The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Well, I got the thing updated but now my mods aren’t all updated and I seem to have conflicts that I can’t resolve.

I really only want a few QoL mods like Fast Travel from anywhere, basically no weight limit for inventory, indestructible weapons, that sort of thing. Maybe an Autoloot one.

For now I’ve uninstalled all mods but I think I borked the install somehow (because the game never actually launches, although Task Manager shows it in the Details tab) and now I’m rerunning verify and repair. Fingers crossed. I guess this is why people game on console, to not deal with this stuff.

Well, crap. I uninstalled all mods, did a Verify and Repair, rebooted yadda yadda, and I can’t get the game to actually start. Tried both DX 11 and DX 12 version. Earlier yesterday the “classic” 1.32 version was working fine.

Sure hope I don’t have to reinstall. That’s a big-ass download.

If I can’t get this resolved, how does this thing run on the Series X, and what can I get the GOTY for on sale?

Question about the Xbox “Complete” physical version, BTW: by default it should work on the Series X whatever the box says, right?

Does that also mean that it will be able to d/l the current gen update for free?

Great, and like always.

You would rather buy the game on another (inferior, mod-free) platform, then redownload the game?
I guess you have some extreme data cap or something?

Nah, I ended up nuking the install and redownloading it after all. I tried a bunch of things recommended online but nothing worked.

One curious thing is that, when I told Galaxy to uninstall it, just to be cautious I checked Add/Remove Programs in Windows 10 and saw that it hadn’t uninstalled the two big DLCs nor the initial 16 free DLCs from early on.

Originally I got the game due to the purchase of a 970 video card, then got HoS and BaW much later, so that probably explains that.

Can someone 'splain decoctions to me? I’ve never used them before but recently started a NG+ and think I might give them a shot. Just curious if they’re worth it regarding toxicity and how that’ll affect gameplay.

I’d be curious about that as well.

It’s a high ratio of futzing to utility from what I remember. I think one of them boosts the amount you can carry, which is good for getting back to town when you’re overloaded, but none of the others added up to much. Increased stamina recovery at night on Tuesdays! There are probably one or two good ones in there but the UI kind of hides them as you build a long list.

Did this finally get patched up to where performance was good with all the fancy new graphics?

At 1440p with Performance RT ambient occlusion and DLSS on, my 3060 Ti gets in the mid-upper 40s FPS, which is fine.

The main problem was extreme CPU bottleneckedness with RT enabled in busy places like Novigrad, this has been mostly fixed in latest patch, with good CPU it is finally possible to get 60fps everywhere now with RT enabled.

I just started playing indepth for the first time after bouncing off it when it was released. I’m hovering around 50 fps at 1440p with my 3060 ti. I have RT on for occlusion, shadows and reflections. Strangely, when I switch between performance and quality there isn’t a change in fps. I’ve been roaming the countryside so it might drop when I hit an area bigger than a village.

Figured this was worth sharing - Doug Cockle, the voice of Geralt in the Witcher video games, shared that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He mentions he is currently in treatment, and fortunately prostate cancer is highly treatable and quite survivable. Best of luck to him.

Doug Cockle 🐺⚔️🧸 on Twitter: “I had no idea. Random check and Boom… I have full blown prostate cancer. Treatment ongoing but looking good so far. Men over 50… get a PSA test… just in case. 🙂❤️ More info at @ProstateUK #MensHealth #health #prostatecancerawareness #prostatehealth” / Twitter

Hey guys, quick question about Witcher gear–is one of the parts of the “recipe” for it always the basic beginning armor or weapon?

For instance, if I have the Level 1 Silver and Steel Swords, and get the Viper (AKA Serpentine) Swords* made, are the next ones (the Griffin ones, say) made on the basis of the Viper ones, or what? Do I have to dismantle the previously crafted Witcher gear to get other Witcher gear? I’m at Level 10 right now, so what would be appropriate for my level (I’m assuming some Witcher gear has minimum levels)?

*These have no directly corresponding armor, it seems.

The upgrade path for the witcher schools gear, that is cat/wolf/bear/griffin gear is base item > enhanced > superior > mastercrafted > grandmaster.

You must have the previous rank item in order to upgrade it. It is a required material in the crafting recipe.

There are some outliers, like the viper and manticore plus the leather armor that can be upgraded once.

You don’t need to disassemble gear, unless you really need the materials.

Thanks for the reply. Among the “schools” then --griffin, cat, bear etc.-- you don’t need to discard any set from one school to craft another, if I’m understanding it right. You can have both base griffin armor and base wolf armor, for instance, or an enhanced bear steel sword and an enhanced cat one.

That is correct. You can also mix and match equipment, you don’t have to wear everything from one school until much later in the game where the set bonuses come into play.

Also, the gear matters a bit early, then it really doesn’t. At least until the 3 and 6 piece set bonuses much much later.

So it’s all about wearing what you think looks good. IMO

Thanks.

Another question for anyone: At my current level (10 verging on 11) I only have a minimal number of slots on the character screen to put upgraded skills in (6 or 8 I think), and they’re all occupied. Is there any point to upgrading other skills before you can move them into one of those slots? They’d be sitting there inert, right?