the USB cable I have? The annoyances of using old things that need recharging, huh…

No helpful answer here, I’ve never tried to power the tablet controller with the USB connection, I use the AC adapter for it.

As for the pro controller, I’ve never had an issue playing while charging via the USB connection.

Yeah, I should just get the integrated AC cable on amazon. The previous owners did include one, but it has the EU two prong plug, weirdly, since the console plug is UK…not sure I care to leave it plugged into a travel converter full time.

Too bad for me, I still use it.

I also watch it on my Xbox, but I’ve been playing a lot more WiiU than Xbox lately.

As of the 26th September, Wii U owners will no longer be able to access Amazon Prime Video from their devices. It had to happen sometime!

Prime Video users have been receiving emails informing them of the bad news, and offering $25 credit towards buying certain Fire TV device to help cushion the blow.

And while I can’t speak for anybody else, the Amazon Fire stuff has consistently been the very worst and least reliable streaming hardware I’ve ever used in my entire life.

Is that the stick? I have a fire TV box, which I think is now discontinued, and it’s one of the most stable streaming devices I’ve used.

The most unstable is the smart stuff in the TV downstairs :)

The only good “smart TV” stuff I’ve ever encountered is WebOS, which is on LG TVs. Even that has some problems though. Like when I signed on with one profile on SlingTV, there’s no way to sign out of that profile other than to delete the app off the TV and redownload it. But I suspect that has more to do with SlingTV’s shitty app than WebOS. SlingTV is also really bad on the Xbox.

Yea.5

Picked up a Wii U and Xenoblade today. Now just need to track down Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Wonderful 101.

Xenoblade is huuuge. W101 will be a fun palate cleanser between Xenoblade sessions (well, the other way around, really. W101 will give you a heart attack if you don’t take breaks), but I wouldn’t plan on playing FE until Xenoblade is done.

All three are fantastic games. I’d say FE took me the longest to get into.

If I can get into even one of the three, it will be money well spent.

I was also delighted to discover the eshop has a Pushmo game. The other thing on my eshop list is Affordable Space Adventures.

I wouldn’t suggest this one unless you’re playing with 1 to 2 other people. It’s very fun co-op, but very dry and straightforward solo because a lot of the fun comes from the interactivity with your friends/family. And it’s a fun co-op game, not the type that leads to divorce.

My wife and I had a ball with it.

What do you need for more people to play?

These are the compatible controllers. My wife and I used a WiiU tablet and pro controller, and it felt fine.

You just need a couple Wii Remotes for Affordable Space Adventures with three people. I think we did use a nunchuk when we played, though.

So let’s say I buy a Wii U this weekend. Let’s just say.

A couple of questions:

1. Will it play NTSC Wii games on disc just as is?

2. Can a Wii U – assuming I don’t care too much about voiding a warranty – be modded to play PAL games? Like specifically Wii PAL games?

3. How difficult is the process to modify/hack a Wii U to get it to play Wii PAL games – if that’s possible?

Just, you know. Curious. :)

(FYI: the two Wii PAL games I’m interested in trying to play on a Wii U that has been modded are both legally purchased on-disk games from Play Asia.)

Isn’t the Dolphin emulator really good right now? I know it’s not the same but you definitely don’t have any moral reasons to not go there now.

A while back I hacked a Wii to play games off a hard drive so I know that’s possible at least. That’s one step closer but different hardware (the OG Wii).

Last chance to buy off the Wii U store before it’s shuttered.

There’s also a Capcom sale with 90% off all their digital games, so don’t sleep on those. I’ll post my list of must-haves in case anyone cares.

Here’s the video version of that Digital Foundry list.

I really love the look of Yoshi’s Woolen World. I really hope they port that one to the Switch one day, or the Switch successor.

Still waiting on your list Andy_Bates.

Looking at that video, it’s shocking to me how much better the cel-shaded Zelda looks compared to the ugly Twilight Princess.

Hm, I wonder if the Europe store doesn’t have a lot of those. Not seeing any of the Capcom collections, Megaman11 etc … then again, I probably have access to all of those on PC anyway if I wanted them, discounted as much when Steam sales hit… not too much point putting them on my Wii U.

I pretty much have ever disc game I could want, bought at a pittance on ebay. Some were pricier, like BotW and Marumasa, but still sub £30.