The Wire, season 1, episode 1: the boy who would be Johnny Storm

Here I am, finally watching The Wire. How long has it even been? How long did I miss out? How long have I had to endure people prattling on about how good The Wire is? Ten years? Twenty years?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/05/06/wire-season-1-episode-1-boy-johnny-storm/

I envy the experience you’re about to have, here. This is one of the all time greats.

I’d love to hear your thoughts as you finish each season.

Careful what you wish for, because I’ll actually be doing one of these after each episode. Apologies in advance for all the forum clutter!

Also – and I hate to do this, but I figure it’s for my own good – I will probably forego reading the related threads, so you guys will be able to talk freely if you want.

-Tom

I’m anxious to read this thread having never seen the show. Sure am glad I can count on all you guys to avoid posting any spoilers whatsoever.

I think Elba was on his way to stardom in the UK and Europe before The Wire, but The Wire made him a Big Deal in the States.

So jealous. But the next best thing to a first time viewing of something good is the proxy of hearing from another first time viewer.

You seem to be watching the original 4:3, which is probably the best, certainly for the 1st run. Watching the HD 16:9 remaster is an odd but recommended experience. The interior shots have dead space near the borders which takes some getting used to, and the colours are so vibrant you almost feel you want to be there. That sofa looks so inviting.

I’ll just repeat the standard Wire lines: know that the first season is the most like a regular cop show,* season 2 is a bit of an acquired taste (I loved it but I can see why some people don’t) and season 3 is what you’re working toward, because it’s the best one.

*And will seem familiar if you used to watch Homicide back in the day.

Wow… I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone say the third season is the best. I liked it more on my second time through, but two are four were both far better in my mind.

Oh wow. I didn’t realize that was Michael B. Jordan at all. But yes, I first encountered Idris Elba in the British series Ultraviolet and have been a fan ever since. So that’s one person besides you, at least!

I’m also looking forward to Tom’s review. When I watched the first season, I think the first few seasons were available. A friend recommended it, and I found the first few episodes a bit dull, but he encouraged me to stick with it. After the first few, it was pretty irresistible. A subsequent rewatch of season one showed me that the first few episodes weren’t boring, but I wasn’t familiar enough with the characters and subtlety of the acting to really appreciate it.

You’re in for a treat - and so are we, as we get to re-live a little bit of our “first time” through you.

This is going to be great in the next episode review when Tom says: “You know, this is really not working for me. I think I’m going to watch NCIS instead.”

Gotta say this is my all time favorite TV series.

“Hows I spose a know shawty be five oh”
Season 4 (?3) beginning with Snoop buying the nail gun.

And this:

…and now we have spoilers. So bail out Tom.

The entire show was excellence but I thought seasons 2 and 4 were the best.

Grimoire on steam, Likes on QT3, and Tom watching The Wire.

Should I be paying more attention to the sign toting nut jobs on the street corner or just keep calm and carry on?

I loved all the seasons. I love them more because they move the focus, so you are forced to look at the big picture

Qt3 got me to watch the wire. I remember there was a thread about a guy wanting recommendations for great tv, and the first page (remember those?) was almost literally full of people saying the wire.

So thankyou qt3! Seen the whole series about 5 times, read both of David Simons books (which are brilliant by the way), and motivated me to watch treme and show me a hero which are also fab.

I’ve only seen season 1 and struggled to understand a lot of it due to the fast paced dialogue, unfamiliarity with the characters’ names and trying to work out the street/law lingo and hierarchies. I’m like a 486 processor with crime shows at the best of times. I started to enjoy it part way through but I always said that when I return to it I’ll just start from the beginning again. Now seems like a good time. I feel like subtitles would help me but… that just sounds stupid.

Yeah, I’m really curious to see how Tom’s response develops over the first six or so episodes. I came to the show after the whole thing had aired, so I knew it was worth sticking with, but I wasn’t feeling it until about four episodes in, after which I binged the whole thing.