The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I, uh … don’t suppose you would be willing to write any Witcher fanfic by any chance?

In a world … where darkness lurks in the heart of every man… an even greater darkness lies waiting … from beyond the stars.

Axe and Pylon: A Witcher’s love story.

The who? You mean the sacred flame* or whomever it is going around burning witches and employing the witch hunters?

If so I’ve not passed a justified reason to shank one of them.

Definitely not a northern loyalist. Obviously the dialogue insinuates some norntherninst loyalties for Geralt, but I’ve definitely not felt the same. Perhaps if I’d played the first two. But the systematic extermination that they are engaging on I think leans me towards intervention. In some ways it is the professional thing to, since Djikstra did help your personal mission. You contracted him for a service, so to speak, and so professionals repay what’s owed ;)

*like I said, playing in scattered bursts.

Also, there’s an achievement for killing Radovid. Just sayin’.

Well, Geralt does spend a whole game (Witcher 2) trying to clear his name, since he’s accused of (guess what!) regicide. So you might wonder why he would consider actual regicide this time.

That said, Foltest was sort of a friend of Geralt, and Radovid is nothing of the sort - and Geralt has killed powerful, influent men before, so in the end either choice seems valid.

But more importantly… not killing Radovid may lock you into the bad ending depending on other choices you make, and unless you really want to get depressed, you’d do well to avoid the bad ending. :)

Well I mean this is just me, but that makes the whole thing even funnier. I like the idea of Geralt spending an entire game busting his ass to clear himself of the false accusation of genocide and then in the third game he goes, yeah fuck it, let’s kill a king.

I think I ran across the guy who actually did it too, and helped him make his escape, if I have things right.

You mean Letho, the big meathead Witcher?

Yeah, that guy!

I played Witcher 2 twice. And both times I just had to let Letho live. And it was nice to meet him in Witcher 3.

I love that guy, seriously one of my favorite characters in a bunch of games full of colorful characters. I love that nobody takes him seriously, just considers him muscle while he’s masterminding this plot to take out all the kings in the north under their noses. I’d play a game with him as the PC in a second.

Letho didn’t mastermind the big picture - he was a pawn in somebody else’s game. Willingly, of course, and his competence can’t be questioned, but by the end he realizes that very thing.

Well … he was working on somebody else’s behalf, certainly. But walking a pretty high tightrope without a wire.

Things I miss by skipping 2.

That makes some sense, but I’ve also generally been playing Geralt as someone who in generally ‘won’t act against magical creatures unless they are killing people’. Like I came across some Sylph I think, hidden in a basement of some ruins. Got things set up so he’s treated as a deity, local make sacrifices and such. Ultimately I let him be, with promises to cut back on the offerings. Basically Geralt as, being somewhat in the magical realms himself, with friends and lovers of the same, who won’t harm them without reason. So in that vein Geralt would take the actions of the north unkindly. Plus the fact that such fanaticism is very likely to be turned against him and his kind? For the sake of Witchers everywhere Radovid seems like bad news. Last thing he’d want is Radovid to win and then decide ‘I’m gonna march on Kahr Morhen’.

So, yeah, I think that helps sort it.

Ok that’s it, I have to play Witcher 2 first. Thanks for the replies.

2 is decent, but nothing compared to 3.
1 is nearly unplayable, you’re probably better just reading a synopsis of what happened (basically Geralt has amnesia and… stuff happens, but none of it very relevant in the end).

It’s been a while since I played 2, but I enjoyed it. If you can’t get into it again a synopsis is enough to get into 3.

As much as I love Witcher 1 and 2, this is exactly what I’d recommend - read synopsis and go straight to 3. The difference in overall quality and scope is staggering. I can’t think of any other game series with such awe inspiring difference between two (or more) games in the series.

While The Witcher 3 is the best by far, I think playing W2 would still hold up today. It was a very good game. The visuals should still be pretty good, along with the story.

Here’s a good primer if you’d rather jump straight into 3.

The problem with 2 is you have to commit to two playthroughs to see the alternate Chapter 2, which really allows the characters to shine.