The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone who enjoyed Witcher actually LIKE Gwent. I hated it, really hated it from the start. But then, since it pops up every now and then and I kept playing it grudgingly, I came to a point where I realized I was really good at Gwent. In the end, I was a killer at it and don’t think I lost more than a few games in total, and suddenly I was enjoying it.
Not saying you should power through if you hate it, but casually let it be a part of it and maybe you’ll suddenly find yourself enjoying it. (Since you’re a completionist…and there are a few gwent quest-lines)

Three months ago, I decided to finish reading the series and then start a play through of all three games. For the last 2.5 months, I’ve been stalled out in Lady of the Lake as Ciri wanders through mumble, mumble… Not sure why this last book is dragging for me, but I’m finding it really hard to make any progress. The random shifts in point of view and style aren’t helping, though.

I’ve really enjoyed the other books. I guess I just need to push myself over the hump and get this one done.

There are a ton of us who enjoyed Gwent. They didn’t just decide to make it a standalone game because people weren’t enjoying it.

Absolutely, I just haven’t met them yet. And as said, I really enjoyed it after a while as well, and I have the standalone game too =)

I’ve done my best to avoid Gwent on GOG. I remember the week it hit and I am pretty sure I played one day for close to 11 hours.

I recently restarted this after getting the game of the year edition. I’ve sturned off the entire HUD and it’s actually quite playable. Whenever I have to find a location I’ll being up the map and follow the roads. It makes questing much more organic and I find myself stumbling on side quests instead of running to a point on the map. Unusually I’ll wander into a village, talk to everyone, play some Gwent, and by then I have a few quests in my journal that I’ll work on for a while. Once I finish up in a village I’ll move on to the main quest or another village. Lots of fun! The lack of a UI can get me into trouble sometimes, though, as I spent a LONG time fighting a banshee that was about 8 levels above me and I didn’t realize it until I decided to turn on the level indicators just to take a peek. Still, I’m really enjoying the no-UI play through so far.

Skyrim had excellent weather and wind effects. Remember going up the mountain through light snow, then driving snow, then the wind, etc. The same for most of us on the first visit up to the College of Winterhold.

The rain was not as dynamic, in my humble opinion, but mods have taken care of both of those really well.

I agree with you on on Witcher 3 animations, dialogue and quest stories. CD Projekt Red excelled in all of those areas.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Condwiramurs/Nimue framing in Lady of the lake, but it is a tiny blemish on otherwise very enjoyable book for me. Get through it :)
I am reading Dark Tower, also had to force myself in places to power through (only 200 pages remain now though).

You’re right, I remember now. The swaying of trees and branches in Witcher 3 is really impressive, maybe it was due to more dense foliage, but I don’t remember being wowed like that in Skyrim, though it did have good weather effects, especially snowfall.

I wouldn’t mind the framing so much if the book would just stick to one. Are we listening to Condwiramurs/Nimue tell stories or reading a book Jarre wrote or hearing students reciting at a military academy or…?
I’ll get through it. I just feel like every time I start to gather momentum the frame shifts again to something new and I stall out. It’s… not how I would have chosen to write it.

I’m playing Gwent this time around. I’m not sure I understand all the love for it, but anything that keeps me in the Witcher universe longer works for me.

Since I imagine you guys have all been on pins and needles since I last updated, figured I’d let you know how things stand. I might, finger crossed, have reached an inflection point where the game is pulling me forward and I don’t feel quite so much like I’m pushing to make myself play. I’ve got myself some decent gear, and fights are going pretty well, but I’m also avoiding fighting where I can. If I’m trotting along and happen upon a bandit camp or a bunch of wolves, I just kick the shit out of Roach until he gets me out of there. Nobody got time for that.

But the main thing is changing my approach to playing, as many of you suggested. I’ve left the question marks on the map, but I’m more or less ignoring them for the time being, and focusing on knocking out quests. That’s making this feel more like an interesting game and less like work. I’ve taken out a few witcher contracts, a couple random quests roadside and village people have tasked me with, and some sidequests like boxing matches. I’m avoiding the main quest because I want to kind of knock my quest list down a little, it grows faster than I can accomplish them. But at least I’m enjoying doing so at this point, so here’s hoping I’ll stick with it.

I’ve decided I’m just going to watch a let’s play of this, as I just can not get around the movement and combat in this game. Anyone have a link to a good let’s play with someone they actually like commentating?

Probably the best.

I still think mistake is being made by not playing it yourself though :)

I have no idea how the movement/combat can be so problematic, particularly with the alternative movement enabled.

Sidequests and mainquests are the meat of the game. You really would be even better served by disabling the question marks :)

No way in hell, man. That’s going to be the candy center at the end, when all the quests are done and I can go pull down all those question marks. But not until then.

So…play the game without the question marks now, and then turn them on when you get to that point?

I don’t see the point, really. They aren’t bothering me, quite the opposite. I’m just setting them aside for now.

They’re bothering us man. Show some compassion.

I just fired this up to remind myself what it is about the movement and combat that people don’t like… and I couldn’t see a single thing. Controls well, looks great as far as I could tell. The sidestep dodge is key (I have that on Alt, maybe remapped) so the roll is not used all the time… there’s some kind of soft autotarget behaviour? I’ve no idea what people dislike, but there are plenty of combat mods, so you must all be seeing something…

Ha, you guys kill me. Maybe I’ll give it a shot then, since you clearly feel strongly about it.

Thanks for the link!!!