The Winter Steam Sale of our discontent (or not!)

This whole trading card and badge thing is so complicated, I can’t wrap my head around it. So let me see if I’ve got this right: You get cards by buying games during the sale AND playing games during the sale? And then you combine cards to get globes (aka badges?), and then you use globes to get items in free to play games? Did I get that right? So all this is to get items in free to play games, right?

Let’s work this backwards: in order to get the items in the f2p games, you have to combine a set of snow globes. You can get snow globes by crafting badges (any badges), spending money, or voting 3 times (or buying or trading for them). You craft badges by combining cards from a game, which you can get from playing the game, buying them or trading for them.

Personally, I’m using it as a chance to sell all my cards, which are worth somewhere between 9 and 20 cents each. The snow globes seem to sell for about 50 cents, so it generally seems better to sell the cards I have then to buy the cards I’m missing to craft badges and sell the globes. It’s a bummer that this will be the first sale I don’t get the badge for, but oh well.

It just seems like a bad use of time unless you are playing the steam cards market like a game. Cards may be worth $0.20? You sell 30 of them and that’s an hour of minimum wage after taxes and that’s being generous.

Yes, I am not always very efficient with my time.

The only globes you’re going to get are by buying games and voting, unless you spend real money, because the cards you get for playing games will literally never be more than half the set you need to craft a badge -if- you get lucky and all of the card drops are unique, which isn’t necessarily the case. If you could complete sets by playing games the cards would actually be a fun little cosmetic system and we couldn’t have that. :P

Pretty sure this thread needs an inspirational video!

Be careful considering Valve’s statement that things from the Thanksgiving Sale won’t be cheaper in the Christmas Sale (if they are part of Daily / Flash sales)!

Dishonored DLC is -50% now but was -33% in the Thanksgiving Sale!!!
(I keep a list of every sale)

Other items are more expensive now than they were in the Thanksgiving Sale like for example Counter-Strike Complete’s Flash Sale yesterday.

EU4 is 50% off on Steam, but get it on Amazon or from Paradox where it is 75% off. Is it worth it at $10? Very tempted.

It’s worth it at $100. Game of the year.

Come on Euro Truck Simulator 2 - go on crazy sale!

$6.19 on Indiegala for a Steam key which equates to around 75% off.

Awesome! thanks a lot, Profaneicus!

But it may go to 80% on Steam and you save another dollar! ;)

I’m inspired, thanks!

That is awesome.

It’s worth it at $100. Game of the year.

I’m super tempted to pick this up, but I worry I won’t play it as much as I need to in order to get REALLY into it. I did like CK2 but the same problem happened - after a grand total of 2 or 3 hours (through several short sessions) it didn’t click with me like I had really, really wanted it to (and I know it would if I’d just put more time into it). I aggravate me.

If it helps at all, CK2 didn’t click with me either, but I thought EU3 was a pretty good game. Good enough so I dropped $20 on EUIV as from what I’ve read it sounds like it will be better. Admittedly with all the games I have I haven’t cracked it open yet, but I will and expect to like it.

I am in the same situation. With so many games to play and so little time nowadays, games that require a lot of time to get into usually do not click with me. And even when they do, if I get distracted by some other game, I will never return because of all the remembering I have to do. :)

So I am not buying this kind of games anymore. Even for $10. Willpower is failing… Look at EU3 gathering dust, willpower gets stronger… :)

CK2 is more hectic, random, and personalizing. You can imagine the characters doing all the wacky things they do, yet taut initial dive into the web of intrigue, relationships, and political status is very offputting (especially as so much “personality” is just a little button at the bottom of a character’s portrait. There is also more to do, more to oversee, and more that can happen, during the off years between major campaigns.

EU4 is more straightforward and less driven by errant personalities; the inputs and outputs are more predictable. EU4 has in some ways stronger elements of geography and culture determining your overall strategy, and tightly constrains explosive expansion.

As to the backlog problem… I’m basically done with anticipating games. I’ve got a backlog of iPad games for chrissakes. But at the same time I’ll buy a game just to support the Dev more or less. I’ll probably pick up all the EU4 expansions for example though I’ll never have time to play them. So I don’t worry about it anymore :). I mean, I just got the last Humble Bundle for $5, with like 8 games I’ve never played, and probably never will.

My gaming goal next year is to pick a few games out that id like to finish and actually finish them. Play a game of Senguko, maybe finish Demon Souls, Vicky 2. Maybe something comes up later, but I won’t stress if it does. I’ve got enough reading to catch up on as it is.

Yeah, I buy games now for that mythical time in the future when everything in my life is arranged perfectly and I will game every day for 3-4 hours and not have any other obligations. When that time comes I need to have a good library of games ready. Of course that time will never come but that has little to do with making sure my gaming library is ready.