The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I think Techland did an amazing job with Dying Light. Now inject some Witcher talent in there? I’m excited to see what comes out of this!

Honestly, probably not. They’ve done a good job of incorporating some player QoL fixes from mods in patches with the two expansions. I’d just get in and play.

Sounds good. I’ve heard nothing but great things, but I’ve been holding off playing it until I had enough free time to invest.

There are three I would recommend, they immeasurably enhanced my second playthrough:

1. Immersive Cam with its submods. Greatly enhances immersion, offers tons of options to customize camera. I dislike the default “far from Geralt” cam so I make it closer to him, disable autocentering etc. Includes immersive meditation, better roach controls and walk controls, if you use gamepad.

2. Immersive HUD with a tweak - hides minimap and quest info, only makes them appear when using Witcher sense. Greatly enhances immersion when just exploring.

3. Sensible Map Borders - disables map opening whenever Geralt reaches map border, also nice to have when exploring. Geralt still gives info that border was reached.

Also, make sure to disable point of interest markers on minimap once you leave White Orchard. Leave them enabled there and explore all of them there.
Disable fish eye effect of witcher sense.
Enable alternative movement response.
Hide all HUD you can.
Find graphics settings that will give you 60fps no matter what.
Select proper difficulty (I recommend Death March, it can be a bit hard in the beginning, but fun).

Sounds good. I like both Techland and CDP, so it is a win either way.

I was wondering why he would admit that working on that IP would make him sadface, because you’d think admitting something like that publicly would be frowned upon by his new employer. But then it occurred to me that maybe that’s not a sadface but a face that’s starry-eyed.

If I could do it all over again (sigh), the one change I would make is turning off the points of interest and, generally speaking, making it more ‘immersive.’ Too much of my early game was spent chasing markers.

My only caveat to that pertains to places of power. Combat is the weakest of element of the Witcher, and abilities provide much needed spice. The parsimonious skill tree locks so many fun abilities behind walls of meaningless abilities, and getting all those quickly helps a little.

Actually… what I think would be most fun is playing for the first time on new game +. Seriously- same exact story/experience, but with lots of fun combat abilities. Can another player give you their save game that you can use as the basis for a new game +?

`

I actually disagree - when I played second time, I purposefully went for standard new game, since I enjoy the character progression and gradual gaining new abilities.
However assuming you are on PC, I think there is no reason why saves should be incompatible. Hell I could upload my own save from finished game if you wanted it for NG+.

Thanks for the tips, Paul_cze. I’m looking forward to starting my playthrough tonight, and I’ll definitely try to minimize the hud as much as possible.

I’m hoping this is a good place for this question. I’ve been playing Witcher 3 for a while now, and I think I’m around halfway done with the main campaign (now level 20), and I just don’t think I’m enjoying it as much as I should based on the rave review it gets everywhere. I don’t particularly like all the cut-scenes and dialogue (when I want to watch a movie, I’ll watch a movie), although I do acknowledge that the production value is through the roof, and everything is exceptionally well done. My main problem, though is the character movement. I’ve tried both options for movement, but neither of them are fluid or comfortable for me. With one option, the movement is delayed after pressing and holding a direction button, and with the other, the movement starts with a jerky, jumping sort of action. I’ll be standing right next to an object I want to “loot”, but when I try to move toward or face it in order to acquire the object, I jump over it or move past it. Most of the time it takes me multiple attempts to pick up the simplest items that in my opinion should be a very easy, casual thing to do. I can’t count the number of times I’ve “Aarghed” in frustration over this.

I haven’t seen any other movement mods to change this to my liking. Are there any available and/or does anyone know what I’m doing wrong or if there are other settings that can adjust this?

Sorry if this has been answered in this thread. I’ve avoided reading to avoid spoilers.

This x1000 for me. I just cannot get past this. I’ve started this game 4 times now, have a total of 8 hours into it, and I hate the movement to the point where it overshadows anything else the game is trying to do. I think for me, it’s just going to be one of those games I can’t settle into.

It’s never going to feel great, but I’ve found that I can adapt to almost anything after a few hours. If you can’t then you might be in trouble without a mod.

I bet they still have that Aurora engine acceleration code in there. :) Trying to loot something a few feet away still feels like Neverwinter Nights. They’ve never shaken that feeling.

I admit I have no idea how you could find movement so problematic. I was playing on PC with controller and it feels exactly the same as in any other third person game, particularly with alternative enabled. I played MGS5, which is praised for its controls, after TW3, didn’t notice anything super different.
When looting, I just turn to its direction and…pick it up ?
If there is one thing that pisses me off about controls in TW3, it’s how Geralt sometimes makes a roll when going down the stairs unnecesarily. There is a mod that fixes that.

The problem for me (and it’s not huge, but noticeable) is that Geralt handles like he weighs half a ton. He seems to take a moment to get moving when I push the stick and then slows but doesn’t immediately stop when I do. He seems to have more mass and momentum than a person his size should. And then he doesn’t really turn on a dime, kind of the way Nico in GTA 4 and Marston in RDR also couldn’t. I adjusted to them and I’ll adjust to Geralt it just takes a little more time and effort than I expected.

Actually you guys should try (assuming you are on PC) Immersive Cam. It includes a submod which does this:

IMMERSIVE MOTION - RE-ENVISIONED
(works for both gamepad and keyboard players)

Here’s what the mod does…

1. Dampens Geralt’s transitional animations (the animations when Geralt starts moving). The over-fast, jerky transitional animations are one of the main causes of the vanilla gamepad controls feeling so floaty and imprecise. Once you try the mod, you’ll notice the difference immediately.

2.Gives you full walking movement speed control.

For gamepads…

• Stick ranges are weighted to feel natural, allowing you to easily transition from slow, to normal, to full on power walk, without having to think about it. You shouldn’t have to concentrate on basic movement controls.
    -The mod grants variable run speeds too. Press and hold A to run - Double tap and hold A to sprint (similar to Red Dead Redemption and GTA).

For keyboards…

• Toggle Walk/Run becomes Toggle Slow Walk/Normal Walk
  • Hold Shift to run - Double tap and hold Shift to Sprint
  1. Eliminates forced stops when sprinting. Although sprinting still reduces stamina, you are no longer required to stop sprinting when your stamina runs out. Stamina replenishes in less than a second, so why be made to stop at all? Stamina does not diminish at a normal run.

2. Allows you to move Geralt at the same movement rate indoors and out (although sprinting is still restricted in most buildings). Didn’t you think it was strange how Geralt would speed up as soon as he walked outside and slow down as soon as he walked inside? No more.

I played with it, hence my previous post (didn’t realize it). Controls felt fine with it.

Putting aside the discussion of fiddling with the movement to make it less frustrating, if you feel this way about the game’s story and side-quests I doubt you’ll ever think of the game as more than a pretty good RPG. Go watch a movie and then come back to the PC to play a game that is highly reviewed for its mechanics and gameplay.

I don’t mind the way Geralt moves (Roach is a different story), and I also think the combat and RPG mechanics are fun. However, it’s the world design, dialogue, graphics, and epic scope that makes it a Top 10 of all time game for me.

I’ll try that mod Paul, thanks! This game should be right up my alley, as I like the genre etc, have hundreds of hours into similar titles and so on. I second the ‘feels like he weighs too much’ assertion. The whole thing just feels clumsy.

That mod does sound like it would fix things for me, as it is exactly the transitions when stopping/starting that make this so unpleasant.

I played Witcher 3 on release and with no mods. It was an amazing experience and the game is head and shoulders above any game I have ever played. Prior to it, BG2 was my favorite game. Witcher 3 crushed BG2 and it was not really close.

Its shocking how bad the movement always felt. Getting used to the it after spending time away from W3 always took me a few hours, and then it slipped into the background. When booting up Hearts of Stone for the first time I seriously thought about just giving up fairly early on due to that, but luckily the plot picked up at the right time.

But what this means is that there’s a ton of Blood & Wine side quests that I didn’t have time for, and they aren’t a big enough draw to get acclimatized to the game again. (I tried a couple of weeks back and managed to do one side quest before quitting). So a movement mod might be just the thing!

Thank you, Paul_cze! I’m trying the Immersive Mod right now, and it looks like this will help!

@Tim_N: I believe you’re correct. My impressions so far (more than halfway through the main story) are that it is a “pretty good RPG”, definitely not my favorite, or even in my “Top 10 of all time game”. I completely understand how some would feel that way though. There is lots to like: Huge, film-like productions, deep, complex plots/story, well-acted dialogue, loud, orchestral music (notice that I haven’t mentioned boobies), extremely long stretches of beautiful, well-acted, plot-centric cut-scenes, dialogue choices that may actually change some small plot elements somewhere down the line, Gwent (which I have not played since the first tutorial), horse-riding (still not saying boobies) and equipable items for your horse, horse-racing (which I hate because I suck at it), new and interesting monster lore (THIS I LIKE!), encyclopedic reference material for nearly every item and character in the game, completely optional set of crafting and alchemical recipes which I’m told will improve stuff (not tried any), a pretty gosh-darn good mapping system (boobies not stated) with which to track current quest objectives, lots of optional side-quests with which to improve your experience, and a quick-save/quick-load system that works!

All of that said, I should love it, but it’s just ok for me, and I can’t explain why. I felt the exact same way about Mass Effect 1 and 2, but ME3 I loved for some reason. Moon positioning, planetary alignment, my big left toe itches, hemorrhoidal flareup… I don’t know.

Oh yeah, it has BOOBIES!!!

(dammit!)