The WoW game sales depression poll

This poll is to try and get an idea of how WoW has affected people’s other gaming habits.

Personally, I tend to still buy games, even if I don’t get around to playing them. But I have money to burn; my assumption is that other people aren’t as free with their spending, and if they play a lot of WoW, they probably don’t buy as many other games.

The focus is mostly console games, but any lack of game buying based on WoW will add to the depression, so use your discretion.

I voted for the first “not suffered at all” option. But what I really meant is that I used to play WoW, but other, better games limited my WoW playtime, so I had to dump it.

Option 2 was true for most of 2005 but I did buy several games recently and have played some of them.

Well what I do is buy games that I know will be hard to find later once my WoW obsession goes away ( which wont be soon ). Mainly thats GBA and DS games but I have snagged a few gamecube and PS2 games that are on the rare side.

My spending has slipped a bit but its prolly mainly because of getting a new job that pays less and sucks more :(

Since I got hooked on WoW (I’m sorry for all those things I said about you, baby, I didn’t know what I was saying, it was crazy talk.), I’ve only played a few other games through, and usually after significant delay between purchase and play. The GR2 expansion and FEAR are all I can think of. I played some Hulk Ultimate Destruction, but didn’t get far. After a couple months of looking at games on my shelf still in shrink-wrap, I quit buying them because it is a waste of money. When I am done with WoW, all those games will be waiting for me, and even cheaper or used.

This isn’t just games. WoW is a significant part of the reason I’m not trying to get an Xbox360 or a Nintendo DS. If a $50 game sittting unused bugs me, I hate the idea of $200-$500 worth of console and accessories as a dust collector.

I should add that I used to budget $150 to $200 a month for games & hardware. That’s down to $15 for a WoW subscription.

When I my wife and I were playing DAoC, we pretty much stopped buying other games for almost four years.

WoW didn’t hold our attention for much longer than six months and, while our game consumption dropped off when we were into it, now we’re back to our old habits.

Did not affect me at all, only held my interest for 1.5 months. Trying CoV now, it’s MOTS, but I’m liking it better than the beta so far.

Used to play WoW, got bored with it and quit playing. What’s the poll option for that?

That would be the last one, since “I don’t play WoW” specifies the present condition.

I started playing WoW in January; in the last 11 months, I’ve purchased maybe three other games, if that. Prior to WoW, I was buying at least one or two games per month.

I bought less while playing WoW and have done the same thing while playing DAoC and EQ. That is one of the things I really hate about MMOs, the missing out on a lot of good games. The game pipeline is generally so full that if I don’t play something relatively quickly after it is out there is already new shinier stuff out to play and I forget about it or I pick it up in the bargain bin and gets played for like an hour before I go play something else.

– Xaroc

I’ve been in that boat before. I missed out on playing a lot of the classics of the late 90s when they were intially released because of Ultima Online, but I eventually got around to playing most of them and I still enjoyed them very much. I actually still have a pretty big back-log of games from last year, and due to WoW, I’ve barely played any of the games released this year, but I’m pretty sure I’ll get around to some of them – the really good ones I hope.

I’ve bought almost no games recently. I picked up Dragon Quest VIII and played the first 10 hours or so in a binge. I love it–it represents everything I appreciate in a console RPG and I normally would have played it right through to the end over a couple of weeks (and maybe even played it through twice). But the box just lurks on my coffee table. I’ve started a new Warlock in WoW and I want to level him up!

ian

I’ve been in that boat before. I missed out on playing a lot of the classics of the late 90s when they were intially released because of Ultima Online, but I eventually got around to playing most of them and I still enjoyed them very much. I actually still have a pretty big back-log of games from last year, and due to WoW, I’ve barely played any of the games released this year, but I’m pretty sure I’ll get around to some of them – the really good ones I hope.[/quote]

Don’t talk to me about backlogs… I’ve stil got to do Ultima VII properly.

For shame!

Christmas holidays are coming up. You owe it to yourself.

How much of the game have you played? It’s an amazing game. Still, my favorite single-player RPG ever.

I’ve been in that boat before. I missed out on playing a lot of the classics of the late 90s when they were intially released because of Ultima Online, but I eventually got around to playing most of them and I still enjoyed them very much. I actually still have a pretty big back-log of games from last year, and due to WoW, I’ve barely played any of the games released this year, but I’m pretty sure I’ll get around to some of them – the really good ones I hope.[/quote]

Don’t talk to me about backlogs… I’ve stil got to do Ultima VII properly.[/quote]

buy a zaurus so you can have it in your pocket at all times.

How much of the game have you played? It’s an amazing game. Still, my favorite single-player RPG ever.[/quote]

I didn’t play it when it was new because I didn’t have a PC at the time… later, I played it via Exult for a short ways. Got through Trinsic, learned about the Brotherhood, wandered around Britain. I drifted from it because other new shiny games were probably grabbing my attention, and also because I found the combat system unintuitive. Plus, Iolo whining for food every 3 minutes didn’t help.

Still, I intend to complete it one of these days. Otherwise it marks a huge gap in my knowledge of CRPG history. All the more shame given that I am a major Ultima fan (mostly of Ultimas I-V though).

Yeah, ultima 7’s combat was pretty shitty. Definitely the only black mark against the game. No pun intended.

It’s too bad the sprites are so limited, otherwise it would be fun to tack some kind of diablo style combat on the game (cause that’s really what they were trying for, and failing). Exult is going to add some combat tweaks in the next major revision but I’m not sure exactly how far they’ll take it.

Not suffered at all, it’s my job. 3% [ 3 ]

Are you guys farmers?