The Wire

Re-read what I wrote. And um, if this didn’t come across the first time, ignore that, I really might have edited my post into nonsense, but this is what I was trying to convey: I don’t have to have seen ER* to tell you most of what you bullet-pointed in that first post is true of dozens of dramas. You list things that are so common in dramas that the observation that any two particular shows share them is meaningless.

A hook and then the theme? Ending with music? Shocking moments? Come on man.

If I’m coming across as defensive or angry, it’s because you just said “Oh yeah, the Beatles? They’re a lot like The Foo Fighters; they have guitars and lyrics too!” Maybe–and I’m being sincere here–ER is the greatest television show (or drama, at least) you’ve ever watched. You could certainly do worse, and if what you’re trying to say is that The Wire reminds you of one of the best shows you’ve ever seen, that’s great. It’s just difficult to believe you haven’t been exposed to a lot of other shows that do a lot of the same things you list as being ER and Wire connections. My reaction is one of bafflement, not anger.

*and again, I’ve seen ER. Probably about three or four season’s worth. I liked it! But if there was any clear and distinct connection between ER and The Wire, I’ve forgotten it, and you’ve failed to explain it.

Therefore… The Wire is like Dollhouse!!!111!11!!

I think this thread means well, but ultimately what I think Jon wants to look at is what makes a great series, as there are some things common to all great series, some of them pulling things off better than others.

I think Wholly Schmidt has summed up the reaction thus far.

Just because someone hasn’t come out and said it yet,

1. There are several threads on The Wire.
  2. The Wire is probably the best TV show ever, without hyperbole.

It’s artwork. It’s Arrested Development except without the miscues and desperation. It’s The Shield but with a clear end in sight and no censor board. It’s the only thing in the last ten years that takes its time.

It’s beautiful.

H.

Uh oh, looks like someone started another Intifada.

Oh, in-deed.

I actually jumped at the special last week and gave an early Christmas present (I can’t help myself!!) I was all excited but the recipient seemed lukewarm and did not understand that he was holding like, the holy grail of television. Nerd awe does not work on normals.

I may have to loop the sexy bits as his PC’s screensaver to trick him into watching it.

It took me a long time to get started on actually watching The Wire, but once I saw the first 3 episodes I was permanently hooked.

So does / is Mad Men.

They will soon learn to show the Bunk some love

Does it take a bit to catch on? I watched the pilot and it didn’t grab me.

H.

Yeah. The quality is there from day one but it takes a bit to immerse yourself in the world and the characters. It’s quite similar to The Wire in that respect.

the wire’s had a 5 year old chekov’s gun.

The Kodak slide projector presentation in the season 1 finale was one of the most powerful and moving scenes I have ever witnessed on television or on film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus

“The Wire is probably the best TV show ever, without hyperbole.”

Q
F
T

Not to upset ER fans, but I always get the feeling that ER characters take everything too seriously. That might sound strange, since they are in serious situations, but it’s something about they way they talk and their eyes that gives me the feeling that they think of themselves as being very important. On the other hand, the wire has similarly bad situations but the characters are more charismatic and I think more believable.

Starting season 3.