The Wire, season 1, episode 4: fucking elementary, my dear McNulty

“This case is nowhere near anything we’re doing,” McNulty complains to his partner. They’re getting ready to investigate the scene of an old unsolved murder case. But we know he’s wrong. We know it’s directly adjacent to what they’re doing. We know the murder was committed by the very same person who put into motion everything that has happened.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/05/13/wire-season-1-episode-4-fucking-elementary-dear-mcnulty/

I so enjoy that scene, Tom.

I clicked this hoping you would have mentioned that scene, only to find the entire piece was about it. Great stuff :)

I think it’s “Herc”, not “Hurk”. But yeah, great scene.

This is indeed one of the great scenes from The Wire, and a famous one.

Point of clarification: this case wasn’t a totally random assignment. Landsman orders them to work the case because of the reference to “D”.

Lucky break? Yeah, but welcome to The Wire. You’ll see this type of thing go both ways throughout the series.

Oh, I caught that. I’m hoping it’s not just sloppy writing and that I’m wrong, but there is no reason the woman would know who D’Angelo is. He was sent to kill her because she was threatening to give the police information about his uncle. Unless there’s more to the story (?), any reference to a “D” calling this woman is a coincidence.

-Tom

Don’t take your eye of Lester Fremon.

Corrections:

• It looks like there’s a newline inserted between “surfaces.” and “David Simon”
  • “O[n] his way out”