The Wire

HBO has it on their HBOGo service. I wonder if they are trying to keep any of those serieses exclusive.

1. Idris Elba - he has some kind of raw, charismatic awesomeness
  2. Omar - he has badassey where only hurts other bad guys awesomeness
  3. Bodie (EDIT: I said Marlo because of dumb) - because of his evolution throughout the whole damn series.

Marlo doesn’t evolve. He’s pretty much the same way throughout, which was partially the point of his character. He’s the new, more sociopathic generation. In a way, he is the evolution.

— Alan

He might have been referring to him getting smarter due to being taught some things under the wing of Prop Joe, and then the Greek connection.

Hell, I fucked up. I meant Bodie.

Marlo was awesome, too, though. :)

Also, Snoop’s lines were priceless. Even the near unintelligible ones.

OK, good, because I definitely put Bodie above Marlo in terms of my favorite characters.

Oer a Facebook post (yes, I “Like” his page. I don’t do that for many celebrities, so be quiet), Idris Elba attended the Dinner for the British Prime Minister the other day and Obama said that Stringer was his 2nd favorite character. Did not hear who his first was. He also said “but Michelle and I love Luther”.

The president was probably just being nice, but I thought it was interesting since we just had this conversation here.

He was probably serious. Obama has mentioned the Wire as being one of his favorite TV series many times. His favorite character is Omar.

Aha. Thanks for the confirmation. I did think it was cool that he followed Elba to Luther much as I did after a couple of suggestions here.

Started watching Homicide : Life on the Street.

It’s uncanny how many tiny details and character quirks made it through to the wire.

Homicide was great, at least the first 4, maybe 5 seasons, then it went a little off the rails in the same way most police procedurals seem to (THE INTERNET WILL KILL YOU!) – the Law and Order crossovers were really good too (especially the interaction between Munch and Briscoe).

And, of course, Munch shows up at one point in the Wire…

Fresh Air had a very nice interview last week with Sonja Sohn (Det. Griggs):

Changing Baltimore Long After the Wire

She’s using the street cred she picked up on the show to try to help Baltimore teenagers with serious records. Also, apparently grew up in a very serious neighborhood, much like the you see in the show. So similar that she was having what sounded like flashbacks during the filming of some of the scenes.

Ok, this has to be seen to be believed.

The Wire, the Musical

Michael Kenneth Williams stars alongside Sonja Sohn, Larry Gillard Jr., Andre Royo & Felicia “Snoop” Pearson from The Wire in The Wire: The Musical where they will allow you to experience America’s failing drug war through the magic of song!

holy shit can’t breathe

Damn. Blocked at work.

It’s a sad indictment of my own media consumption that I’m mildly resentful of being reminded that Omar, Snoop and the rest are just actors and not the fantastic characters they portrayed.

Snoop kinda is.

With such wonderful rendition of hits like “Soldier Boy”, “Down on the Corner”, and “East Side, West Side”, and great original songs like “I’m a Sobotka, You’re a Sobotka”, “Where the Heck is Wallace?” and “I Ain’t That Humble”.

Thanks, mystery!

batman the musical was better.

That’s why I was resentful about seeing the actor who plays Omar as a recurring character in Community this season. I don’t ever want to see him in other roles! He’s Omar!

I kind of agree, but I feel bad for the dude too. He’s a dark skinned black man with a facial scar… I’d love to see him do well in Hollywood in spite of their casting tendencies.