The Wire

Ah, Marlo’s phone number - fair enough, I kinda spaced on that bit.

The only problem I had with that show is that I hated everything about McNulty. He was by far the weakest character in the series and by far the worst actor.

What the fuck did he do to you?!

Related, another fun interview with David Simon. Its choice of pull-quote at the top is beautiful:

My standard for verisimilitude is simple and I came to it when I started to write prose narrative: fuck the average reader. I was always told to write for the average reader in my newspaper life. The average reader, as they meant it, was some suburban white subscriber with two-point-whatever kids and three-point-whatever cars and a dog and a cat and lawn furniture. He knows nothing and he needs everything explained to him right away, so that exposition becomes this incredible, story-killing burden. Fuck him. Fuck him to hell.

What can I say? I just didn’t like his stupid face and his stupid googly stare.

And I thought he was a bad actor in the role of the shows weakest character.

The newspaper theme was the weakest of all the show’s themes. It was less developed and with the exception of the veteran newspaper guy (Gus?) lacked the excellent characters that made the rest of the story lines great.

I thought that the second season was a bit weaker than the rest as well but Frank and Nick were such strong characters that they carried it.

McNulty is awesome. Jimmy and Bunk make sweet music together.

Sweet, sweet music. (Fuck.)

“Fuck, fuck, fuck.”

“Motherfuck?”

“Awwwh fuck…!”

“Motherfucker.”

I can understand that (but not necessarily agree); I was actually just throwing in his catchphrase.

You have to admit though, him doing the bad fake English accent in the prostitution sting was hilarious.

Sigh. Yes I do have to admit that. You are all making a good case for McNulty but I will not be swayed from my irrational hatred of the man.

I love this guy.

Does he need babies? Because I would have them.

The ‘insiders’ lost interest. Military guys that I’ve talked to seemed to feel similarly about Generation Kill, too.

But this outsider loves both series. Fuck it, Simon. Yous just keeps it realz like you’ve been doin.

They lost interest across seven episodes? I’ve known veterans that weren’t interested at all, but never some that put it down halfway.

I saw a scene at the end of season 1. Stringer Bell faces someone across plexiglass. He picks the phone up with his left hand and holds it on his right ear.

1. Hard of hearing?
  2. So paranoid he needs right hand free to shoot people? I don’t think he “has touched a gun in 10 years”.
  3. No obvious or noticeable physical disability indicating weakness of left arm. Hm
  1. Looks cool doing it.

Actually, that’s explained in the second episode of season 3.

I scanned through Sentencing yesterday and couldn’t find the scene… can you give a minute marker for this?

I was kidding, sorry about that. I thought it would be obviously ridiculous along with a 3 part list analyzing the way a character holds a phone in one scene in one episode. But in retrospect, probably a dick move since wisefool may not have been joking.

Sentencing is the final episode of the first season.