The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Hey there’s a foozle I want to pick up!!!..walks 3 feet past it, turn around, walks 2 feet past it, turn around, pick up foozle.

I’m sure it’s just me, as everyone loves this game. I’ve tried mods, I’ve tried settings, I just hate the movement in this game…I hate the way the character moves, I hate the way the horse moves…I feel like I’m trying to drive a brick on ice with both of them. I’m sure at some point I’ll try again, I keep trying in the hopes that I’ll just get past it, but after 4 or 5 installs it hasn’t happened yet. Farthest I’ve probably made it into the game is 7 hours, so it’s not like I haven’t tried to give it a chance a few times.

To be fair, I’ve always hated games that had character inertia as part of the movement component, at least to this degree. Maybe there is some setting or other I’m missing, like I said, I’m sure I’ll try again at some point.

Are you playing with a controller or K+M? I ask because I don’t have any of the issues you’re describing, and I’m on a PS4 with a PS4 controller (obviously). I’m not disputing your issues, just wondering out loud if it’s a K+M thing.

Also, I’m surprised the ? marks are on by default. Once I knew to turn them off (first play-through, at the end of White Orchard), I couldn’t imagine the world with them on. It would suck the life out of the world (for me). I’m playing back through with a “no fast travel” house rule, in part to give myself time to get further through the books (currently nearing the end of Blood of Elves). Having some uncertainty of whether an area I’m riding through is cleared out makes the lack of fast travel a non-issue.

There’s an alternate movement mode which fixes a lot of issues but yeah, I generally agree. Movement inertia sucks for playing.

Holy crap, I’d go nuts without fast travel. Give me the greatest hits version of the adventure please.

I just don’t quite get why they didn’t make the game control just like a standard FPS or 3rd person MMO, that is, w/s for forward or back, and a/d to strafe, with turning controlled by the mouse. Maybe the game is primarily designed for console players, I dunno, but even with a controller I can’t get my head around it.

Years late to the party, I started this in earnest yesterday. Just finished the Bloody Baron quest. Wow.

Hey cool, I’m not the only one. But yeah, I am feeling the quest now. Wrapped up all the non-main questline stuff so I finally made it to Novigrad. Ran into some old friends there, so it’s feeling more Witcher-y now. Good times.

Feel free to ignore this, it’s just me analyzing game mechanics, which I’m a big fan of doing. I think I’ve figured out exactly what it is that bugs me beyond just inertia. When you’re running at full speed and you stop, your character will move one full step past that point, if you’re not moving at full speed, he’ll only take a half step. This is part of the problem beyond just the inertia, and makes it harder to ever feel comfortable with, as it varies. If you’ve turned around to go pick something up, and didn’t make it up to full speed before you stopped again, you’ll often stop a half a step short of your target, if you get used to that, and you do reach full speed, you’ll overshoot your target by a half step.

I’m so used to movement in games just becoming second nature to me, and something I don’t think about, it’s part of the immersion in the world, and the suspension of disbelief. I’m sure if I played this long enough, I’d get used to it to the point where that would happen, I just haven’t been able to get there lol.

For what it’s worth, I’m still trying lol.

I went into this game eexpecting to give up easily due to the combat and movement, as I did with Witcher and Witcher 2, but the combat is much easier, more manageable in 3. What was it about the combat that bothered you?

I’ve been playing it here and there the last few weeks. Really liking the quests so far. Voice acting and writing are terrific.

There’s a kind of game reason for the way Geralt controls, and without spoilerizing anything, there are times in the game when you don’t control Geralt and his big ol’ tanky self.

Try the Steam controller. At first I didn’t like it, but now I couldn’t imagine playing the game another way. It controls great, to me at least.

Got a bit deeper into the Novigrad experience last night, pleasantly surprised by the decrease in combat frequency, not just while wandering the city but in the quests I’ve encountered as well. It’s a nice change from having wild dogs constantly nipping my heels out in the countryside.

So I’m pretty sure it’s time to head to Skellige. I’ve held off because I’ve got lots of things left to do in Velen and Novigrad, but most of them are way higher level than I am at currently. So I guess the game is telling me, not terribly subtly, that it’s timw to get my ass on a boat. I assume travel back from Skellige is easy to accomplish?

I’m liking the side quests, especially how main quests and side quests sort of organically flow into one another and twist around each other. I was trying to help Dandelion open a brothel/cabaret and then suddenly I’m hunting a serial killer. And then I reach the end of a quest and I’m standing right in front of some dudes trying to get my attention to start a new adventure. It’s never dull.

I’ve even been playing gwent, not really enjoying it so much, but it’s coming easier since I’ve come across some good cards. Great cards, actually. Sometimes I’ll draw then lay out a hero card, then I’m all oh wait, here’s another hero card, and then wait a minute, could it be …?

I think you can fast travel back any time from Skellige… though it’s been a while.

7 days later:

Holy shit, you’re fast. I think it took me longer than a month to get between those two points.

Doesn’t feel all that fast - but I’m definitely leaving stuff undone, though it’s mostly stuff that I’m under-leveled for. I’m taking those level suggestions seriously, I have gotten my ass kicked by getting swarmed by monsters a few levels above me.

Here’s one piece of advice about Skellige (and yes you can come and go there as you please, there’s no reason to wait if you are level-appropriate), don’t do all the question marks in the water. It’s an enormous waste of time, being both incredibly boring and unnecessary. Almost all the best loot in the game is crafted or in “Witcher France” or whatever it’s called in Witcher. Toussaint? The Blood and Wine place. Anyways, all that is out in the open ocean question marks are loot caches so unless you feel hard up for money I’d save yourself the aggravation.

The question marks in every other zone lead you to find a lot of side quests and interesting things you might otherwise never see. Except the Skellige ocean ones.

Noted! Thank you for the info. The happy middle ground I’ve worked out is leaving the question marks in, but just checking out the ones that are in my immediate area. I’m not going out of my way to grab any. I did dive for a few sunken treasure around Velen, but there weren’t that many and they were easy to get to. I’ll try to ignore the Skellige stuff.

Been cranking through a lot of content over the last week, mostly Skellige stuff though I did make it to Kaer Morhen at last. Holy crap is this game big! I never paid attention to how much stuff was available, I mean I knew Velen and Novigrad and Skellige were there, but I never paid attention on the world map that Kaer Morhen is its own geographical area. It’s smaller than the others, more White Orchard sized probably, but has it’s own quest lines. And since I have the two DLC installed, I see that at least one of them has another good-sized area to explore. This game could be a full-time job.

I’m liking Skellige, though the quests don’t seem hugely unique. Maybe unfair to expect, though I do like the Viking-like characters and decor. Everything looks cool. I really liked the mission that had me locating and supporting Hjalmar (I think that’s his name?) as he tracked down an ice giant to liberate an island. It felt dangerous, like I was behind enemy lines, constantly on alert. It’s my favorite in Skellige so far.

Also, I never paid much attention to the Witcher schools before, it’s cool to learn that they have a lot of variation. Seems the Cat school are considered basically assassins by other Witcher’s, and I hit a mission that tasked me with finding a Cat school Witcher that had wiped out a village after they stiffed him on his payment. I mean, I guess I could have let him go, but he was clearly off his knob.

I think I’m approaching end game, but it’s so hard to tell. I could move forward to get Ciri and head to Kaer Morhen, but I feel like I should wrap up some side quests. Plus I need to get cooler gear. So we’ll see.

Without spoiling anything, if you haven’t been to Kaer Morhen with her yet, then the endgame is still quite far away.