The Wire, season 1, episode 9: where does it all go?

...the camera pushes in on Daniels, lost in thought. And then a shadow passes across his face. Not a figurative shadow. A literal shadow.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/06/20/wire-season-1-episode-9-go/

Just want to say that I love these essays.

Good catch with the shadow, something I hadn’t picked up on through several viewings. The Wire is full of masterful touches like that.

Really enjoying reading these too, but it’s really hard to be patient with my own re-watch. :)

Me too, they’re great reads. It hasn’t been quite enough for me to go back and rewatch, but it feels great reliving the episodes and remembering some of those moments this show has so many of.

I don’t know, Tom, if you plan on continuing these deep dives past the first season but I really hope you do, and if not then maybe you’d consider consider doing something like a season review, or just post and let us know how it’s holding up for you.

Either way, I really appreciate your critical take on the show.

Yeah, I’d be interested to hear Tom’s take on Season 2, which seems to be a love/hate thing with Wire fans. First time I watched I hated it. Then in subsequent viewings, fell in love.

Finally, Andre Royo’s performance as Bub is a joy to watch.

He’s fantastic, no 'bout a doubt it.

Daniels is asked to do something easy and is getting into a huge kerfuffle, his eyes can see a variety collection of problems, some of them because he was not a saint others because his role. Is the point of no return where he is not delivering what their boss asked for, but what the world really need. So is somewhat a forced Quixote smiley, kind of thing.

I never disliked Season 2, but I bet a lot of people did wouldn’t have if they went in with the expectation that each season of the Wire might shift around the city.