The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Did you visit all of the “?” spots? I have left a fair few, have maybe 10 witcher contracts left, the passiflora gwent tournament to do, ignored the witcher gear other than the cat series, but yeah other than that I think I did it all. You may be slow, but I also may have went a bit too fast. There’s no right answer for a game like this, I can see the value for a more relaxed pace where you let the surrounding sink in.

I had ? disabled so I only did those I found when travelling or exploring. I did al the contracts and all the quests I found though, got all the witcher armors etc. Oh and I didnt use fast travel.

Yeah, I think I was well over 100 hours when I finished the main quest. Love the game but life got extremely busy and I think I am a little bit burnt out on it now. I am a few quests into Blood and Wine, but don’t have much urge to play. Hopefully pick it back up in a month or two.

Are there any mods that let you tinker with the movement? I really really hate the way this game moves, I’ve bounced off it 3 times because of it lol. Everything having that (to me) overly laggy feeling, where everything happens a second after you want it to really drives me nuts. If I could just turn down the momentum by 50% I’d be happy.

Have you tried the alternate movement mode that was plugged in with the first major patch? It makes a difference.

I can see what they were going for with the movement. Running at a sprint pace or riding a horse is not as smooth as many games portray. With that said, however, my only grievance with the game is how annoying it can be to ride Roach sometimes. You’re going at a great pace and then some small object on the road or surrounds suddenly stops you, or how jumping with Roach only works if there’s a full moon and the wind is just so.

Hopefully The Witcher 4 will fix those issues. There’s a Witcher 4 coming right? What, there isn’t? Nooooooooooooo.

I finally started playing this! I received my new desktop last week, my new monitor yesterday, and an Xbox 360 controller this afternoon. This all coincided with me finally completing The Witcher 2 last night (that game really started dragging in the last chapter, btw), so now I’m finally set to go.

I’ve only played for a few hours, and I only just switched to the controller, which is taking a bit of getting used to, but I’m really enjoying the game so far.

My recommendations for any new TW3 player:

Go to options menu, enable “disable fish eye effect for witcher sense”, enable “alternative movement response” and customize your HUD as you want (recommend turning off stuff like Roach stamina, controls help…). Keep point of interest markers enabled for White Orchard, but disable them before you leave.

Go to nexus and get:

Gopher’s Immersive HUD Tweak by 3x0skelet0n ( http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1951/? )

Immersive Cam ( http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/689/? )

FYI sign ups are up for the gwent card game kill the servers event. Pre beta gwent action.

Got my code right away after signing up. Visit https://playgwent.com/en/killtheservers

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips. I was already using alternative movement, but it’s nice to be rid of the fish eye effect.

I think I’ll skip the first mod, as I can’t tell at a glance what it does. I’m not really sure about the second mod either. Does it fix the horrible camera controls when using a gamepad? I had to go back to mouse and keyboard as the camera was constantly pointing away from the action, and moving it back required me to use my right thumb (which was busy with attacking and rolling). Does anybody use a gamepad for this game? Is there some way to make the camera not suck?

I played 550 hours of this with a gamepad.

I included links to those mods so you could read what it does. Immersive Cam gives you total control over camera. Right from the menu you can control the distance, placement, whether it should autocenter itself…literally everything. It is perfect mod.

And its submods are great too, alternative Roach controls, immersive meditation, immersive motion. Must haves.

Immersive HUD does a very simple thing - it hides minimap and quest info automatically, and makes it so they appear when you enter witcher sense. Great for exploration and immersion.

Alright, cool. I’ll give them a shot. Thanks.

Just make sure to read the readmes. The installation is very simple (cut and paste mod folder into folder “mods” inside witcher 3 install), but to get the ingame menu options, you have to copy and paste some xml files as well, if I remember correctly.

I used gamepad. Try using the lock-on function - click the right stick, and flick it to change targets.

I’ve been playing with the lock-on function a bit, and it does help a little, although I usually prefer not to use it with multiple enemies. To be honest, the camera actually isn’t too bad in regular combat, but it’s terrible when fighting in a horse. I’m keeping the mouse on standby for those occasions.

Also, I made it to Velen, and I’m having a blast. Many of the quests seem to be high level, though. Should I go back to white orchard and explore a bit more?

I had a couple of very nasty crashes, where I had to use system restore to get back into windows. I’m not sure, but I think it’s related to nvidia streaming. At least, turning that off seems to have helped. What’s up with nvidia and their always-on shit software?

In Velen, at first focus on the main quest, simply leave the higher level quests for later. Note that you can actually do them if they are, say 6 levels around you, they will just be more challenging. Main quests give most XP though so it is good to do some of those early.

As for nVidia, I am using Geforce Experience, recorded ton of videos with it, and never had any crash (in any game). But I have their “always record last 5 minutes or whatever” function disabled, and only record manually. Maybe there is some issue with the realtime record stuff, dunno.

And on a horse, if you hold the attack button, time gets slowed down so you can aim easier.

When I first got to Velen I thought I needed to go back to White Orchard to level up some first as well. I did, and found really there wasn’t much left to do and what was left didn’t get me enough experience to make a difference. As Paul said, just concentrate on the main quest and you will start zipping through the levels.

Be sure to explore around where you are as well. While there can be some higher level monsters wandering, I never found anything I couldn’t get away from.

I would also attempt to do the Treasure hunts sooner rather than later if i was going to do it all over again.

While you’re never going leave White Orchard overpowered, it’s a good place to get a feel for the whole game–play some gwent, gather herbs, draw power from the shrines, learn alchemy and crafting, etc.

I cleared it out as completely as I could, and felt pretty confident about what I was doing by the time I got to Velen.