The worst sword ever

hm, you could make one of those things where you tear the middle out of a bread slice and fry an egg in it.

In that vein, perhaps Soulcutter from Saberhagen’s Book of Swords trilogy might fit the bill as “worst evar”:

Soulcutter , “The Sword of Despair” or “The Tyrant’s Blade,” causes a deep malaise to affect all those around the wielder, including the wielder, who may very well starve to death from apathy with his enemies lying around him.

IF you like that watch Thunderbolt Fantasy season 2 (well watch 1 too as it’s awesome) but 2 specifically has a plot around an evil sentient sword the Seven Blasphemous Deaths.

Toad in the hole.

What’s wrong with that sword? That looks pretty cool. In fact, I want that one for my Guild Wars 2 character.

Okay, now I know you’re trolling because that sword is totally awesome. It’s like something Bayonetta would pull out of her garter belt.

-Tom

Sadly, the most effective combat swords (as in, swords that were actually used in real war stuff) tend to be plain, unadorned, and free of notches, hooks, protrusions and what not. Sort of like armor, where smooth and simple meant no place for an enemy’s weapon to dig in. And of course, weapons IRL tended to be a lot lighter than their fantasy counterparts, because, duh. But none of that matters that much unless you are doing replicas or a hyper realistic sort of thing, because the coolest swords are usually the most unrealistic.

Pick one. I was going for functional, but go where your mood takes you.

As a whole sword it’s even worse.

You really need to insert a pic

One, Bat’leth aren’t swords. Two, i can actually see them being functional. Well, defensively. Ya, the more i think about it doing anything other than blocking swinging things becomes increasingly…difficult.

What goes in that gap on the inside side (the hole nearly complete)? And that little edge below that tears your hand apart.

I dunno, that looks like it fails as both a gun and a sword.

Okay, hear me out: what if we took an assault rifle and stuck a chainsaw on it?

-Tom

Would the chainsaw curve upwards past the barrel so as to get in the way of the bullets?

For your esteemed consideration; perhaps not the worst sword, but worst sword accoutrement?

And in what universe is that a sword? Stay on topic hear tom.

Like, 40K, duh.

At least we have tournaments! These are just drawings, but they’re period drawings and supposedly representative of real or nearly-real tournament weapons and armor.

There were of course different components to a tournament. There was the preening and show-off bit, for which there was no such thing as too elaborate, and then there was the actual get down to business part. There, yeah, you’d find more flashy stuff probably than on a battlefield. I haven’t done any research into it, but I do wonder what the successful tournament (melee) competitors used. Jousting or tilting was something of another matter, with very specialized needs.

I am somewhat skeptical, though, that people with their lives on the line would sacrifice survivability for bling. Well, not more than once. Then again, humans be humans.

I would have to go with Stormbringer, the sword of Elric of Melnibone. It fed on the souls of anyone Elric cared about, eventually feeding on Elric, himself. Yeah, thats not a sword I want.

Yeah!

Ha ha, Tom’s a nerd, he likes nerd swords

Yeah, but having Stormbringer let Elric blame the sword for being such a mope, when in fact he was just a mopity mope.

I have considered naming a black kitten Stormbringer, but early in college I suddenly became allergic to cats. :/