The X-Com Files: Play the early history of the agency

Has anyone gotten oxce working on Android? I downloaded the APK just fine, but I stuck the XCOM folder from my steam install in there and no matter what I do the app just tells me no game data found. The button is confusingly labeled something like “copy UFO folder data”. It’s really user-unfriendly compared to Straciatella for JA2, which “just worked”.

Nooo, you bumped the thread! Do you know how much time I wasted on this goofy little X-com mod? Because it pales in comparison to the time I then spent in vanilla X-com once I got too frustrated with the mod! That’s easily my most played game this year. Vanilla X-com. : /

Using Open X-com Extended, of course. Sorry I can’t help you to get it running in Android, but unless you’ve got about a hundred hours to spare, you’re welcome.

Well I did get it working just now, so I’m not welcome at all! I’m not trying this mod, as I’ve never actually played the original game. Figured I would start there and then maybe move to X-Piratez someday.

Hall of Shame material right there, @Kolbex. Your secret is safe with me.

Well in my (UFO) defense it came out a couple of years before I even had a “real” computer (growing up I had a hand me down Commodore 64 that I barely knew how to operate, and later I did my school papers on my stepdad’s old Kaypro, complete with insanely loud daisy wheel printer). My knowledge of games at the time was pretty much delimited by what they covered in Nintendo Power, the odd issue of Computer Gaming World purchased from the magazine rack at Waldenbooks and whatever was on the shelves at the tiny software shop adjacent to the furniture store on the main drag, although that might have actually gone out of business before X-Com came around. It was certainly a different time.

Yeah, I didn’t make it too far with X-com files. Fun concept, but it needs work.

Yeah I only had an Amiga back when UFO: Enemy Unknown was doing the rounds but I was also only a kid so never played it. Years later, like 2007 or something, I downloaded an Amiga emulator and somehow ended up with a huge collection of ROMs, in among them was UFO. ‘Oh I remember the artwork for this!’ and give it a spin and it scared the crap out of me. I fell in love, bought the PC version and eventually the UX ground my playthrough to a halt. Thankfully OpenXcom was around the corner and I was back in business. Such an incredible game, even all these years later.