The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The only “clunk” I can see is in the dialogue animations, which are very basic and static…otherwise, if the OTS mode is chosen, it plays like a standard third person game with WSAD and mouse…although the combat is based on animations instead of hitboxes like in later games.

After many starts and stops, in 2012-2013, I finally played The Witcher 1 from start to finish and:

1. Enjoyed it immensely,
  2. Marveled constantly at how amazing the world looked in the game, and what an astonishing tech achievement the game was still, in 2013, and
  3. Found it incredibly playable, the story interesting, and overall the game to be nowhere near as janky as I had expected it to be.

Don’t forget, they substantially improved the original Witcher release with the ‘enhanced edition’ a year later.

Totally guilty of this myself. I finished the game originally on Playstation, and have it in Steam just collecting dust. Mr. Cavill made me finally give it a go =)

GOTY is just the game + expansions. The updates are in all versions.

One of my favorite things about the series so far (given I didn’t read the books but played all 3 games) was tying together a few of the stories that had already stuck in my head pretty hard. The first one that comes to mid is “The Last Wish” side quest, which was already pretty poignant, but makes even more sense now.

“The Witcher on Netflix prompts hundreds of thousands of fans to try to get through the swamps in The Witcher.”

This game is still one of the most amazing technical achievements, I swear it looks just as good as Red Dead Redemption 2 - maybe even moreso, if one were to prefer this art style and setting (which I would, but I do love RDR 2 and I don’t mean to take away from it).

Make sure you install the Witcher 3 HD Reworked mod.

Done, as well as the black scabbards mod! The videos made it look like a huge improvement, but the fact you didn’t know I had the mod running (and textures set to it) makes me think it’s not just me that isn’t seeing a huge difference. Maybe I don’t have it set correctly?

It’s a gigantic improvement in the textures. So if you aren’t seeing it then something is wrong. Look at a wall or the ground and if it looks very detailed it’s working. I’m guilty myself of starting up again this weekend. I beat the game many moons ago, but never did the DLC. I’m starting from the beginning because I hate myself.

Like I said, I thought it looked amazing and posted a screenshot, but then @rei told me to check out the mod, so I was confused - does my screenshot not seem to show the HD textures installed?

Looks like it to me. Find a brick wall. If that looks sharp it’s working. I’ve been messing around with lighting mods as well, but I think I might give up on that. I refuse to Skyrim this game as I’ll never actually play it. :)

I played the games in order. Witcher 1 is long. Witcher 2 is short, I played it twice over, because Act 2 demands it in order to see all content. Witcher 3 is…very long and has a lot of filler content that I would avoid so you don’t get burnout. In fact only doing the main quest and main quest-adjacent side quests is the best way to go.

That is something that happens to me, as well, and the only reason I installed the HD mod is because it was just about the only graphics mod, and everyone agreed it was amazing. I also went with one other mod that makes scabbards black, because that’s cool and it was super easy. I did find a shadow/lighting mod, but it was hugely advertised as “a work in progress” and I didn’t want to deal with trouble-shooting.

I don’t know if you are talking to me or not, I’ve actually beaten the game years ago and then also beat both expansions (by rolling up the pre-made characters for both when they came out), so it’s not a big deal if I play for 4 hours, 10 hours, who knows and then just pivot to other games.

However, one thing that I found interesting, is I find the combat a lot more interesting and easier to pull off than I did years ago. I suspect it’s playing more games like Dark Souls, Sekiro, and Jedi: Fallen Order very recently that makes it a little easier on me to dodge, roll, and pick my moments better. I’m only just about level 2 and I tackled some really hairy enemies so far (one was literally very hair, a level 4 bear) without too much trouble on normal difficulty. It’s this, I think, that will pull me in and keep me here more than anything else. At least for now.

Lot of filler content? I think that’s debatable. Side quests in Witcher 3 never felt like filler content to me - I can’t remember a single simple fetch quest or kill x rats quest. That’s what impressed me most with the game.

I didn’t scrutinize the screenshot before I recommended the mod

Yeah, but by default, the question marks are turned on. So the way most people will experience the game is to try to go to all those question marks, and most of them don’t amount to much, so it just feels like filler upon filler upon filler. I fell into this trap myself early on before I followed people’s advice and turned off the question marks. I’m glad I did, because without the question marks the game is fantastic.

If you have ##preset_value_Halk Ultra HD instead of Halk Ultra HD in graphic settings - install Custom Localization Fix:

It’s not an important matter, but if it bothers you, it’s easy to fix it