The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I went back in last night and discovered I had stupidly set the game aside 5 or 6 months ago right at the start of the Iris’s Greatest Fear boss fight. Talk about a crash course in getting reacquainted with the combat mechanics mighty quick.

I thought I had no chance of ever winning against all those guys at once, but then I discovered you can back off and fight them one at a time. Then I discovered parry and quick dodge (I usually just Quen and roll my way through the fights) and after about two dozen tries, I finally won! Got me that violet rose and the doggy and kitty went poof.

The Witcher 3 still holds up. GOATY

It sure is… I just regret how my gaming habits negatively impact the story experience. Shame on me!

Y’all talking about this again has given me the urge to replay, something I said I’d likely never do. Since I had the original game as a freebee with a video card purchase, I upped for the GOTY edition from GOG with the thought to jump back in with a fresh install, trying for a different path and style of play if I can. I’ve forgotten enough that it’d assuredly feel like a new experience.

It was such a huge game I’m afraid I’m going to be drawn away by something else before I finish it, though.

If you have fun while playing it does it really matter if you finish it a second time? Just play till you’re bored, Geralt and Ciri aren’t gonna judge you!

Also, I think they put in an option to insta-level you up so you can jump into the expansion content if that’s what you want to do. So you could play some to get the hang of the controls again and then jump to Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine.

I think you can do that. :)

Yeah, I know but…I can’t. It’s so hard to stop (good) story-heavy games in the middle. Likewise, I can’t skip ahead and leap chapters of story just to get to new content. I’ll just have to focus.

Well, one of these days I’ll finish the expansion content a second time. I did a playthrough at the beginning of the year and finished the main story and set it down thinking I’d pick up the expansion content next week. But next week is yet to come and it’s been a lot of weeks.

What’s worse is I actually think the expansion content is really great, but I got sucked up into other games and my gaming time is not what it once was. But I don’t regret re-playing the main quest just because I never got around finishing the expansions again. And one of these days I will!

I wrote that three years minus one week ago. My word is my bond, good people of Qt3! I will see this through before Cyberpunk!!

Chris Traeger Feelings Update:

I just finished Hearts of Stone… great finale! Just fantastic overall.

Since The Witcher 3 came out, I kept upgrading the hardware I’m playing it on, plus those great texture mods improved the look of the game. I think the graphics have stayed pretty much cutting edge for five years running. But now the game is finally starting to show its age, especially compared to Red Dead Redemption 2 which I’ve been playing a ton of lately.

On to Blood and Wine! Cyberpunk, ho!

Very nice. I still need to play the two expansions. It will be so different to play it on Next-Gen because of faster loading. It’s the game on the Xbox One that I remember took so long to load that I needed to watch TV on the right side of the screen while it was loading.

Version 12 of the PC fan made graphical overhaul releases in a few weeks:

Wow, I really have to admire this guy’s dedication. All that effort for years just to make the game look slightly better.

Don’t over-exert yourself. Play one expansion now, then the other one on PS6.

edit: You were right Rock8man!

I don’t know why the hell I had it muted. I guess I was tracking it before until it got old and removed it, but instead of Normal I clicked Muted.

Do you have it muted?

See above.

Works for me… Try WItcher vision!

I LOVE that there’s an enhanced version coming…and for free. I would have been happy with backward compatibility.

Makes sense to me, it’s a hugely successful game and they want to sell it again on next-gen consoles. I wish Bethesda would do the same with Morrowind and Oblivion.

They mention raytracing and hdr… but the best improvement they could do it’s to have higher definition textures. There are some in the base game that are a bit too low res.