The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Yeah, and I wish games would be designed for not having a map littered with icons and they can design other ways to get info to the player.

Sweet! I appreciate all the feedback, sometimes I do think playing the entire collection of games is important but lately I’ve changed the way I approach games and now I don’t just play things for the sake of playing them. A perfect example was my experience with Half Life, I didn’t play them for the first time until about 2 years ago, it was dated and I didn’t really enjoy the experience, probably amazing for its time but considering I’d play fantastic sci fi shooters like BioShock it didn’t have the same appeal to me… However that’s the kind of game that would have been pretty necessary to play to understand part 3 (of course part 3 will never be made so RIP me and sorry for my rant ha)

My experience was this - I played all three Witcher games. I had a hard time getting through the first 2 because I didn’t read the books so didn’t really ‘get’ the universe. Even had to give W3 a second go before it finally clicked. After that, I was able to go back and play W1 & 2, and enjoy them a lot more because I understood a bit more of the universe just based on W3.

Thanks for the advice regarding map icons. I actually did look at the settings menu for this previously, but it explicitly referred to the minimap, so I didn’t realize it would affect the main map as well. It is a much better game with those question marks disabled.

I finished up a couple of minor quests and moved onto Novigrad. I miss the wilds already.

You’ve blown the minds of everyone on the Internet who asks about the proper order to play a classic game series.

Just play the latest / best one and figure out the rest later! No worries!

You can always turn round and ride south when you feel like it :)

I’ll never understand PC Gamer’s obsession with bathing Geralt.

“Statue” seems like a weird way to describe a figurine that will be massed produced, also.

All the games journalism offices have their own little inside jokes they love.

I’m guessing it’s about 14’ tall…

Just a warning up front that this is a fairly rambling post with very little payoff, but I wanted to get some thoughts down. I’ve played The Witcher 3 off and on since it was released, never really committing fully enough to beat the game. I’d like to, I just always end up falling off the wagon, if you will.

And I think I’ve put my finger on the problem, or at least one of the biggest problems, and it’s Gwent. Yes, it’s silly, but considering it’s a questline I feel obligated to follow it, despite the fact that I utterly hate this minigame. So I think maybe I’ll just screw my courage to the sticking point and abandon it, but I’m wondering two things: first, am I missing out on much if I do bail? And second, is there a critical path to getting just the necessary cards to do well, so I don’t have to play against every goddamn shopkeeper in the game? That would help me move forward I think.

The only thing that got me into Gwent is that I started watching a lot of TV at one point during my Witcher 3. Back then the Xbox had something where you could play the game and watch TV snapped to the side. That wasn’t ideal for Witcher 3, the RPG, but it was perfect for Gwent. So even though I’d ignored Gwent most of the game, when I started watching a lot of TV that month, I played a LOT of Gwent that month.

OK how about this then: seems like so many of the random shopkeeper types offer these useless character cards if I beat them, I don’t need those do I? I can kind of skip to the more critical cards and cardholders? I realize I may be making the game tougher since I may be skipping a rung in the advancement ladder, I just don’t want to play against every friggin’ character in the game.

I never touched gwent, like ever, just passed it by, dont feel like i missed anything

Dude. Skip Gwent.

Yeah, gwent is a fun diversion, if you find it fun, but it’s not something you need to get into. I ignored it completely on my first playthrough, but found it much more entertaining when I explored it on my second.

Well, I wasn’t obsessed with Gwent, I was ignoring it most of the game. I would say skip it. Don’t worry about the couple of achievements you might miss because of Gwent.

And also, turn off undiscovered POI, that will speed up your game too. I know you said you prefer to play that way, but so many of those POIs are not worth visiting anyway, and the game will guide you naturally to the ones that are important. And if you happen upon others, you might get to see something cool.

I don’t mind exploring because I enjoy that, I am just not enjoying Gwent. And it’s more about my completionist tendencies (which are the cause of, and not caused by, my achievement whoring - I was 100%’ing Rockstar Games way before there were achievements for it) that drive me to try to complete Gwent. But I may have to throw in the towel, since I know there’s a great game in there that I don’t want to miss. I really loved Witcher 2, heck I played it three times through.

So, anyway, yeah. Maybe I’ll just bail on Gwent.

Geralt’s in Soul Caliber 6: