The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

What if he had his fingers crossed? That’s just basic contracts 101.

I always recommend Immersive Cam and its add-ons:

Immersive Motion, Alternative Horse Control significantly improve the way the game controls.
And with Cam you can fully customize camera to your liking (default is too far from Geralt for my taste, for example).

This is also great for immersion, but I am not sure if it is up to date:

And Sensible Map Borders is nice:

And Volumetric Clouds improve atmosphere

All these do not change the experience, only improve it.
Make sure to also set the game to have stable 60fps, and enable alternative movement response in the menu.

Wait, this is a thing? What is your reddit username, I want to stalk you too :p

As for Sapkowski…yeah, as much as I like his sarcastic deadpan ass (and obviously love his writing), he is acting like a genuine asshole here.

But I appreciate that CDP immediately called his bluff and told his blackmailing ass to fuck off.

I had to a few years ago after I said in a thread here that reddit had posted something, and you pointed out that it was you!

Why would you want to speed through White Orchard…? That’s a cool area.

@Chappers The first region is a small(er) intro and you can use it to sort out what you want to turn on / off. I played unmodded. Was there not a combat overhaul from one of the Devs at some point?

Well, the quests in White Orchard are easy to find, but without the markers, you can miss one or two of the power shrine places. So speed through in the sense that you might have seen all the cool stuff in White Orchard but still not seen all the shrines.

I’m not sure insulting people, while you are trying to get money from them that they don’t owe you, is the best way to proceed.

So…in the US, Sapkowski would likely have no standing whatsoever, based on US copyright laws.

But Poland has newer copyright laws (as Marcin Iwinski, the founder of CDPR has pointed out, Iron Curtain-era Poland had NO copyright laws), and there’s an interesting clause that might apply to this situation.

Basically, that clause states that if an entity who acquires a license to use a copyright from another individual makes monies far in excess of what could have been reasonably expected, or far above what was paid for the original copyright license…the original copyright owner is eligible to petition for a redress of that discrepancy.

There may be other mitigating factors, such as risk assumed (which would weigh heavily in CDPR’s favor) and investment costs (also in CDPR’s favor). But it may be that Sapkowski will get himself a settlement out of this.

Which, you know, I’m not inherently against the idea. The licensing was a paltry sun.

I wonder if the fact that the success of the games has increased the popularity, particularly outside of Poland, and is certainly a factor in getting a TV show licensed may be another mitigating factor in favor of CDPR. Because I think you could also argue that CDPR has indirectly caused him greater financial rewards.

However the merits based on Polish IP law and a sense of fairness are greatly diminished by his approach.

I guess I would have thought that the Netflix series is Sapkowski’s opportunity to cash in. If they want to make it, they have to go through him right?

Correct! He owns the rights to the characters and stories.

And the Netflix series is licensed through him and as explicitly stated by the network, is based on the books and not the game properties.

it scares me that netflix has full creative control to do as they please since cdpr isn’t involved, it may even damage witcher hard earned good image

Sapkowski is a creative consultant on the show. Which we have a thread for.

I started picking away again at various secondary quests, contracts, and treasure hunts in an attempt to get a bit closer to the DLC. The sheer number of question marks on the map in Skellige paralyzed me for well over a year but I’ve accepted I’m just not going to hit them all. Going to ignore a majority of the spots in the water and head back to the mainland to make some main quest progress again. It’s just tough because any particular ? could end up being a really cool mini-adventure. How on earth did they cram so much content into this game?!

Sheesh getting paralyzed for a year because you don’t listen to everyone’s advice and keep stupid question markers enabled in the menu… :)

Even with the question marks disabled, I’d still be constantly wondering what cool little bit is just around that hill, or in those woods, or in that wilderness looking area on the SE part of that island! But cutting out a lot of the water exploration seems like it’ll make things go a lot more smoothly.

Yes but that is the point, you will go there to explore naturally and not because you have an icon on your map :)

I understand the desire not to miss anything, particularly in a game so filled with great writing, but you should be able to discover almost everything even without those markers, and it will be more enjoyable to boot.

Just turn em off dude. Trust us.

I really need to stop buying new games and return to this, I haven’t touched any of the Blood and Wine content.

I’ve still got to do both DLC campaigns, but of course all that will have to wait until I’ve wrung RDR2 dry.