The Witcher spoiler thread

In the sewers (beginning of Chapter 2), there is a deeper level, a crypt infested by a crazy cult. Wipe them out and search in the NE corner for the fire stone.

You get some square symbols that are marked as Quest items when you examine the holy statue in the Swamp (the one you lead Gramps to). If you put the corresponding named symbol in the corresponding hole-filled stones that are scattered around the Swamp, energy starts to flow from the stone toward the sky. Geralt remarks that “the old magic still works” or something similar. I imagine that when you’ve done this to all the stones, stuff will happen. I just wanna know who wants me to do this or if I should just go ahead and do it anyway. Just because I can.

I don’t know if it will work if you don’t talk to Kalkstein or not but he’s the one you need to talk to.

Thanks Njal.

A tip. Definately go see Gramps in his hut. Hehehee. It seems they botched that a bit since you can get both books you need for the monolith quests from the same guy in Vizima. Don’t think it was intended like that originally? Still, Gramps is worth a visit.

If you sided with Abigail, I think Geralt is the one that killed everyone, but the Dwarf/Elf resistance movement gets blamed for it.

So here’s a spoilerrific question. I’m in chapter 2 and I’ve got a quest where I can support the elves on one hand or the Order on the other. I can’t say I like either side so I guess I always have the choice of not doing anything at this particular point, but I’m wondering what non-plot related benefits there are for picking a side. Meaning, which side gives the best rewards considered over the entire game. Right now I’m inclined to side with the Order just to get access to their street-side blacksmith so I won’t have to endure the load screen when I visit the Dwarf blacksmith in the non-human quarter but I’m sure there will be other things to consider.

Very funny :) I only played through once so I don’t really know what the other options might have brought. The choices you make now don’t tie you to a side for the whole game though. If you see the error of your ways and want to change alleigances later, you pretty much can.

Also, the whole “not choosing a side” goes away later- the game will force a decision.

So what side gives better loot/monies?

Dumb question here. How the fuck do I know what Chapter I’m in? I have quests from prologue to chapter 2 in my journal. I’m still in the outskirts, and I’ve not yet fought the beast.

My biggest problem at this point is cash, I’m still trying to make some to buy the various books around on vendors before I delve into the chapter plot. I can one shot any fist fight, but the save-load of dice just seems like a stupid console-ish way to make money. Is there something I should be selling here? Maybe the stacks and stacks of food everywhere I pretty much leave alone?

If you’ve not yet fought the beast you’re in chapter 1. Chapter 2 starts after you enter the city.

In chapter 2 dice playing was my primary way of making money quickly. You don’t have to do save/reload dancing if you don’t want to since the ai is horrible at judging odds.

Loot is generally worth a pittance. Quest rewards are a much bigger part of your income. Which doesn’t mean you should ignore loot. It adds up.

You’re in Chapter One, if you’ve not fought the Beast. From Chapter Two on (I think) they all have big titles showing what chapter you’ve just entered in the starting cutscene. Don’t remember it from the first chapter, which begins as you enter the Outskirts.

Only for one small section, then you can go back to being neutral. It’s what I did because then your last card is two nurses which I figured was better than an elf or a butch warrior chick.

What the hell was the hedgehog reference?

Does the Reverend hang out in or around his house or the Chapel from the start of Chapter 1? The reason I ask is that I’ve never seen him anywhere and I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking for him. And yes, I’ve checked his cellar in all of the 567 times I’ve been in his house and yes, I use ALT to look for him. Also, is Mikul supposed to be at one of the three gates? Because I haven’t seen him, either.

I’ve finished all of the quests I could find without talking to the Reverend (got his ring from one of the villagers). Odo, Haren, the contracts, and various other stuff. I’ve bought and read all of the books I could find. I have 8 levels in Novice Witcher and about 2k gold. Piles of potions and reagents. Now I mostly just wander around town looking for the Reverend, and it’s getting kind of old. Did I fail to trigger something, or might this be a bug?

It looks like it’s a bug because I loaded a game from that scripted combat with the Barghests when you first arrive at the outskirts, killed them, ran to town and the Reverend was in his bed.

One thing that was different was that those three militia members at the town entrance got killed by Barghests in as soon as I got there. Are those guys supposed to die? They’re still alive in my regular game.

They died both times I tried it, tho the first time they attacked me half way thru and I killed them all, thus the second try were they died all on there own.

They’ll respawn. I don’t think anyone that needs to stay alive is outside at night when it’s dangerous.

Beat it. The Ending was a total surprise, and I’m not sure how much of your decisions factor into it, but this game seems to require a second playthrough just to find out.

Can someone just sort of give me hints for this one (without completely spoiling the full game)?

In the books is there the Sco’ietae? If they are, what is Geralt’s opinion on them (an approximate chapter in the respective book would help too if you have it handy, but unnecessary)? I know he got caught by a few elves in the end of The Last Wish and they almost killed him, but that’s the only thing I know about Geralt’s experience with elves (he fought along with some dwarves in Sword of Destiny).

Does allying yourself with either the Sco’ietae or the Order change the ending of the game significantly (i.e. the nonhumans being all but wiped out, or the country erupting into a civil war)? Just a yes/no for that this one please.

Similarly, does allying yourself with either of those factions give you more XP than staying neutral? I’m not sure if I believe in either of their cause, but I’m a completionist so it seems like you would get less quests by staying neutral and thus less XP.