The X-Files is Back!

I agree, but I do hope since it’s happening so soon after the last one and this season is a little longer that it will feel less like they are just trying to cram in one of each type of X-Files episode. “We need to do one that ties into the alien mythology, and one that’s a monster of the week, and one that’s goofy, etc.”

I watched tonight’s show, and they’re back to the overarching mythos. Maybe it’s just the fan from back when speaking, but despite some pretty turgid writing in some (all?) of Mulder’s voiceovers, I still enjoyed it overall. And Skinner’s back! The young versions of Mulder and Scully appeared in like half a scene, just so we wouldn’t forget they existed.

I read that Anderson is definitely out after this season. She’s had enough, which is pitty but not too surprising as she has lots of other things going on.

Curious to see if they would try to continue without her, like they did without Mulder back in the day…

Well…

Excuses, excuses.

I was quite disappointed by it. It just seemed like it was full on action with action music all the time, with no real action of interest. Just more of the same of what I would expect. Too frantic and not interesting.

There was way too much internal monologue, especially from Mulder.

Dumbest retcon ever? Maybe. It’s certainly up there with “The Sandman actually killed Uncle Ben” and “Captain America was Hydra all along.”

Yikes, that was bad… What is the timeline here? Couldn’t quite figure out when Scully’s dream began, I guess at some stage between Episode 10.5 & 10.6?

(& even though I dislike mentioning this, but Duchovny really aged between season 10 & 11.)

He’s getting pretty jowl-y, but hey, aren’t we all? He’s still no Vincent D’onofrio.

Tonight’s show was a lot of fun, gotta say. :-)

(and how is Gillian Anderson still so smokin’ hot??)

I’m kind of disappointed, I really connected with the audio dramas which really felt like the best of the series I remember. As a result this isn’t connecting as much for me…especially since they don’t seem to be tying them together.

Audio dramas? Are we talking about the X-Files here?

Yes, here. There is a sequel series as well. With all the actors from the show, including the lone gunmen and the smoking man, and a bunch of others. Really good actually. These series do a great job of closing out the old open plot points from the series, which the new TV series seems loath to touch

Very interesting. They have such mixed reviews on Amazon that I would never have given that a second look. Thanks for the recommendation! Next time I subscribe to Audible again, I’ll check them out.

Yes, I’ll admit I would never have gotten it without the 1 free title a month I’m getting with the subscription, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

I’m enjoying watching these new episodes, but it won’t bother me much if this is all she wrote. Both the conspiracy arc and the Mulder/Scully relationship are being stretched way too thin IMHO. They’re doing a lot of old episode references which are fun for me, but you can only take that so far. If this season is the last hurrah, I’m good with that.

Well if what Anderson has said repeatedly is true, then this is the last hurrah for the X Files… at least the Mulder and Scully version. It may continue either with new agents or in a spin off of some kind but for Scully, at least, the ride is over.

I’d be ok with Lauren Ambrose and that other guy starting a next generation of xfiles.