The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

How are you getting mods to work? My game just plain says no to them. Sigh.

I created the folder Mods in my Witcher folder and put them there, followed the instructions. I was careful not to have any conflicting ones though.

I find that the movement is far easier for me with an analog controller, despite my usually being a mouse and keyboard guy. You could give that a try.

Hm, I do this, and get no results. Possibly the mods I’ve picked are not for 1.31

Edit: Figured it all out.

New book coming out

For a second there my heart stopped and I thought you meant new book is coming out, not a book I read 17 years ago :)

Sorry about that :-)

I finally booted this up the other day and I’m absolutely in love with this game!

The Witcher 3 has the most ridiculously detailed open-world I’ve ever experienced. I haven’t had this sense of discovery since the original Dark Souls. I followed Paul-cze and others advice, and switched off the UI. Just finished the Ladies of the Wood quest, and don’t want to stop playing.

And you have just scratched the surface. If you haven’t, you might as well go ahead and get the two DLCs because you WILL play them and they add even more. In fact, Blood and Wine is very much Witcher 3.5, as the world and atmosphere is completely different.

Yeah, turning off the question marks add a LOT to the game. And after about a year (it seems) of playing nothing but W3 I had such a feeling of sadness when I retired Geralt. Though I must say, at least in my game, the ending scene was absolutely perfect. Just another touch of the writing genius in the game.

My only other advice: Play the game and make the decisions that feel right for you. Don’t worry about the “Best” decision. They don’t set any banana peels down, i.e. you won’t make a decision and then feel like you were tricked into the losing outcome.

I’m jealous of you just starting up!

@JeffL, that’s really encouraging to hear. I picked up the Game of the Year edition over at GOG, which includes the DLC. I can’t wait to play Blood and Wine! The whole world feels completely bespoke. Because I’m used to Bethesda open-world games, I just assumed that when you create a world with that level of scope you have to lose the bespoke content, but The Witcher proves that’s not the case. Even at 30 hours, this is the most impressive game I’ve ever played.

Thanks to the noirish ambiguity of the world, I’ve been exclusively following my gut. I love that you can’t ‘win.’ That said, I feel pretty satisfied with how I wrapped things up with Keira and the Baron.

I’m so impressed by the number of call-backs to Witcher 2. I imported my old save from 2011, and my Geralt still has his neck tattoo from when I foolishly accepted an invitation at the end of a quest. I just teamed up with Letho, which was a very nice surprise. I’m used to games superficially rewarding that kind of stuff with a extra line of dialogue at the start of a conversation or something, so a full-blown quest felt extremely generous.

I loved Witcher 2 but I never thought CD Projekt were capable of executing a game this ambitious.

Please tell me you let Keira go to Kaer Morhen.

And yeah, transfering (actually further improving) Witcher 2’s quest design/writing qualities into an open world of this magnitude is an astounding thing. One of their level designers said one one interview that their writers put out superhuman performance in this game, he wasn’t kidding.

Yeah, it also reaches into the books. I remember the first time I ran into a certain character, and they had a brief exchange on his limp, and the fact that Geralt was responsible for it, and it immediately took me to that encounter in the book.

That’s what I chose to do because it seemed like the most reasonable response, but I took the formula off her to be on the safe side. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

So I started the game last night, got as far as the inn. Not enough time to really get much into the story, other than to say that the game does a good job of establishing that these are characters with long standing relationships and history.

Also, and this may seem weird, but the game has as strong of a sense of family as any game outside of Brothers has. Though I know that biologically Ciri is not Geralt’s daughter, the scenes and writing in Kahr Moren definitely create that feeling.

The scenes in Kaer Morhen are even better for people who read the books, since they are a direct reference to a very interesting and poignant chapter in one of the books (“Blood of Elves”). Witcher 3 is great for any gamer, but people who read the books have so many more reasons to “geek out”. It’s awesome. :)

As a side note (and it’s mentioned in the game), in the books, it was Triss who stayed in Kaer Morhen with Ciri, not Yennefer. That said, Triss is more of a big sister to Ciri, while Yennefer is more of a mother figure.

Yeah, I got that from the conversation with Vesemir. Not the full picture, mind, but that Yen had never been there.

I’m playing for the first time - around level 8 in Velen. What I can’t figure out is how anybody makes sense of the inventory for alchemy or crafting. There are so many things there that my eyes glaze over when I look at it. Other than going into the alchemy and crafting screens and making things, is there any reason to try to sort out WTF is going on in those inventories? Also, I have zero interest in gwent. Is that going to be a problem?

forget about your alchemy inventory. Just manage it from the crafting screen.

I never played gwent and i am just about to finish the game for the first time. You miss out on some money and achievements, but it is no big deal. I dont care for gwent.

If it really bothers you and you play on PC, there is some mod that lets you cast the fire spell to auto win gwent.

Yeah, don’t worry about the alchemy inventory. The crafting screen lets you know what’s important, what you need that you don’t have, and what you have plenty of.

You just use those inventories when you want to craft some armor or whatever or bew a potion. I don’t understand what more would you like to do there ?

As for Gwent…there are some cool quests that incorporate it, and it is a fun game once you learn it, but it is optional.