The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Here’s the comparison on text (top no reshade, bottom with reshade):

Very noticable on V and W for example

edit: Managed to get my hands on STLM 2.2.1 which has Toussaint support so I’ll stick with that for a while. Your piss remover does wonders for overall lighting but it also brightens up various UI elements and adds a light blue hue to the main menu, inventory, etc.

Huh, I did not notice that aliasing, maybe due to playing on TV. Yeah it adds the blue hue but I got used to that pretty quickly, tiny price to pay for having a beautiful image :)

The clear mod from nexus seems pretty good too though, without the sideeffects.

Yeah I actually settled on that one in the end but I’ll be switching between it and stlm 2.2.1 in various places to see which one is better overall. On the other hand, if the expansion requires me going back to vanilla zones then I’ll probably stick to stlm 3.1.2 and Clear Light.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. Not only is Toussaint jaw dropping to look at, I also instantly got hooked on the mystery aspect of the main quest. Can’t wait to see where this leads.

I envy anyone discovering this game for the first time.

That would be me. I have been playing it for the first time for the last week, and it’s probably my favorite open world type game ever. I’m amazed by the writing, honestly, which hasn’t been juvenile and stupid yet.

That would be me. Bought the GOTY edition on the nice Steam sale on Friday and have been playing all weekend. I played the first game but not the second so it’s been interesting getting a grip on all the game mechanics. I’m level 4 in Velen now doing the ‘family matters’ quest. There’s some dark stuff in that one.

I’ve got 3 points in the alternate Quen skill that heals while you shield. I thought it would be nice but so far it’s just unwieldy. You can’t fight when it’s up, it only takes a few hits before it goes down and takes forever to recharge. It certainly doesn’t heal for much either. I’m going to put my next point in Griffin Techniques and hope it gets better later on. If not I guess I can respec at some point and try something else.

Edit: Wow, ninja’d.

Holy crap I actually beat the main game. I didn’t think I would ever finish it. So great. Loved the ending I got and now I’m diving right into the dlc.

I have to share this mod that I discovered today, it made playing an alchemy spec (with a gamepad to boot) a lot more enjoyable - link. I was looking for something that would allow me to filter out potions that I rarely use so I could mindlessly click through the 8 that I use all the time, along with 4 decoctions. Here’s how it looks: http://imgur.com/a/tGCL4

I don’t specifically remember how good Quen was early, but I do know that I relied on it extensively in the game as a whole. Sometimes buying yourself some safety while also healing yourself can make a big difference.

Oh I’ll have to give this a shot because I recently picked up a Steam Link to use with a controlller and inventory management in W3 can be a bit of a bear.

Yes there are a few things here. First it heals proportional to he amount of damage taken. It does make you unable to move, but that’s that. What I like to do is pop a regular Quen, do my combat stuff, and when I’m regents on stamina hold alternate Quen to heal. That way I’m protected even when I drop the regen, and can slip back to combat at any time.

But more importantly is that for every point in a sign skill you have, you increase stamina regen. Get enough points and it takes about 2 seconds to go from empty to full.

Another is to bump mutagens for blue, using alchemy. Get the greater blue mutagen and put 3 sign skills slotted to it? It increases sign effectiveness something like 60%. Which increases how much Quen shields for, and also how much you regen. At level 22 I regen something like 1/3 of my health per full alternate Quen.

I’ve gone fully down the signs and alchemy route my game. I’ve got about 8 points in non signs skills, mostly maxing the poison skill for oils, and fast attacks. But if you devote resources to it, Quen healing is amazing. That said I didn’t spec into it until about level 8.

Any sign skill? Or just points in Quen? I have 3 in Ignii, 3 in Delusion and 3 in Quen so far.

Yeah, I don’t know what that means. I have a minor green metagen slotted currently in my mutagen slot. It gives me +50 HP. What does “bump metagens for blue using alchemy” mean? Maybe modify them to be stronger using alchemy? If so, cool, I didn’t know you could do that. I think I have a blue mutagen now from killing some harpies that attacked me last night.

Also what does " put 3 sign skills slotted to it" mean? As far as I know you just dump a mutagen into a slot and it does it’s thing. Are you saying that the two sign skills I have slotted currently are affected by my mutagen but the rest of them are not?

I’ve been planning on a signs and alchemy build myself but obviously just getting started out and the alchemy part is very fuzzy to me as to which skills to pick and which are not so needed. I haven’t put any points into it yet because of that. That and of course I’ve only leveled 3 times so far.

After playing the GOG version on and off for the past two years and just making it to Skellige, I decided to try out the Friendly HUD mod. I ran into a scripting error which made me unable to load the game. I’ve been spoiled by Steam so I hated having to manually update my GOG version, and was contemplating going to a Steam version for a while now. I had also wanted to get the expansions for my GOG version but was waiting for a sale. Finally, I was so far into playing the game for over two years that I didn’t know where I was in the story and I had a ton of junk on me that I didn’t know what I was supposed to do with it. Last weekend ended up being the perfect storm for me regarding The Witcher 3 as the Game of the Year version for $25 was a no-brainer for me.

I restarted from the top and decided to go with no HUD whatsoever… no life bars, no minimap, no control reminders, no nothing. I’ve had to adapt to some things, like using the sun to figure out which direction I’m going (and I’m still pretty terrible at navigating) but a quick press of two buttons gets me to the world map and back in the right direction. After three hours in White Orchard things are going well and I can’t say I miss anything from the HUD so far, but we’ll see how I feel once I get to the first large area map.

Speaking of the HUD, as a new player I found that I hated a few things about the game minimap. First, I hated that it rotated with no fixed north, which I found very disorientating. Fortunately, there’s a HUD setting in the main configuration menu to fix that. Much better.

Second, and even more annoying was how far zoomed in the minimap default zoom level is. I wanted to be able to zoom out so that it was more useful and I didn’t have to constantly check the main map. Unfortunately, there’s no in-game menu setting for that one. Being the stubborn sort, I googled around a bit and saw there were minimap mods but I’d prefer to stay away from mods as much as I can since they can break with patches. I did notice that you could adjust the zoom level in the console though so that made me wonder if you could set it in the user.settings file under My Documents/Witcher3. Sure enough, after a bit of experimenting, I found a setting that works. It’s just one line added under the [Hud] section in the file. I’ll leave it here for anyone that wants to adjust the zoom but doesn’t want to mess around with installing a mod to do it.

[Hud]
MinimapRotation=false
MinimapZoom=0.5

First of all, and this is really important - only the slotted skills actually work! So you could for example fully level up 5 different skills from the Signs tree but if you only slot in one, then you’ll only get the effects of that one.

Mutagens can be upgraded: Lesser, Normal, Greater (you upgrade these with alchemy, but I think you need to find the recipes first). Their bonus goes higher if you match them with skills of the same color. However, they have no direct effect of the skills they’re grouped with so you don’t have to worry about that.

Alchemy + signs idea is interesting. Most of the interesting sign skills are in the top two (low level) tiers so you can get them pretty fast. If you can get enough sign intensity through gear and potions it’s certainly an option worth looking into. Try to aim for 100% burning chance on Igni as that will be your bread and butter.

As for alchemy, it starts off really slow but becomes an amazing support tree later on. However, I would recommend you install a mod that increases default potion length. I’m using the Witcher 2 potion length mod with the enhanced preset that doesn’t modify food or toxicity. As for skills - Heightened Tolerance, Acquired Tolerance, Protective Coating (please do yourself a favor and install Auto Apply Oils mod), Tissue Transformation, Synergy, Fast Metabolism. These seem like a good fit for a hybrid signs build.

You can always respec later (cost is 1k orens) so feel free to experiment.

You start with all recipies for Mutagens.

Yes, any skill point in the signs tree. They all have the same bonus, .5 stamina regen per second, per skill point in the tree. So you have 10 skill points? That is +5 stamina per second.[quote=“Coldsteel, post:6982, topic:71667”]
What does “bump metagens for blue using alchemy” mean?
[/quote]

It means that it was 11 at night, and I was typing that on my phone.

It should have been blue mutagens.

So here’s the deal, there are 3 types of mutagen, each mapped to a skill type. Red mutagens combine with attack skills, green mutagens with alchemy and oils, blue with signs. A mutagen, when slotted, provides a base bonus. The lesser green mutagen provides 150 vitality to max, the lesser blue +2.5% sign intensity, the red 2.5% attack power(?). However each mutagen slot also is paired with 3 skill slots. When you place a skill of the same type into a slot paired with a mutagen, you get that bonus applied again. So you put a green mutagen with a skill for oils? 150 for slotting the mutagen, and another 150 for pairing. If you have it paired with 3 skills that would be a total of +600 vitality.

However you can alchemy 3 of a mutagen together to increase the tier. So 3 lesser blue mutagens to make a regular blue. 3 rgular blues to make a greater blue mutagen. The greater blue mutagen increases sign intensity 10%. So slotted with 3 signs skills that gives me +40% sign intensity, which is significant.

As for alchemy I’ve actually only put a few points there myself, maxing the poison effect. Otherwise it has just been getting potions and oils, the big money sink for me. Certain things like ergot seeds and bison grass always buy out the vendor when you see them. Always.

Thanks. I killed a few more harpies and upgraded my mutagen to a greater blue one. With griffin techniques and 4 medium armor pieces I’m at +52% sign intensity and 29/100 per sec combat stam regen. It’s a big difference. The alt Quen actually is viable now.

I’ve read that you should put points into Muscle Memory right away but I haven’t since I only have 3 skill slots and I’m using all three for Ignii, Quen and Griffin Technique. I figure I’ll start on that maybe when I open the next slot at level 6.

I haven’t even tried Gwent yet. Mainly because I couldn’t afford to buy any of the cards. Hopefully cash gets easier to get at some point so I can afford to buy the cards and try it out.

By the time you get to the Baron the prices are negligable. Early game I was scrounging for coin for food. Now Geralt walks around with 10k ready to buy out any vendor selling alchemy and crafting recipes. Plus the real good cards are mostly quest given. That’s where you get your uniques.

Keep in mind I only just got a viable non northern realms deck in the last 5 hours. And it’s not better so much as different. Scoiatel is fun, and after so many matches with northern realms, I mixed it up.

Well, I’m at the Bloody Baron (doing his quest) at level 5 and have about 500 in my pocket. If I were to buy enough Gwent cards for a deck, that would be about gone since they cost 20-60 per card. Maybe I’m just missing an obvious money making opportunity? I need to keep cash on hand because repairing all my equipment costs well over 100 per pop after a few battles. Ironic considering it would all probably sell to a merchant for less than it costs to repair it.

Edit: Also, I’ve never played Gwent so not sure what’s viable, what the ‘realms’ are or even what a ‘unique’ is.